Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Character
    Paulus
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 90

Soliloquy, The final RDM job ability.

I've been giving some thought about how RDM can be brought to the front line more often. With the recent feedback from the developers in regards to why they didn't want to create situations where damage dealers were forced to use skill chains it is apparent that it really isn't fair to the mage classes.

The logic that it would be to cumbersome and difficult to force DD to do Skill Chains is sound. But the opposite end of the spectrum is just as unsound. The changes made during the recent updates are indeed welcomed as it relates to lowering magical resistances but mages are still waiting for "accidents" to happen to take advantage.

In order to remedy the situation I think RDM should receive an ability called Soliloquy. Why Soliloquy you ask? By definition the very word is what we're talking about.

"A soliloquy is a device often used in drama whereby a character relates his or her thoughts and feelings to him/herself and to the audience without addressing any of the other characters, and is delivered often when they are alone or think they are alone."

If you're thinking ahead of me I am proposing that RDM have the ability to trigger conditions for magic bursts. Yes another job has that ability already. But my idea is different.

My suggested job ability would work in conjunction with RDM TierI and II enspells.
    For example, A RDM wanting to land Slow II on a highly resistant monster would use Soliloquy first (While under the effect of Enthunder II or by casting right after using the ability.) and then his next enspell strike would trigger a gravitation affect on the monster and allowing him to cast slow II and magic burst it.

I wouldn't even mind that RDM's get Soliloquy at lower levels and use it to work with tier I enspells. The above example would trigger scission with enthunder.

The ability description would read:

Sililoquy: Your next enspell damage will trigger conditions for a magic burst. Magic burst type depends on level and element of enspell.
    (3)

Character
    Duelle
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulus View Post
    "A soliloquy is a device often used in drama whereby a character relates his or her thoughts and feelings to him/herself and to the audience without addressing any of the other characters, and is delivered often when they are alone or think they are alone."
    I'm sorry, but I can't get the lyrics "Can I remember how this song and dance began? Yes I can, damn right I can." out of my head thanks to this. >.>;

Red Mage's Soliloquy suddenly becomes a possibility...
    (1)
    * The sad thing is that FFXIV turned RDM into a turret, and people think that's what it's supposed to be. It's supposed to combine sword and magic into something more, not spend the bulk of gameplay spamming spells and jump into melee for only 3 GCDs before scurrying back to the back line.

Character
    Covenant
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 90
    Actually was thinking why include a Enspell strike? Why not have a simple system of magic > magic = burst. Or call it something like "euclidation". Basically, either a RDM can cast off themselves to create a desired burst or off another casters magic.
    Rather then mix and matching.. I think a linear progression only...for ex, thunder III > thunder II = what's the thunder combo impaction? I would say III > II because opposite might take too long to successfully link.
    Ifwe're talking about casting off another caster, then simply casting a like- spell right on top of their cast could "burst"
    (0)

Character
    Paulus
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 90
    An ancillary reason for an enspell strike would be so that we could melee. But the real reason is because of the effect of lowering magic resists. As you know tier II enspells allegedly lower monster resists for an element that precedes it in the elemental chart of coralations. Also with the new update monsters further receive weaknesses to skill chains that are performed on them. So an enthunder II strike triggering a weakness of it's own along with a scission or gravitation from my proposed ability would make a monster really weak to earth magic.

The devs have been trying to go this route. Tier II enspells, death blossom for lowering magic evasion. RDM mythic, and some ToTM blades that lower magic evasion as an additional affect.
    (1)

Character
    Iocus
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    Actually was thinking why include a Enspell strike? Why not have a simple system of magic > magic = burst. Or call it something like "euclidation". Basically, either a RDM can cast off themselves to create a desired burst or off another casters magic.
    Rather then mix and matching.. I think a linear progression only...for ex, thunder III > thunder II = what's the thunder combo impaction? I would say III > II because opposite might take too long to successfully link.
    Ifwe're talking about casting off another caster, then simply casting a like- spell right on top of their cast could "burst"
    Lol, they should give this ability to us at 30 so that other jobs can take everything that is good and unique about or job, jk. I'm sorry if i'm ruffling your feathers. I personally would rather it on Enspell as well so that you have the identity as a front line mage. Why else do we have phallanx if we arent supposed to be at risk?

I like the idea of our Enspell 2s being useful and I would love our Magic Burst bonus to be useful. +1 to idea.
    (0)

You couldn't fire off 2 T4 nukes fast enough to SC and then a 3rd fast enough to MB unless you were using Chainspell.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by noodles355 View Post
    You couldn't fire off 2 T4 nukes fast enough to SC and then a 3rd fast enough to MB unless you were using Chainspell.
    You could if you had at least 50% fast cast and you used lower T4 nukes to close and MB.
    (0)

Character
    Alvian
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 12
    Quote Originally Posted by noodles355 View Post
    Yes you can, as SCH you can cast a tier V then tier IV then MB with another spell, and they only have around ~30% casting time. RDM can get 50% easily and now the cap has been raised to ~80% you can do it even easier.
    (0)

Character
    Mordru
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    I don't have any problem making an SC with two tier IV spells on SCH, without Alacrity. I'm not sure if it's true but I've read that the window for Immanence is larger than for normal SC chains. If that's the case, and it's necessary to chain tier IVs, of course the same could be done for the RDM ability. I don't know for sure if it's required if all FC gear is included in the pre-cast but I could never hit the MB window on tier IV or V on my own SC without Alacrity.

I love self SC on SCH but am just as confused as anyone why the ability to SC with spells was given to SCH instead of the melee mage. I'm sure the standard "slap in RDMs face" reason applies.

So, I love this concept, especially that it makes use of enspells to promote melee and just to give them a bit more utility. I'd like it if it were a combination of weapon strike and spell to distinguish it from Immanence and to require the melee part.
    (1)
    Last edited by Merton9999; 05-31-2011 at 03:47 AM.

Character
    Alvian
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Merton9999 View Post
    I don't have any problem making an SC with two tier IV spells on SCH, without Alacrity. I'm not sure if it's true but I've read that the window for Immanence is larger than for normal SC chains. If that's the case, and it's necessary to chain tier IVs, of course the same could be done for the RDM ability. I don't know for sure if it's required if all FC gear is included in the pre-cast but I could never hit the MB window on tier IV or V on my own SC without Alacrity.

I love self SC on SCH but am just as confused as anyone why the ability to SC with spells was given to SCH instead of the melee mage. I'm sure the standard "slap in RDMs face" reason applies.

So, I love this concept, especially that it makes use of enspells to promote melee and just to give them a bit more utility. I'd like it if it were a combination of weapon strike and spell to distinguish it from Immanence and to require the melee part.
    A skillchain in a way is a battle tactic, SCH was called a "Battle Tactician" so it fits in with the job.
    (0)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast