Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Character
    Leara
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    I started 2006 with the Valkurm Dunes parties, Colibri camps in Wajaom Woodlands, WotG campaign battles, Worm parties in Aby La Theine too. Getting job points were fine (for me going to the Rocs in Marj Ravine). Of course, we keep grinding away but things are winding down now, due to the development team moving onto other things. I can't see this game being maintained for another 10 years. There are other things to do, games to complete & life to live. Getting 25k+ gal parties depends on who's around.
    (0)

Player
    I have little doubt XI will be around for at least another 10 years.

However they do need to take someone on that is younger that can take over after Fujito retires, just as Fujito took over from Matsui.

A game with a built in audience like XI just needs someone to "run the shop" and as long as they have that it can carry on for as long as it is wanted to carry on.
    (0)

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixela View Post
    I have little doubt XI will be around for at least another 10 years.

However they do need to take someone on that is younger that can take over after Fujito retires, just as Fujito took over from Matsui.

A game with a built in audience like XI just needs someone to "run the shop" and as long as they have that it can carry on for as long as it is wanted to carry on.
    It should be pretty easy normally, right?

Except it's a big corporate thing... soooo yeah... we're doomed. Doomed methinks I tells ya!
    (0)
    ...or so the legend says.

Player
    The biigger problem is that it's Japanese game, so there is a much smaller pool to recruit from.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    The biigger problem is that it's Japanese game, so there is a much smaller pool to recruit from.
    There is no shortage of game dev talent for them to hire, why do you think Japan has so many game dev companies? Because no one is working for them? And they don't just hire Japanese, they hire from all over the world, and have access to the same talent pool that any other company has.
    (0)

Player
    Everquest is smaller than XI but becasue it's a western company there is a bigger pool of people to recruit from that love the game, and want to work on it. Even if it means less pay than working on wow or something.

XI will only hire JP developers, which is a much smaller pool. That's not to say JP doesn't have lots of developers, it's to say they don't have many that will want to work on it as they would if they could recruit from NA and EU.
    (0)

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    XI will only hire JP developers, which is a much smaller pool.
    I doubt that seeing as Japan is the worlds 3rd largest game development country.
    (0)

Sirmarki, ex-Fenrir, a young warrior, in the heyday.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    XI will only hire JP developers, which is a much smaller pool. That's not to say JP doesn't have lots of developers, it's to say they don't have many that will want to work on it as they would if they could recruit from NA and EU.
    This is provably false as CBU3 has many people from North America and elsewhere on its staff. Michael-Christopher Koji Fox in particular who heads up lore and localization for FFXIV is not a Japan native, and all of the voice acting sourced from regions where people speak those languages. Many of them work in Japan in the SE offices there. Not to mention all the support staff, voice actors and various other roles all instrumental to the development of their games which in many cases can't really be done by a Japanese person as effectively.

Disclaimer: Yes, I know that FFXI doesn't have voice acting, the point is that, FFXI is maintained by staff at Creative Business Unit III in SE's offices in Japan, and there are plenty of people who work there who are not native Japanese.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 06-10-2023 at 09:10 AM.

Player
    If you have a smaller team everyone needs to speak Japanese, you can't have a conversation with the server team if you can't speak JP.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    If you have a smaller team everyone needs to speak Japanese, you can't have a conversation with the server team if you can't speak JP.
    Lots of people outside of Japan know Japanese. And anyone who wants to work/live/move to Japan is going to learn the language.
    (0)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast