Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Character
    Asran
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99

How long do we have left?

I've been playing FFXI on and off for the last 7 years. I love the game but lets face it... nothing lasts forever. I've come back to it after an 8 month hiatus but it makes me wonder how much time do we have left? It seems like there are fewer and fewer players every time I come back... and we're bout to hit the 99 (100) level cap, have had two server mergers in 1 year and are approaching the 10th anniversary do you think they will keep us up long after that?

I'm not trying to sound negative, I still love this game, I am just worried if I should stay in or not. Also if it is worth bringing a friend in.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    We have until there are not enough subscribers to offset the costs of running the servers + ~6 months to a year after that.
    (0)

As I figure it, as a low estimate, Final Fantasy XI must have at least 75k players left, potentially many many more. At current figures that still puts FFXI at 60k more subscribers than the currently making zero profit FFXIV. FFXI is more or less SE's life blood after the horrendous profit losses they took this last fiscal year. I honestly doubt we'll see the end of the game any time even remotely soon.
    (0)

10 years ago Squaresoft was great. 10 years ago Hironobu Sakaguchi left Squaresoft. 10 years ago Square's profits were at an all time high. In the last 10 years their profits have done nothing but decline. Coincidence, I think not. Do yourself and the fans a favor SE, bring back Sakaguchi. Bring back the awesome you once had.

Character
    Asran
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99
    Yeah, I've been reading the FFXIV forums a lot and have been getting the impression that FFXI is funding XIV. But even then, in a year or so XIV with either have sunk or swam and I dont see us gaining many (if any) more subscriptions. Perhaps I've been reading too many troll threads =/
    (0)

Character
    Sephyderx
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 95
    I dont want to ever see this game going away. and with all the changes and additions (i.e. these new and wonderful forums) I cant see them taking this game offline for ATLEAST 2-3 years.

On another note the way SE released thier last 5/6 FF titles, (X, X-2, XIII, XIV, and quite possibly the new XIII-2) this is most likely the last SE game I play an/or would spend more money on
    (0)
    3MAR2021- Returning looking for a linkshell.
    My main two jobs i play are MNK(95) and BLU(80). Casual player who likes events.
    Eastern US timezone. usually on after 8pm.
    ******OLD pre-2012 Signature Saved for Posterity********

Initially FF14 had a user base of approximately 60-100k (I know its a huge range, but that all the more shows how far its fallen). And since its release the only money its made has been off the actual physical purchase of the software, which more than likely barely broke even if made any money at all given development costs. SE put a big gamble on 14 and so far its failed, miserably, so far earning no gains at all now more than six months after release.

I've also read that FF13 was, despite some profit, not nearly the money maker they were hoping for it to be.

Currently I'm more than willing to wager that Final Fantasy XI is SE's primary source of income at the moment outside of its successful products from its now child company Eidos. As long as they're making money on FFXI it'll never disappear.
    (0)

10 years ago Squaresoft was great. 10 years ago Hironobu Sakaguchi left Squaresoft. 10 years ago Square's profits were at an all time high. In the last 10 years their profits have done nothing but decline. Coincidence, I think not. Do yourself and the fans a favor SE, bring back Sakaguchi. Bring back the awesome you once had.

There are MMO's with 1-2 servers. FF11 will be alive for a long time or go free to increase users.
    (0)

Character
    Asran
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by thefinalrune View Post
    Currently I'm more than willing to wager that Final Fantasy XI is SE's primary source of income at the moment outside of its successful products from its now child company Eidos. As long as they're making money on FFXI it'll never disappear.
    Thats given me hope enough to return... but for how long will it keep its profit? We've already had 2 big server merges... it just makes it feel like we're rapidly losing players.

I truly hope we can keep this up for 3+ years
    (0)

Character
    Dreimar
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    I've already seen people claiming the death of this game during years.
    Like: "FFXI have 1 yr at max! i'm going to play .....(insert any "new generation MMORPG" younger than FFXI)"
    Considering FFIVX doesnt seems to have build a "rocky base" of accounts we still have time to enjoy Vana'diel ^^
    (0)

Character
    Jerritt
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 23
    Well, we may be merging servers, but I can say, that I have been seeing a lot of older players return lately. Whether they are returning from XIV or just because of all the recent changes, activity on the servers seems to have picked up. Plus we are still getting new people in periodically.
    (0)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast