Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Emeraal
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 24

Pug Pugil Problem

Hopefully I've picked the right category for this, but regardless, I've been trying to complete the 'To Catch A Falling Star' quest and combing through Pug Pugils hasn't gotten me any Pugil Scales to trade with the Twinkle Tree in West Sarutabaruta. I have 29 items of the 30 maximum that my inventory can hold, so it should have the space to enter into my inventory, and I'm thinking it might be a glitch or there's certain odds for it appearing, although I haven't seen information pointing to either cases.
    (1)
    Last edited by Cybermanderoid; 03-18-2023 at 11:40 AM.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Hey there, such items will drop regardless of your inventory space, this just seems to be a case of *really* bad luck. If you are solo and an item drops when your inventory is full, it will be lost immediately and you will see the message "Unable to obtain the <item>. <item> lost." If you are in a party, however, it will go into the treasure pool, and you will have a few minutes to free inventory space to be able to acquire the item.

Pugil scales will drop from nearly any pugil type mob from the lowest level to the highest, as you can see here. It does not have to be Pug Pugils.

https://ffxiclopedia.fandom.com/wiki/Pugil_Scales

Unlike many other MMOs that use special quest items that only drop from special mobs spawned for the quest, most such fetch quests in FFXI use regular monsters and any monster that can drop the item will work.

Remember to increase your inventory space once you get to Jeuno, there is a series of quests that will expand your on-character bag up to a maximum of 80 spaces, and you can also unlock additional storage spaces.
    (2)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 03-19-2023 at 03:05 AM.

Character
    Emeraal
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 24
    Thanks for the advice, I'll keep it in mind when I log back in and start hunting more for pugil scales.
    (1)

If you still can't get one to drop, they are available from the Auction House.
    (2)
    It's your server.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybermanderoid View Post
    Thanks for the advice, I'll keep it in mind when I log back in and start hunting more for pugil scales.
    Yea, and as Cat said, if worse comes to worse, you can just buy many items needed for quests off the auction house.
    (0)

Character
    Emeraal
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 24
    Yea, but the only problem with that method is that you seem to need to get gil from quests, and most the quests I've gotten so far is about drops from monsters, and 9 times out of 10 I don't get the the things I need from monsters in my region (Windurst). That being said I haven't started any work with the guards so maybe they have work for gil, but I really feel like I shouldn't need to sift through an auction house to get the drops I'd need for every quest I've started.
    (0)

Character
    Emeraal
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 24
    At the end of the end day though, all I really want to do is go through the game's story lines
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    As you progress more options become avialable to you. Don't worry too much about cash. you get gil rewards as you rank up in your home nation, and the other expansion's missions make themselves available to you.

but I really feel like I shouldn't need to sift through an auction house to get the drops I'd need for every quest I've started.
    You don't NEED to, but it's the quick fix, and it is very, very common in this game to just buy what you need instead of spending time hunting rare drops. Other people can find them for you. Whatever you've done, tons of other people have done it too. Remember, this game is over 20 years old, game design was very different then vs now. FFXI is often cryptic and there are often many ways to do things. Lean on one of the wikis so you always know what to do next. The wikis were forged by the blood sweat and tears of the adventurers that came before you.

The Records of Eminence quests were specifically put in the game to help newer players gear up without having to spend as much time grinding for gil and such. If you don't need the gear aavailable to you from them, you can buy any gear off the records of eminence vendor for sparks, and then sell them to vendors for gil. This is a fast money making strategy employed by just about everyone. There is a limit to how many sparks you can spend weekly (much like tomestones in FFXIV, and such), but if you're new you are very, very unlikely to reach that limit.
    (1)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 03-19-2023 at 01:33 PM.

Character
    Emeraal
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 24
    Then I'll see what I can do with The Records of Eminence and see where I'll go from there. I wanted to try not relying on a walk-through too much for this game but I'm too out of the loop on how things work in this game that I might have to, even if I try to discover things by myself as much as I can.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I wanted to try not relying on a walk-through too much for this game
    Even if you want to figure out the missions and quests and such on your own, the wikis are an invaluable reference for all the items, content mechanics, and such that will be useful to you so you can figure out where the items you want come from, how to get them, and all sorts of stuff. The wikis also generally seperate the plot details from the quest walkthroughs, so you can avoid spoilers if you do get stuck. It really is worth reading about the Jobs you wish to play and their spells/abilities ahead of time so you have a better idea what everything does when you get it. Because unlike modern MMOs, the game doesn't tell you exactly where to go and what to do most of the time, you often have to talk to the NPCs around you to gather information. But in all fairness, for many of us, piecing together clues and figuring all this stuff out was part of the fun. I bring this up mainly because it can be quite daunting for new players, especially of today's generation who are used to today's MMOs being a certain way when FFXI is quite different from most of them.

Of course other players in the game can also guide you. I'm not on Asura but I can try to help with anything you think to ask about.
    (1)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast