Player

Subte Blow & TP Feed

As a front-line oriented RDM, the largest issue I have run into is not my damage output but my TP feed. I do not expect to do spectacular damage, but I can't do any damage due it's costs in party stability. Many enemies are very sensitive to how many people are whacking them.

While Enspells add damage, my sword/dagger still feeds the enemy as much TP as anyone else. MNK and subtle-blow have gained a lot of respect due to the issue of TP feed.
    Instead of focusing on bringing spectacular damage output (which would be quite unlike most of what RDM seems to me) put a greater emphasis on "efficiency" of the damage. A nice job trait to give a substantial subtle blow effect to a hit with an En2 should do the trick.

The costs:
    Melee hits must have En2 effect to gain subtle blow, anything else doesn't count.
    (This effectively removes multi-hit weapons from the list)

The gain:
    Meleeing does not give any real TP to the mob. (On order of 1TP or less per swing)

Net result is a modest boost to party damage output with no cost. No one has any reason to complain about a RDM whacking at that point as it costs them nothing.

Some alternative ideas to implement the same base concept:

Spell based subtle blow. 3-5 min duration. Could include the numerous 10-TP a pop spells we keep using too. Ideally with a strong emphasis on enhancing magic or MND to boost it's effectiveness.

Enspell damage doing a reverse TP feed. Specifically, if your enspell damage is equal to your melee hits, you do 0 damage. If it's greater than your melee hits, you do negative TP feed. That could put a lot of RDMs in the front line with some daggers! It would also give us a specific benefit to being in the front line.

All of these ideas play into RDM's slow-and-steady staying power where Enfeebling and Enhancing stack up the best.
    (0)

Character
    Kalsena
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    We technically have a Subtle Blow+ spell through Gain-AGI, which improves via Enhancing Magic skill to boot.

While I agree that the TP feed argument has been used against us in the past in regards to damage efficiency, steering us to zero or even negative gains isn't really a solution. I wasn't a fan of the old Ceremonial Dagger exploits, either. The point of swinging should never be to do less damage, otherwise you're just inviting the people who will claim getting a true DD to be more beneficial since offense is king in FFXI.
    (0)

Character
    Tigerwoods
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Net result is a modest boost to party damage output with no cost. No one has any reason to complain about a RDM whacking at that point as it costs them nothing.
    You still get hit by AoEs and thus cost more MP since more people need to be cured. Then you have to waste your or someone else's time/mp erasing yourself for AoE enfeebles, etc.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Cream_Soda View Post
    You still get hit by AoEs and thus cost more MP since more people need to be cured. Then you have to waste your or someone else's time/mp erasing yourself for AoE enfeebles, etc.
    Which doesn't even apply to most exp targets.
    (0)

Not to mention we have this cool little spell called "Stoneskin"
    (0)

Character
    Tigerwoods
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    I don't recall the OP saying anything about exp.

Who cares about exp? do w/e you want there, lol.
    (0)

Character
    Duelle
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Cream_Soda View Post
    I don't recall the OP saying anything about exp.

Who cares about exp? do w/e you want there, lol.
    Right, because everyone invites RDM to melee for exp groups--oh wait, nope we're still expected to cure, refresh and haste. Try again.
    (0)

Character
    Tigerwoods
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelle View Post
    Right, because everyone invites RDM to melee for exp groups--oh wait, nope we're still expected to cure, refresh and haste. Try again.
    Oh of course. I meant you can melee while you're doing that. If you're coming to melee, not hasting anyone, not refreshing anyone, etc. Why would anyone want you in a party? Rdm isn't a DD. If you want to swing your sword while you do your duty, that's fine. If you want to drop your duties to focus on your own pitiful damage, yes, you're getting the boot.
    (0)

Player
    RDM with chant du cygne is hardly pitiful damage.

Ideally RDM can get 5:30 hastes on other people, so no reason not to, really.
    (0)