Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Character
    Raxiaz
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 96
    Yes please, enough about the useless ring. I made this suggestion because I would love to skill up in abyssea relatively quickly, all the while completing dominion ops for exp/merits/something to do. Skilling up is boring enough as it is. I still wish we could skill up in campaign. As it stands, campaign has nothing worth working towards for me personally.
    (0)

It would be awesome if they made campaign the go-to for skill ups (from 60-80) and leveling from 60-75. AWESOME. As it is now, no one really does it, which sucks.
    (0)

Character
    Kincard
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Habiki View Post
    30 hours you could have spent capping your skills.
    Pretty much this- a lot of people want the Prouesse Ring because they thought it would save them some time on skilling up, which has been a complaint for a while now. Korpg doesn't seem to understand this...the Prouesse Ring isn't one of the types of items players should have to "work" for because it's really not powerful or game-breaking in any sense.

The only time I bother trying to get it is when I level my NPC. If I wasn't doing that I wouldn't even bother, because once again, the purpose of the ring is completely lost through the massive amount of effort needed to obtain it.
    (0)

Character
    Packboy
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 90
    wow go skill up in a real place not abyssea. and anyone who has a smn knows its faster to cap it using ur smn abalities not just sitting there using the smn call and thats it. go do something productive and stop wasting out time in these pointless threads. go skill up and stop bitching about how u cant skill up coz u have lvl 5 skills and ur in abyssea trying to skill up.
    (0)

Character
    Kalsena
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Only reason I kept trying was because I'd need to skill from 91-99 too. Most of my 90 jobs are capped, the current exception being marksmanship, throwing, and polearm, and obviously better skill up rates benefit the consumable skills since it means less time and money shooting arrows/bolts.
    (0)

Character
    Voldermolt
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Korpg View Post
    I know what gambler's fallacy is, but the way you explained it is completely confusing.

Also, if RNG means Ring for you, why don't you actually type R-I-N-G instead of knocking off the "i". That just makes you look lazy. However, if you are talking about Ranger, then we are both having different conversations.

You are right though, TotM staffs have a goal, and a long one, and one that is traceable. Ring, however, doesn't. Every brown chest has a 1/20 shot in being the ring. However, since the rate of brown chests are common, and we are talking about a 1/20 chance overall, I still stand by what I said that it is faster to get a ring than to complete a TotM staff from start to finish. It takes somebody who would play this game from start-finish, only pausing for RR, food, and sleep, probably 3 days to finish a staff. Some staffs probably longer, depending on luck of weather. You could get the ring in an hour, in 5 hours, in 10 hours if your luck is really bad. Although I don't have any stats to back this up, I think that, by my own observations, the average time it would take for a person to get a ring would be about 10 hours, with a standard deviation of 3 hours. 30 hours is just one extreme example, along with 3 minutes being on the other extreme. But the problem is, you only HEAR about the extremes. Not that many people (not enough to make an actual sample of the population to make a better determination to see how long it really would take) would say how long it actually took them, or be accurate either.
    Yet what you are saying is completely 100% irrelevant to the topic at hand. The ring has no baring whatsoever on whether or not to give us an atma to do the same thing. If it did, the ring wouldn't exist simply because of kupowers, or GoV itself, or the newbie hat. Just because something is in the game already does not mean something else that does the same thing can't be added.

We're happy for you and your 3 minute ring, but stop being a drama queen. It doesn't mean it's that easy for everyone. Technically speaking a person could live in there for the next ten years and never get the ring because the system never hit that "jackpot" number to drop it. It's extremely unlikely, but not impossible.

I'll also take this time to say that apparently this thread is not pointless in the sense that the mines is constantly overrun with people chasing the ring, but it is pointless in the sense than it is very unlikely for SE to add anything more to Abyssea aside from adjustments. New Dynamis and voidwatch should make that truth very apparent.
    (0)

Regular "John" Doe
    - Not on the Community Team

Character
    Voldermolt
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutschfactor View Post
    wow go skill up in a real place not abyssea. and anyone who has a smn knows its faster to cap it using ur smn abalities not just sitting there using the smn call and thats it. go do something productive and stop wasting out time in these pointless threads. go skill up and stop bitching about how u cant skill up coz u have lvl 5 skills and ur in abyssea trying to skill up.
    Actually Abyssea is the best place to skill up due to DA and TA atmas. Skilling up there myself has proven to blow away anywhere else and I've gone so far as to abuse kupowers + GoV while it was in effect.

I suppose magic skill ups would be better suited with kupower or GoV in place, though.
    (0)

Regular "John" Doe
    - Not on the Community Team

Character
    Packboy
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 90
    ya it is a good place to skill up. if u havent lvled in abyssea from 30-90. of course anyone who is capped knows really u gotta do it on NMs really to get anywhere anymore on skill ups. i capped parrying on NM's and on onions in abyssea altep. there is no need for an atma that lets u skill up.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Auredant View Post
    A crutch for the weak perhaps...but not overpowered. So I agree that it is dramatic as skill gain has never been an issue outside of maybe parry/guard.
    For most things its easy, I agree, just time consuming, but at the same time... Have you tried skilling up an automaton lately?

I spent about 6 Hours in Abyssea farming Dark rings and my automaton only got about 2 Melee Skill levels, and he was punching the entire time.

hes about 100 under cap atm. given that time on average and skill rate, thats 300 hours of non-stop meleeing to cap my automaton. Thats also not including Ranger, and Mage frame, Who actually cast/ranged slower than a Valoredge Melee, so it'd likely take much more time.

While for most it might be "for the weak", but for a puppet master it seems like something that would help me tremendously -.-;

(Yah this is like, 3 pages late or something but oh well)

----

On the prousse ring topic, Pretty sure that doesnt effect automatons as well. >___> I mean, Thanks to GoV bonuses, i took club from 250 to Capped on PLD in about a total of ~12 combined hours, (out of the 40+ I spent in Horutoto trying to get Fishers Torque, which FYI is till dont have).
    (1)

Character
    Kingnobody
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 94
    Quote Originally Posted by Olor View Post
    I heard that from a friend who has never taken their summoner into Abyssea as far as I know. They said they counted once how many actions it took to get a skill up - it was like summoning something 50 times to get 0.1.

I know even for my mage jobs where I am casting without huge timers between when I can do an action (isn't it like 45 seconds) my skills still don't keep up with leveling, even SOLO leveling. So it seems believable that raising summoning skill is a pain.

Honestly, lose the rage. No one I know enjoys skilling up. It is quite possibly the most boring thing possible. So what if people would prefer to spend their time in game doing fun stuff versus auto-attacking crabs.
    I solo'd SMN all the way to 75 way before Abyssea was even thought of. Which means that I leveled it all the way to 75 before the BPs gave you skillups. And I got it to cap skill before that too.

Yeah, it sucks, but you know what? You got it easy now. Just go to Abyssea, suck at Rages, have weak Wards, but continue to use them. Nobody should skillup SMN magic JUST by Summon/Release method anymore.

Also, you now know somebody who enjoyed skilling up. I skilled up all the possible weapons a WAR can use, JUST for Blue Procs, including going way beyond the WSNM stages so I would have more accuracy to proc blue faster.
    (1)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast