Character
    Varos
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99

A Unique BST Ability for both Solo & Party play

I posted this idea in the Paladin possibilities thread as a way for other jobs to help tanks maintain their position in this crazy enmity world, but it didn't get any comments. Feedback is welcome.

---

One of the main areas in which Beastmasters excel is turning monsters against each other, making use of their predatory instincts (food chain).

New Job Ability: Mask Scent
    Level 40 (usable as subjob)
    Duration: 5min Recast: 10sec
    This ability lets you manipulate the instincts of enemies with the pheromone scents of predators and prey.
    * Targetable on self, alliance member, and pets.
    * Requires new consumables. (a drawback, considering inventory limits)
    * The effect can be removed with Deodorize or changed by another scent.
    * Cannot target enemies to change their monster family.

These Scents/Pheromones have several effects:
    * When trying to charm, using the same scent as the target will make charms more successful and last longer.
    * Masking your scent allows you to avoid any type of aggro (even true sight/sound aggro) from the same family as the scent you're using. (blend in)
    * In battle, using same scent as the target increases enmity, like rivals marking their territory.
    * Mask will give the target a separate effect: the killer trait against the prey's family.
    Predatory monsters will intimidate someone effected by their prey's scent.
    Using the target's predatory scent will lower enmity. (wants to run away from you)
    * Killer traits will: Add 5% damage against prey, Add 5% accuracy against prey, Reduce 2.5% damage from prey.
    Direct <> enemies only deal 2.5% more damage to each other, and add 5% accuracy against each other.

The effect of the job ability could either be based on the scent in the ammo slot, like Call Jugpet
    OR
    There could be separate "Mask spells" like Ninjutsu, which simply require the tools to be in the Bst's inventory.

The "Scent" effects go by the "Food Chain" chart:
    Plantoids > Beasts > Lizards > Vermin >
    Amorpha > Birds > Aquans >
    Dragon <> Demon
    Arcana <> Undead
    Lumorian <> Luminion

Consumable items (quiverable, stacks of 99) would be needed to work with all encounters with beasts.
    Basic items:
    A vial of <family> Scent (All jobs)
    HQ would create more potent effects, both in enmity increase/decrease and intimidation rate:
    A vial of <family> Pheromones (Bst Only)

The use of this ability, in relation to party play would be:
    * Use "Same" family scent on the tank. This would increase enmity.
    * Use "Predator" family scent on the other members of the party, granting them the killer effect and enmity down, both very useful.
    * Using the "Prey" scent would be very problematic for the group. (don't do it)

---

This idea for Beastmaster is primarily for party play, but has many solo uses as well. I'm curious about what Beastmasters would think of this. (I think it would be a unique job ability that is truly useful.)
    (0)

I think its neat. Yes it would be useful. I think dragon/demon, arcana/undead, Lumorian/luminion shouldn't be on the list but meh its fine if they are.

I would simplify it tho. Stackable 99 consumable items (NPC SOLD). 1 for each scent (Plantoids,Beasts,Lizards,Vermin,Amorpha,Birds,Aquans).

targets: pet, <me>, or ally.

Duration :5 minutes
    recast: 30 seconds

Target loses natural subtype and gains the subtype of the scent used. There new subtype falls in line with the Bonuses and penalties of the monster correlation chart as well as assigns the appropriate killer trait.

Example: A beastmaster and a Bluemage are duoing a pugil. The beastmaster targets the bluemage with Roc Scent. This tricks the pugil into thinking the Blu is a bird (the pugils natural predator). The bluemage is now treated as a bird and gains the benefits of aquan killer and predator status on the monster correlation chart.

Basically drop the special boost in damage and accuracy because the correlation chart alredy does that naturally. And lose the Same type <> same type special enmity boost (no special reason, the enmity thing just doesnt sound right to me and there is still benefit for putting it on a tank because of the killer effect giving a 10% interrupt and a boost to dmg and acc).

To answer your question tho, YES i think it would be very useful. Would work great with Killer instinct merits. Would give bst a little extra buffing power. Would help jug pet selection broaden a bit. Also it sounds beasty. And i like the idea that as these masters of the wild, we can trick our prey. I like skills that make the character feel clever.

I could even see this getting an upgrade through the lvl 99 merits making it AoE.
    (0)
    Last edited by Gotterdammerung; 05-06-2011 at 06:45 AM.

Character
    Varos
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Thanks for the feedback!

You brought up some good points. Here's my reasoning behind various aspects of my proposal:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotterdammerung View Post
    I think its neat. Yes it would be useful. I think dragon/demon, arcana/undead, Lumorian/luminion shouldn't be on the list but meh its fine if they are.
    I figured since the monster correlations already exist, that it would be easier to include them than to exclude them. It does make sense that those would be less likely to react to pheromones, so removing them wouldn't be a big deal to me either. (although, the dragons/demons include many monsters that do fit, like puks and tauri, that I'd like to see under the influence of this ability)

I would simplify it tho. Stackable 99 consumable items (NPC SOLD). 1 for each scent (Plantoids,Beasts,Lizards,Vermin,Amorpha,Birds,Aquans).
    NPC sold items would be very good. Making them craftable, and allowing HQ to be used only by Bst mains was one of my ways to keep Bst main superior to /bst sub, since we have other subjob issues.

Duration :5 minutes
    recast: 30 seconds
    The fast recast (10sec) is so it can be used on multiple party members during a fight, whoever needs enmity manipulation, on the fly. 30seconds may work for longer fights, or if you're set on fighting a single enemy type so the effect will beneficially carry over from fight to fight. I'm of the opinion that shorter recasts are always preferable, unless there is some sort of abuse possible with shorter time frames. (we're afflicted with way too many minute+ recasts on stuff in this game)

Target loses natural subtype and gains the subtype of the scent used. Their new subtype falls in line with the Bonuses and penalties of the monster correlation chart as well as assigns the appropriate killer trait.

Example: A beastmaster and a Bluemage are duoing a pugil. The beastmaster targets the bluemage with Roc Scent. This tricks the pugil into thinking the Blu is a bird (the pugils natural predator). The bluemage is now treated as a bird and gains the benefits of aquan killer and predator status on the monster correlation chart.

Basically drop the special boost in damage and accuracy because the correlation chart already does that naturally. And lose the Same type <> same type special enmity boost (no special reason, the enmity thing just doesn't sound right to me and there is still benefit for putting it on a tank because of the killer effect giving a 10% interrupt and a boost to dmg and acc).
    The special boost in damage/accuracy was pretty much just a recounting of the bonus already granted by killer traits, just spelled out as a bonus on the list (given some people may still think killer effects are just intimidation rates, and to point out the minimum bonuses I'd like to see from this effect.) New gear or merits could be added to enhance the bonus damage and accuracy.

However, enmity manipulation was one of the primary reasons for creating the ability, enforcing the concept of the Predator/Prey/Territorial aspects of animals, especially in combat. This is a way for Beastmaster to contribute to the smooth functioning of a party, keeping the enemy focused more on the tank than the rest of the party, without directly buffing a tank's DD ability. The behavior of rival males during mating season is the perfect correlation between a tank and a party's target. This isn't a fast method of hate control like Thieves and Trick Attack, or Dragoons Super Jumping; it's a constant moderation of how people accrue and diminish their hate levels in a Beastmaster themed way.

When using the Predator's scent against an enemy on DD's, the reduction of enmity along with the killer trait is especially important for this ability. One of the reasons tanks find it hard to keep hate is because DD's can reach the maximum hate threshold so easily and hate ends up bouncing around. By adding the enmity down effect, DD's under this effect will drop down from this threshold, and when they DO get hate, they'll intimidate the enemy occasionally while their hate is dropping and the tank tries to regain control of the situation. Very few jobs can manipulate hate in such a beneficial way.

Giving everyone the killer effect against the monster may also prove useful, when hate control isn't as important as the other killer effect advantages.

I hope my reasons come across as logical to others.
    (0)

Character
    Xilkk
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by AyinDygra View Post
    Thanks for the feedback!

You brought up some good points. Here's my reasoning behind various aspects of my proposal:

I figured since the monster correlations already exist, that it would be easier to include them than to exclude them. It does make sense that those would be less likely to react to pheromones, so removing them wouldn't be a big deal to me either. (although, the dragons/demons include many monsters that do fit, like puks and tauri, that I'd like to see under the influence of this ability)

NPC sold items would be very good. Making them craftable, and allowing HQ to be used only by Bst mains was one of my ways to keep Bst main superior to /bst sub, since we have other subjob issues.

The fast recast (10sec) is so it can be used on multiple party members during a fight, whoever needs enmity manipulation, on the fly. 30seconds may work for longer fights, or if you're set on fighting a single enemy type so the effect will beneficially carry over from fight to fight. I'm of the opinion that shorter recasts are always preferable, unless there is some sort of abuse possible with shorter time frames. (we're afflicted with way too many minute+ recasts on stuff in this game)

The special boost in damage/accuracy was pretty much just a recounting of the bonus already granted by killer traits, just spelled out as a bonus on the list (given some people may still think killer effects are just intimidation rates, and to point out the minimum bonuses I'd like to see from this effect.) New gear or merits could be added to enhance the bonus damage and accuracy.

However, enmity manipulation was one of the primary reasons for creating the ability, enforcing the concept of the Predator/Prey/Territorial aspects of animals, especially in combat. This is a way for Beastmaster to contribute to the smooth functioning of a party, keeping the enemy focused more on the tank than the rest of the party, without directly buffing a tank's DD ability. The behavior of rival males during mating season is the perfect correlation between a tank and a party's target. This isn't a fast method of hate control like Thieves and Trick Attack, or Dragoons Super Jumping; it's a constant moderation of how people accrue and diminish their hate levels in a Beastmaster themed way.

When using the Predator's scent against an enemy on DD's, the reduction of enmity along with the killer trait is especially important for this ability. One of the reasons tanks find it hard to keep hate is because DD's can reach the maximum hate threshold so easily and hate ends up bouncing around. By adding the enmity down effect, DD's under this effect will drop down from this threshold, and when they DO get hate, they'll intimidate the enemy occasionally while their hate is dropping and the tank tries to regain control of the situation. Very few jobs can manipulate hate in such a beneficial way.

Giving everyone the killer effect against the monster may also prove useful, when hate control isn't as important as the other killer effect advantages.

I hope my reasons come across as logical to others.
    We do NOT get a damage reduction or bonus from killer trait unless we are using Ferine Gausape +1/2.
    Killer Instict gives us a bonus via a circle effect, but otherwise Gausape gives this damage bonus.
    (0)
    Choh Moui | Rongo-Nango | Lhu Mhakaracca | Lungo-Nango | Nyumomo
    --Beastmaster Forever--

Character
    Alukat
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    there's no need for it
    (0)

Character
    Varos
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilk View Post
    We do NOT get a damage reduction or bonus from killer trait unless we are using Ferine Gausape +1/2.
    Killer Instict gives us a bonus via a circle effect, but otherwise Gausape gives this damage bonus.
    Well, there ya go. I did need to list it, because I expect this ability to grant that effect to the killer trait. It's a unique buff that Bst could grant to party members.
    (0)

I'm saying that an ability like this would be useful enough without messing with enmity.

and a 30 second recast is still short enough to be able to get several people especially with a 5 min duration. 10 seconds just seemed to short. You might as well suggest it as AoE if 30 sec recast seems to long to you.

Also monster correlation does give a damage and acc bonus for predator to prey.
    and a penalty to dmg and acc for prey to predator.

Killer trait only intimidates. unless you are wearing af3 +1/+2 body.

none of it gives pdt (unless your wearing the af3 body)
    (0)

Character
    Varos
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    I was going to suggest it as AoE, since pheromones are airborne, but as I stated, the enmity factor was my primary concern, and hitting the tank with the predatory scent scent would ruin the unique hate control aspect of the ability (unless they have someone use deodorize on the Tank, and then let the Bst use a single target version of this to put the rival scent on the tank only.)

Edit: Also, I didn't want to tread on the merit ability: "Killer Instinct" too badly. Already, I can see this merit as the primary objection to adding an ability like this. Making this new ability single target was part of my reasoning, since the merit is AoE.
    (0)
    Last edited by AyinDygra; 05-06-2011 at 10:36 PM.

well we will have to agree to disagree on the enmity issue.

Aside from that, i dont think this skill would step on killer instinct at all. In fact, it would actually have great synergy with Killer instinct. Being able to change your Bloodclaw shasra into a vermin type via this skill would mean you could not only remove the weakness of bsts vs plants but change it into lizards vs plants AND have access to killer instict when u otherwise wouldnt. I think they go together very well.
    (0)