Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Shofie Mahowyn
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 90

Square Enix: Please reconsider putting the Native American war bonnet attire in-game.

I'll try to keep this as succinct as possible.

War bonnets are extremely sensitive cultural items that are generally "restricted" items. That is, it is offensive for non-Native Americans to wear them, or anyone to wear them who hasn't earned the right to do so.

They are earned through acts of heroism and putting them in the game where player characters can access them at all is trampling all over Native Americans.

Native American cultural attire is not a costume.

Especiallythe war bonnets.

Please consider removing the war bonnet from the upcoming patch. It is deeply offensive and racist to include it.

Thank you.
    (39)

Player
    Character
    Tristan Vayne
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Sage Lv 90
    But the Thavnairian gear is okay? It's not offensive stereotyping of old "Arabic"/"Persian" clothing?
    (149)

Baby, tell me, what's your motive?

Player
    Character
    Shofie Mahowyn
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 90
    I'm not here to discuss other items today. I am here to discuss this item, currently. Other items existing does not negate this one, people can debate multiple items at a time, etc.
    (8)

Player
    Character
    Aevis Sylph
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 70
    Cultural appropriation exists because people fail to comprehend that culture belongs to noone.
    (101)
    Happiness is manditory.
    Not being happy is treason.
    Treason is punishable by death.

Player
    Character
    Rhen Mahowyn
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 60
    This thread is about the war bonnet and only the war bonnet. I'd like to ask that people not try to derail the topic at hand.
    (9)

Player
    Character
    Tonrak Totorak
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    I knew that there was going to be a post like this as soon as I saw that there were Native-American themed gear
    (38)

Player
    Character
    Renee Becquerel
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 70
    I understand this issue doesn't affect everyone personally, but there is a difference between something being part of a culture and something that is inexorably linked to its parent culture in a way it can't respectfully be removed from its original contex.

I find it troubling so many people feel so comfortable responding to things like this with, "Other cultures are fine with people wearing their clothes, so this shouldn't be offensive to you." That's not an inherently racist attitude, but it's one that suggests an ignorance of the fact different cultures are, you know, different.

I understand Japan has a different sensibility of what constitutes racism, bigotry, and appropriation, but given that this game is localised for different regions and given America has just recently been dealing with this exact issue and many Native Americans finding the appropriation and debasement of war bonnets offensive, perhaps this isn't appropriate in the NA-localisation.
    (11)

Player
    Character
    Alexius Scott
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Shofie View Post
    I'll try to keep this as succinct as possible.

War bonnets are extremely sensitive cultural items that are generally "restricted" items. That is, it is offensive for non-Native Americans to wear them, or anyone to wear them who hasn't earned the right to do so.

They are earned through acts of heroism and putting them in the game where player characters can access them at all is trampling all over Native Americans.

Native American cultural attire is not a costume.

Especiallythe war bonnets.

Please consider removing the war bonnet from the upcoming patch. It is deeply offensive and racist to include it.

Thank you.
    Stop being so overly sensitive. If you don't like it, tough. You're one person in a game that is played by millions, they're not going to change it just because you find it offensive.
    (57)

Player
    Character
    Tristan Vayne
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Sage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Tevatron View Post
    I find it troubling so many people feel so comfortable responding to things like this with, "Other cultures are fine with people wearing their clothes, so this shouldn't be offensive to you." That's not an inherently racist attitude, but it's one that suggests an ignorance of the fact different cultures are, you know, different.
    When I responded with what I said earlier, about other clothing being in the game, I was more in the sense asking "Why are you against x culture's traditional clothes being used but have nothing to say about y culture?", you can't just be fine with one being used and the other entirely, wholly ignored. It's not right, and it should never be something.
    (44)

Baby, tell me, what's your motive?

Player
    Character
    J'nangho Jhimei
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 60
    Agreeing with the OP.

There is a big difference between gear inspired by a culture and its clothing, and flat out stolen from a group of people with absolutely no consideration for the meaning behind it.

The gear on the right?

Extremely YMCA Halloween costume... Ish. All the way down to the details on the jewelry. No inspiration. No influence.
    (17)

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast