Player
    Character
    Meru Maru
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90

[Guide] Placing your Tabletop items anywhere v2.3

As you might have noticed, we can't normally put things on the new half-partitions, and yet how is that chronometer apparently resting on top of it? No table is tall and slender enough to fit inside those partitions. The answer is, it's a glitch - if you don't like glitches deal with it. I should be able to put my moogles wherever I damn well please.

The rules for placing tabletop items in "forbidden" places haven't changed much since 2.1, but with the addition of wall-mounted furniture being placed on partitions and the Riviera Wall Shelf, we now have the freedom to place objects pretty much anywhere in the room space where a partition can fit. The main caveat is if you want to place objects below the height of the bottom portion of a partition where the Wall Shelf can't go, you will have to use a shorter Table furnishing instead.

These instructions are for PC interfaces - Sorry but I don't own the game on PS3/PS4 to help you out here.

First, put down any standard partition (Riviera/Glade have more vertical space) and put the Riviera Wall Shelf on it. If you want it shorter than the shelf can go, just replace this whole thing with a shorter table like an Oasis Table (it doesn't go much shorter unfortunately).

Next, place your tabletop object on the Wall Shelf. Position your partition so your object is where you want it to be, and position the Wall Shelf so that it is flush with the surface you want to "place" your tabletop object on- you won't be able to adjust the position without starting from scratch so get it right (you will still be able to rotate it freely afterwards).
    I have highlights turned on so that you can see highlighting the partition highlights all 3 grouped objects - wall, shelf, clock.

At this point, turn your "Toggle counter surface placement on/off" to OFF. This is a 2.2 change.

And now the magic: You want to select your tabletop object and move it away,but do not place it. Instead right-click to return it to its original position.

If you look closely, when I highlight the partition, the clock is not highlighted. I have "soft-broken" the connection the clock has with the wall/shelf combo but preserved its position. It will simply regroup back to normal if you do almost anything.

In order to permanently break the group connection, move the wall/shelf combo away and place it. The tabletop object should stay where you want it, and you can now safely remove the shelf and wall and turn the surface placement setting back on if you wish.

Note that all this does is preserve the spacial position of the clock to give the illusion that it's sitting on top of the half-partition. If I moved the half-partition away, the clock would be floating mid-air... which opens up even more possibilities (like that mog-house mid-air moogle you always wanted...)

Enjoy, and happy furnishing!
    (36)
    Last edited by Jeykama; 07-23-2014 at 09:21 AM. Reason: i bad with grammar

Character
    Yuki Shiku
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Nice tip! Too bad I can't use those half partitions in my house.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Meru Maru
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Doesn't have to be the half-partitions, with this tech you can put moogles on your deluxe manor fireplace, on your goldsmithing bench, on your couches, on your cupboards, on your bookshelves, hang paintings and lamps off your standalone pillars, hang tonberry lamps off you demon wall's chin, etc. Lots of crazy stuff we couldn't do in 2.2 with only table tech.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Yoso Carrasco
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Monk Lv 74
    Thanks for the info on disabling the counter placement thing. I assumed they got rid of this since it wasn't working but it was because that was turned on.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Riepah Redeemer
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 70
    Oh-ho, this sounds like fun. I'll definitely give this a try, Apkallus everywhere!

Works like a charm. Apkallu says thanks!
    (6)
    Last edited by Riepah; 07-24-2014 at 04:23 AM.

Player
    Character
    Meru Maru
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Riepah View Post
    Oh-ho, this sounds like fun. I'll definitely give this a try, Apkallus everywhere!

Works like a charm. Apkallu says thanks!
    Sadface, my house has railings on the stairs so putting apkallu on them is out of order.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Meru Maru
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    As I mentioned, this tech works great with wall-mounted objects as well. Can't find a good spot for your Demon Wall with its awkward white plate? Make it into a secret door for you study (it has no collision, so you can run right through it)

Look ma, no walls
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Wobble Wibblewobb
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 60
    Thanks for linking this. It looks like either it's fixed or there is no way to do it on PS4. :'(
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Lenne Mei
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Miner Lv 65
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobble View Post
    Thanks for linking this. It looks like either it's fixed or there is no way to do it on PS4. :'(
    Hey Wobble! Hopefully I can help a little for those who play on controllers. I hope I don't mess up too bad in explaining. All of Meru's instructions work for controller (thanks, Meru!), it's just the Counter Placement menu is not the same for people with controllers.

The menu to disable/enable Counter Placement will show up at the top of the screen when you have a piece of furniture selected. Note that the furniture just needs to be selected (highlighted blue), and not necessarily picked up (highlighted orange). So yeah, select a piece of furniture to get the menu visible at the top of the screen, and it will say on that menu to click L1+Triangle (or LB+Y on PC controller). After you disable Counter Placement, you can go back to Meru's instructions, except when you pick up the object, push the circle button to cancel lifting it, rather than right-click.

Also as he mentioned, you might want to re-enable Counter Placement when you're done. I usually forget, then for the longest time wonder why I can't place objects on anything. xD

Hope that works for you.

Edit:
    I also found this video: http://youtu.be/vzyldLa02tg
    I know it's in Japanese, but sometimes it's nice to see things done in real time. Plus they use a controller, so you can see what the menu looks like at the top of the screen. I would still recommend following Meru's guide over following the video though.

Also, thanks to this guide, I was able to put things where I never thought I could before. I have since changed things around a bit, but from the image you can see I used it a lot when I first tried it, hahaha.

(6)
    Last edited by Lenne; 11-20-2014 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Added link to video, added image

Player
    Character
    Wobble Wibblewobb
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenne View Post
    snIp
    Thanks that helped a ton.
    (1)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast