Page 1 of 213 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Naoki Yoshida's Comment in Regard to Jump Potions/Boost Potions

Greetings,

Today, producer/director Naoki Yoshida made a post regarding player feedback and comments that have been discussing the "jump potions" that are available in the Korean and Chinese versions of FINAL FANTASY XIV. I'd like to share that post with you all here.

We also look forward to your feedback regarding this topic as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Naoki_Yoshida View Post
    Hello, FFXIV Producer/Director Yoshida here.

First off, I would like to take a moment to thank everyone for their feedback on the "Jumping Potion," which I recently discussed in various interviews across Japan, North America, and Europe.

The community’s feedback is extremely important when determining whether to implement a feature or not. Of course, these decisions are not solely decided based on the feedback that is presented in the official forums. However, regarding this topic, we want to make the final decision after we look at it from all angles.

To further discuss this matter, I would like to provide the intentions and specifications of the "Jumping Potion" that is currently available in the Chinese and Korean versions of FINAL FANTASY XIV. Although it is quite lengthy, it would be great if you could take a moment of your time and read through the details.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Intentions Behind Implementing the Jumping Potion

The main reason we decided to implement the "Jumping Potion" was to "make it easier for the newer players to catch up with the rest of the community."

It has been over three years since we launched FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn. Once Stormblood is released, in order for the new players to catch up to existing players, they would have to complete the main quests for both A Realm Reborn and Heavensward, level up their job to 60, and then collect the appropriate gear.

For example, if I was to attempt to convince my friend to play Stormblood, the obvious response would be "Even if I wanted to, it would be impossible to catch up if I was to start now." While I’ll do my best to make sure my friend can catch up as soon as possible, I would still like to enjoy the existing content and make sure I don't fall behind myself. At this point, I would feel like there's a limit to how much I can help.

If my friend was bumped up to level 60, then I can help them level up even further, go through the main story, and enjoy Stormblood with my friend while leveling up one of my additional jobs.

Simply put, this is the main intention of implementing a "Jumping Potion."

Including the free trial version, we are seeing several thousand new players play FINAL FANTASY XIV every day. While FINAL FANTASY XIV might be one of those games wherein new players can catch up to the top-end of the players relatively easy, not everyone has a lot of free time to spend on the game. A lot of people enjoy gaming as much as they can with their limited free time while managing their busy lives.

While people will be able to catch up even easier after the release of Stormblood with the adjustments we will make to the amount of experience points obtained, it would still require a lot of time just to reach the starting point of Stormblood.

If an MMORPG is not able to recruit new players, all that is left is for the game to stabilize and eventually go on a decline. At that moment, the type of operation of the game would shift to one that works hard to slow down the pace of decline. To prevent the game from reaching that point, we would like to prepare as much as we can for the potential new players that may be interested in the game.

Furthermore, due to the Armoury System in FINAL FANTASY XIV, players are able to experience all the classes and jobs that are available on a single character. While there are a lot of players that have every class/job leveled up all the way, there are also players that only have time to level up one job. We believe the “Jumping Potion” would become an incentive to try other classes/jobs. Additionally, players would not have to worry as much about spending time on leveling and focus on gearing up their alternate class/job by visiting existing content and ultimately, increase the clear rate of the existing content.

It would also make it easier for players that stopped playing the game to come back and enjoy the new content.

These potions are currently implemented in the Chinese and Korean versions of the game, but not the global version. Online games are particularly huge in China and Korea and this type of service is provided commonly among online games released in these regions. We implemented the service in the Chinese and Korean versions of the game to make sure the game can stay competitive in their online gaming markets.

Additionally, this service is recently becoming much more popular in MMORPGs released in North America and Europe.

Please note that I only mentioned the positives in this portion of the explanation because we were specifically going over our original intentions with regard to implementing the feature.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The types of Jumping Potions

While often referred to as a “jumping potion,” we are actually separating this into two different potions that have different effects, so with that said I would first like to define what they are and clarify the main points that will be discussed.

1. Story Skip Potion
    This is a potion that will allow you to complete the progress of the main story, and it’s a shortcut through the main scenario.

This is currently on sale for the Chinese and Korean versions of the game under the name of "Adventuring Records of A Realm Reborn." By purchasing this item and using it, it allows you to automatically clear through the final main scenario quest of Patch 2.55, "Before the Dawn." I'll speak more on the specifics of how it works below.

Furthermore, we’re in the midst of developing the "Adventuring Records of Heavensward" item for the Chinese and Korean versions. This is also a potion that will allow you to clear the main scenario quests through the end of Patch 3.5 Part 2.

To compare this to a television series, season one is A Realm Reborn, season two is Heavensward, and the newest expansion Stormblood will be season 3. With this potion, you'll be watching the memoirs of season 1 and 2 from an inn, and then actually watching season 3. Naturally you will have to actually watch the latest season, so the short cut will only allow you to skip through to the end of the previous season.

2. Job Jump Potion
    This is a job leveling potion that can be applied towards a single job. We’ve prepared the potions on a job to job basis such as “Adventuring Records of the Paladin” and “Adventuring Records of the Warrior,” so it’s not the case that you will be able to use a single potion and instantly max out all of the jobs.

By purchasing and using this potion, the respective job will jump to level 50. (When Stormblood goes on sale, this will be upgraded to a potion that will jump the job up to level 60, and we plan to eliminate the current level 50 potion.) Furthermore, at the moment we also distribute weapons at a certain item level to go along with this, as well as multiple silver chocobo feathers, which can be exchanged for item level 130 equipment of your choosing. This will equip that job with the minimum equipment needed.

With this potion, the player will have to experience the main scenario for themselves, so the main usage would be for those people who want to increase their level to the previous level cap and/or level up additional jobs a bit more efficiently.

There are no potions for machinist, dark knight, and astrologian since these require the expansion, and we’re still discussing whether we will add them with the release of Stormblood. We’ve already decided that we will not be including potions for the new jobs that are going to be implemented with Stormblood. (This is based on the core principle that we want players to level the new jobs themselves.)

Details on How the Jump Potions Work

Based on the above, I'd like to take a moment to explain in detail how the two potions work for the Chinese and Korean versions of the game.

・Story skip potion "Adventuring Records of A Realm Reborn"
    Requirements for purchasing "Adventuring Records of A Realm Reborn"

1. Must have an active service account and have created a character.
    2. The account must be paying the monthly subscription fee (free trial accounts are not eligible).

Only when fulfilling the above two requirements can the potion be purchased via the Mog Station. (The item will be delivered via Mog Letter, so you will have to have access to a Delivery Moogle.)

When using this potion, the following will occur.

1. The quest "Before the Fall" will be set as cleared, and you will be able to undertake the main scenario quest "Coming to Ishgard."
    2. You will automatically join the Grand Company of your starting city-state (starting at the lowest rank).
    3. You will automatically be given a personal chocobo (a generic name will be given to it).
    4. All aetherytes for A Realm Reborn will be unlocked.
    5. All dungeons implemented up to Patch 2.55 will be set as cleared.
    6. The Unending Journey, which can be used at inns and such, will be entirely unlocked for everything that was completed.
    7. Unlock quests for the minimum required features will be set as cleared.

Anyone that has yet to clear "Before the Dawn" is able to use this potion. Even if you've stopped playing while you were progressing through the main scenario quests of Patch 2.4, the potion will yield the same effect; however, if you already belong to a Grand Company and/or have a chocobo, your existing status will take priority over the potion's effect.

Additionally, since it will be possible to use the Unending Journey, you'll be able to experience the portions of the story that was skipped in a digest format. In order to make it possible to use each of the different roulettes, the dungeons for A Realm Reborn are set as cleared.

While there is a difference between the item price in China and Korea, this potion is around 2500 Japanese yen as of right now.

・Job jump potion "Adventuring Records of the Paladin" (I’ll use paladin as an example here.)
    Requirements for purchasing "Adventuring Records of the Paladin."

1. Must have an active service account and have created a character.
    2. The account must be paying the monthly subscription fee (free trial accounts are not eligible).

Only when fulfilling the above two requirements can the potion be purchased via the Mog Station. (The item will be delivered via Mog Letter, so you will have to have access to a Delivery Moogle.)

When using this potion, the following will occur.

1. Paladin’s base class, gladiator, will become level 50.
    2. The secondary class required for paladin, conjurer, will become level 15.
    3. A sword of a certain item level will be distributed (item level 120 for the Korean version).
    4. Paladin’s job stone will be distributed.
    5. The job quests for paladin will be set as cleared up to the level 50 quest. (Actions will also be given.)
    6. An item that worth roughly 300,000 gil that cannot be traded will be distributed as funds for equipment.
    7. Multiple silver chocobo feathers will be distributed, which can be exchanged for equipment.

When using this potion, there are no restrictions such as only being able to use it on your starting class, and we've made it so job quests are completed so you are ready for battle at level 50. By exchanging the silver chocobo feathers, you'll be able to procure the minimum required gear of your choosing.

Nothing else will happen other than the above, so with this potion, you can boost your job level and just enjoy the main scenario. You can think of this as starting a new game as a stronger character. Since there is the level sync feature for each of the dungeons and trials, you'll be able to learn your job while you progress through the story as well.

Having separate job potions is something unique to FFXIV. This is because the requirement to change to a specific job and the necessary equipment for each job is different per job, and also because leveling all jobs at the same time with a single potion is too much of a shortcut.

Similar to the story skip potion, this is about 2500 Japanese yen per job.

For the Korean version there is also a story skip potion and job jump potion set, and this is an option sold only for new players and returners as a starter pack.

Finalized Changes to the Feature upon the Release of Stormblood

As I stated previously, the specifications mentioned above are for the potions in the Chinese and Korean versions of the game. We've decided that the potions will change in following ways for the Chinese and Korean versions upon the launch of Stormblood.

• The story jumping potion will become the “Adventuring Records of Heavensward.” (we are currently discussing whether or not to keep "Adventuring Records of A Realm Reborn").
    • Upon using the “Adventuring Records of Heavensward,” the player character will have completed the main quest up to the final quest in patch 3.5 part 2, as well as accepting the initial main quest for Stormblood.
    • The "Adventuring Records of Heavenward" can only be purchased if the player has purchased and registered their copy of the Heavenward expansion.
    • Players will be able to boost one job to level 60 with the job jumping potion (the level 50 version of the potion will be removed).
    • The gear that the players will receive will be changed to level 60 gear for the corresponding job upon purchasing the job jump potion.

We are still discussing whether to add potions for machinist, dark knight, and astrologian, if we want to keep the “Adventuring Records of A Realm Reborn” option, and other points, so we’ll be sure to update you once the details are finalized.

Summary up until now

I'd like to summarize what has been discussed up until now.

Case 1: Those who are new to the game and wish to catch up to friends who are already playing
    1. Create a character and ensure your service account is active.
    2. Purchase the job potion of your choosing, and make that job level 50.
    3. Add the rights for playing the Heavensward expansion.
    4. Purchase and use the “A Realm Reborn Adventuring Records.”
    5. The total cost is around 5000 yen (not including the expansion and subscription fees).

This lets you reach level 50 and begin on the main scenario quests for Heavensward. From here on out you can aim to reach level 60 together with your friends and progress through the Heavensward story.

Case 2: Those who are new and want to progress through the main scenario efficiently.
    2. Purchase the job potion of your choosing, and make that job level 50.
    3. Progress through the main scenario.
    4. The total cost is around 2500 yen (not including the expansion and subscription fees).

In this scenario you will be able to progress through the main scenario at a quick pace and experience the story.

Case 3: Those who are new and just want to enjoy leveling.
    2. Add the Heavensward expansion.
    3. Purchase the “A Realm Reborn Adventuring Records.”
    4. The total cost is around 2500 yen (not including the expansion and subscription fees).

In this case, the A Realm Reborn main scenario will be completed, and you will be free to enjoy leveling a job through various content and side quests.
    As you can see from the above, while this allows any type of new player to catch up, it places them right before the latest expansion. From there on out they will have to raise their characters and collect equipment. We’ve also made it so there is an option to progress through the main scenarios with a stronger character and catch up to everyone while the story is enjoyed.

These potions are an optional purchase, and it will not be very cheap to purchase both of them. The price has not been set this way looking for profits, but rather, it has been set the way it has to indicate our intention that these items are not those that anyone can use freely.

Presumed Negative Effects

Below are the presumed negative effects from implementing these potions.

Gap between player skills between existing players and new players

I believe the point majority of the players are most worried about is the part where you may expect to see more players who may not be used to their rotations. However, looking over the data collected from the Chinese and Korean versions, most of these players who have purchased the potions are those who are familiar with online gaming, or those who play with the support from their friends.

If we look at the number of players who fall within the below criteria (and calculating the percentage from data obtained after the start of Jumping Potion sales)...
    • Have just started playing
    • Have activated their account (i.e. have paid subscription fees)
    • Have purchased one of the job jumping potions
    at most we see only about 27-29% of Korean/Chinese players making the potion purchase.

When purchasing the potions, a great number of the players made a purchase once they were familiar with the game after leveling to level 30 through the free trial or with an active account. With this said, we're seeing data that shows that there are not many instances of completely new players purchasing them.

I'm not saying its non-existent, but it's much lower that the worst case scenario that is being assumed.

However, once we begin the service for Stormblood, we can assume many players will jump to Heavensward, and these players will join at level 60, leading to a short period of time where there may be large skill gap between existing and new players.

There were about 20-21% percent of those who purchased story jump potions along with the above conditions. From those who have purchased the job jumping potions, it looks like there is a good amount of players who want to experience the main scenario themselves.

Additionally, from those who have purchased the potions, we can see that over 50% of the players have been playing longer than three months. Therefore, these potions are either helping motivate these players, or being purchased by players with high motivation.

Feeling of buying experience with money
    For those who have never used these types of jumping potions, you may have this type of feeling towards this matter. Also, some may misunderstand this as Pay-to-Win. However, these measures were put in place to have these players get on the current standard; therefore, it isn’t there to hurt everyone’s play experience or time spent until now, and is in place to further expand the community. With that said, we understand this feeling may not go away from some players, so please be sure to leave your feedback.

Summary

While I personally have a positive outlook in regard to the implementation of these potions, I'm still worried. However, I predict that we will end up introducing this service at some point between the release of Stormblood and the expansion pack that comes after.

The current trend in the gaming market is for games to be easily accessible, played in short periods of time, and played and stopped whenever the players want. This is the exact opposite of an MMORPG in a sense.

I am not saying we want to make MMORPGs follow this trend; however, our job is to bolster operations so that as many new players as possible are able to play with everyone.

Please read through my post and leave your feedback. The decision and responsibility will be mine, but please let us know how you feel about this. If you have any questions, be sure to post those as well, and I'll be sure to follow-up!
    (99)
    Matt "Bayohne" Hilton - Community Team

Player
    Character
    Tal Young
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 90
    Absolute nonsense. Several other ways to alleviate these problems could have been implemented, they just weren't as cash grabby.
    (131)

Player
    Character
    Midnight Falcon
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 90
    And they get to charge twice.

Also a side affect of people who thought gating into a never ending quest was a good idea. This allows SE to continue to gate like you approve of and profit from it. Instead of building quality independent expansions.
    (42)
    Last edited by Moonlite; 12-17-2016 at 09:56 PM.

Player
    Character
    Rogue Fuki
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Well people can stop with the stupid threads saying please Yoshida no Jump potion. Its gonna happen now anyway if you don't like it don't buy it plan and simple.
    (15)
    Last edited by Blackcanary; 12-17-2016 at 10:27 AM.

Player
    Character
    Xoria Tepes
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    I still see no lasting drawbacks to jump potions. Inexperienced, or just downright bad, players exist without them. Most people just need to research outside the game to learn their optimal rotations and then practice it on a dummy a few times until it's engraved into muscle memory.
    (113)
    Last edited by JunseiKei; 12-17-2016 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Grammar is hard sometimes. @_@

Player
    Character
    Rogue Fuki
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by JunseiKei View Post
    I still see no lasting drawbacks to jump potions. Inexperienced, or just downright bad, players exist without them. Most people just need to research outside the same to learn their optimal rotations and then practice it on a dummy a few times until it's engraved into muscle memory.
    I fully agree with what you said. A Jump potion will not make a player play their job bad. Its that player's laziness when it comes to learning how to use their Job that will make them play bad.
    (31)

Player
    Character
    Peggy Priddy
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 77
    So can you buy multiple job potions?
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Nenemi Nemi
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 40
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonlite View Post
    And they get to charge twice.
    Seriously this is nothing but a cash grab and laziness on SE and the dev teams part

This is a story based MMO new players should need to do the MSQ if they dont like it they can go find another MMO.

They can make adjustments to the current MSQ to condense it and make the first job 1-60 be fully done by doing the MSQ alone and remove the sub class and cross class abilties in 4.0 so you dont need to change to other classes while leveling and the effort needed to get to level 60 really wont be that bad.
    (56)

Player
    Character
    Brown Sugar
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Monk Lv 62
    On the bright side, the game will finally be alt friendly.
    (24)

Player

RIP FFXIV

Good luck SE, I will not buy the expansion now.
    (45)
    Last edited by Inori-Yuzuriha; 12-17-2016 at 10:18 AM.

Page 1 of 213 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast