Character
    Goins
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99

Combat Skills broken

On Monk are Puppetmaster there no skill up for Guard are any combat skill anymore while tanking.
    (0)

the defensive skills can be tricky to skill since they have to break thorugh your evasion calc to run their calcs. With all the extra stats we have now, it makes it a bit of a chore. I've been going back and skilling up all my weapons, and I've started getting parry skillups again by making one simple tweak--load AGL atmas instead of evasion. When my hp is staying up, I'll drop some of the evasion off my gear, and occasionally snag a .2 parry here and there.

Haven't been on MNK in a while though to test it for Guard (capped H2H as I leveled it), but will probly tinker with it in my off time once I get all my other crap caught up.
    (0)
    {DISCLAIMER} Posts may contain opinions based on personal experiences that are not be meant to be taken as facts. What may appear as fact with no source reference may be recollection of information with no source, and may be subject to scrutiny without source reference. Any debate over validity of said facts without source references may be considered conjecture of all parties in that debate. Player comments may not be the expressed position/consent of SE, their affiliates, or any employees of said organizations. Please take these posts with a grain of salt if you are offended by the views of the player and understand that opinions are like assholes... everyone has one, not everyone wants to hear it.

Please use the following template for reporting your bug, thank you:

Platform:
    ISP:
    Type of Internet Connection:
    Internet Connection Speed:
    Date & Time:
    Frequency:
    Character Name:
    Race:
    World:
    Main Job:
    Support Job:
    Area and Coordinates:
    Party or Solo:
    NPC Name:
    Monster Name:
    Steps:
    <*Add more steps if necessary.>
    (0)

Character
    Ravensbane
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    I do not believe guard skilling is glitched, just that SE has never made it as easy to skill up as every other combat skill in the game. It is just my opinion, but I think SE has purposely made many of the quests and combat skills for mnk harder than need be. Just keep trying and consider the month of daily skill up sessions getting hit by 20 mandies at a time for hours on end to be an opportunity to save up your stones. I am sure the 3 levels you gain in Guard during that month will be rewarding. >.<
    (0)

Character
    Byrth
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    They actually went a long way towards rectifying this by allowing you to skill up off lower level monsters. I've been trying to skill up Parrying lately (an equally frustrating and futile endeavor), and I found that I get the best skillups using monsters that are lower than my current skill level with a ton of +Parrying gear.

Normally, on things like what you're tanking, proc rate is going to be 5% if you have anything less than capped skills with merits and Guard gear on (which would be silly). By choosing monsters more appropriate for your skill level, you can increase the proc rate dramatically without really affecting your skillup rate at all (thanks to the skillup patch). I have been skilling up Parrying with a 20% proc rate, and I'd bet you can do the same for Guard.
    (0)