Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Player
    If I buy $1k of crysta right now, I'm paying $1k to ff14 operations.

If I spend $20 of that $1k on my ffxi sub, I'm now spending $20 of that $1 on ffxi.
    If I spend another $20 next month on my ffxi sub, I have spent $40 on ffxi.

Buying $1k of crysta does not help ffxi, outside of the ongoing monthly payments directly to the game.

I'm specifically talking about bulk purchases with the intent to support the game with a lump sum, as in you're not doing so.
    (0)

Character
    Spicyryan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    How do you even reconcile this? They see you are using it to pay for XI. What even is this thread?
    (1)

Character
    Metalsmith
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    This makes as much sense as saying "Don't buy Target gift cards, they don't support Target brand coffee directly."

Crysta is used in Japan because credit cards aren't as readily available or convenient. Crysta can be bought at a convenience store and applied to your SE account to make purchases from SE. Every department is SE has a budget, and every department in SE has its own revenue streams. The budget is based upon the previous revenue streams, future development plans and estimated future revenue streams. It has nothing to do with Crysta, as the income from crysta is uncontributed to a revenue stream until it is spent. While it moves towards the company revenue, it has no line item attribution, except 'Online store currency'. It probably isn't even really considered profit yet because they don't know what it will be used on. The cost of the services it is used for will all result in different profits.

So, there ya go. You can take this information and move forwards with your life and preferred payment method, or you can be upset with a gift card created for the convenience of those without access to the Mastercard / Visa / Discovery credit network.
    (1)

Player
    FFXIV operations is the base service that is shown on financial reports.
    FFXI is a sub-operation inside the FFXIV operations service run as a side business and that is not even disclosed on any financial reports at all, in the same way a coffee shop would be inside a supermarket.

I am not allowed to use a credit card because there were blocked years ago, this is fairly common issue.

As such I can only buy crysta, normally I just buy whatever I need for the month a week before it's needed.

In January I purchased a few hundred and just let it sit there ready to be used, I did this with the intent of supporting FFXI specifically (aka, here is the full years sub upfront for all 6 of my accounts).

I later realized I'm not supporting XI specifically because it isn't assigned to anything until you use it on something. It sitting there is doing XI no good at all, it's just a generic sale in the XIV business operation.

As such I'm better off just buying crysta every 1-2 months and not buying it in bulk, and then I can leave it sit in my bank instead and get the interest off it. There is no reason to bulk buy because there is no benefit to ff11.
    (1)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarmarkvar View Post
    I don't understand Crysta. Why would you pay for services in that weird indirect way? I just keep a credit card on file.
    If you're one of those unlucky people who doesn't have a credit card that SE likes or you don't want to use a credit card at all.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalSmith View Post
    This makes as much sense as saying "Don't buy Target gift cards, they don't support Target brand coffee directly."

Crysta is used in Japan because credit cards aren't as readily available or convenient. Crysta can be bought at a convenience store and applied to your SE account to make purchases from SE. Every department is SE has a budget, and every department in SE has its own revenue streams. The budget is based upon the previous revenue streams, future development plans and estimated future revenue streams. It has nothing to do with Crysta, as the income from crysta is uncontributed to a revenue stream until it is spent. While it moves towards the company revenue, it has no line item attribution, except 'Online store currency'. It probably isn't even really considered profit yet because they don't know what it will be used on. The cost of the services it is used for will all result in different profits.

So, there ya go. You can take this information and move forwards with your life and preferred payment method, or you can be upset with a gift card created for the convenience of those without access to the Mastercard / Visa / Discovery credit network.

I've tried to get through to him that he doesn't understand how budgets actually work but it hasn't worked for... like years now.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    The square enix account system was created for xiv,
    Well yes, because the playonline account system was total garbage. The SE account system is a blessing in comparison. So while you're trying to slam SE again it doesnt work because this was an upgrade. And you are so blinded by your hatred for FFXIV that you simply can not make a rational argument on this subject.

SE knew Playonline was garbo, that's why they made a new system. They could have just used playonline for FFXIV, but that would have been stupid because PlayOnline is so flawed. But also, PlayOnline wasn't supposed to be just for FFXI, it was supposed to be for ALL of SE's online games (and indeed there were a few more PlayOnline games that we never got outside Japan) but it became clear pretty quick to SE that POL was not the way forward and I agree with them on that.
    (1)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 04-11-2023 at 12:59 PM.

Character
    Zehira
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalSmith View Post

I truly appreciate you took your time to write this information. It's really helpful. I think we all know we just don't care. He creates too many random threads like every week. His hatred for XIV is an embarrassment to this entire community.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    Well yes, because the playonline account system was total garbage. The SE account system is a blessing in comparison. So while you're trying to slam SE again it doesnt work because this was an upgrade. And you are so blinded by your hatred for FFXIV that you simply can not make a rational argument on this subject.

SE knew Playonline was garbo, that's why they made a new system. They could have just used playonline for FFXIV, but that would have been stupid because PlayOnline is so flawed. But also, PlayOnline wasn't supposed to be just for FFXI, it was supposed to be for ALL of SE's online games (and indeed there were a few more PlayOnline games that we never got outside Japan) but it became clear pretty quick to SE that POL was not the way forward and I agree with them on that.
    They don't care if it's garbage or not, playonline launcher still exists.

They use squenx account system because xi is a sub product under the xiv brand. XI is funded from the money XIV gets and so it gets all the profits, which works out a win for xiv.
    (0)

Player
    I truly appreciate you took your time to write this information. It's really helpful. I think we all know we just don't care. He creates too many random threads like every week. His hatred for XIV is an embarrassment to this entire community.
    Calm down man, you'll be fine. Nobody hates XIV, it's just facts that upset you.

Simple logic, if XI was its own product it would be stated on the financial report.
    (2)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast