Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Character
    Waterdust
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99

Macros/Equip-Sets/Maps - Inquiry

I'm re-writing this first post a bit for the sake of clarity.

I AM NOT TRYING TO MOD OR EDIT THESE FILES, STOP GOING THIS DIRECTION!

I just want to locate which files are macros/gear equips-lockstyles/map markers/lock styles.

I want my own manual backups on an SD card, It'd also be nice to be able to share the macros/equip-sets/map markers/lock styles with friends.

Not interested in "check the USER dir" replies.
    Google/etc was 'not' my friend for this inquiry.
    I am NOT interested in posts that revolve around "not knowing what your doing" an such.

If you have nothing constructive to add, leave, do not post here. I will report you.

Thanks to those who actually help.. the trolls are not welcome here.

Serious biz only thread.

---------------------------

Updating, what has been found so far: (a backup of this list is with me offline incase its needed)

(This section below is thanks to: Fenrir - Zenion)
    Aucsort.dat = Auction Sorting
    cnf.dat = In-game Configs
    es0.dat thru es9.dat = Equip Sets
    ###.mrk = Map Markers
    mcr.dat / mcr.sys / mcr.ttl (an variable names) = Spell/ability/item Macros

(This section below is thanks to: Cerberus - Gillesjboulon)
    aix.dat = abilities sorting
    bs.dat = mog safe
    b2.dat = mog safe 2
    ca.dat = mog case
    cl.dat = mog house 'storage'
    cmb0~9.dat = synthesis history
    es0.dat thru es9.dat = Equip Sets
    gmNotice.* = GM support related
    is.dat / is_2.dat = inventory
    mb.dat = locker
    mix.dat = magic sorting
    moix.dat = mounts sorting
    sb.dat = mog satchel
    sk.dat = mog sack
    wr.dat = wardrobe (wr2.dat = wardrobe2...)

Maybe?:

ffxiusr.msg = Sent Messages (not /t) from others in-game

Remains Unknown What These Do/Are For:

ti.dat / pec.dat / eix.dat (not weapon skill sorting) / acq.dat / nmcr*.dat / timestamp.dat
    (0)
    Last edited by Auriga; 03-06-2023 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Clarification/Updating
    Signed,

Prof. Farnsworth:
    That proves nothing! And furthermore, you'd think I could remember a thing like that!
    Plus, who are you anyway?

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    Would saving the in-game settings into a file via the Final Fantasy XI Config utility [1] suffice, or do you specifically need the individual files?

It's under the Features tab, then In-Game Settings (Save / Restore).

Restoring them via said file can be done at the same place.

1. http://www.playonline.com/ff11/manua...?loc=en#140104
    (0)
    Last edited by Dragoy; 02-24-2023 at 03:45 PM.
    ...or so the legend says.

Character
    Waterdust
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoy View Post
    Would saving the in-game settings into a file via the Final Fantasy XI Config utility [1] suffice, or do you specifically need the individual files?

It's under the Features tab, then In-Game Settings (Save / Restore).

Restoring them via said file can be done at the same place.

1. http://www.playonline.com/ff11/manua...?loc=en#140104

That might help solve part of the idea.. but won't be useful in the sharing macro's an equip-sets an map markers to friends bit.
    (0)
    Last edited by Auriga; 02-24-2023 at 04:27 PM. Reason: missed quote
    Signed,

Prof. Farnsworth:
    That proves nothing! And furthermore, you'd think I could remember a thing like that!

Character
    Zenion
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Short answer: No. It's not user friendly.

Long answer: Sort of yes? In ..\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI\USER\ there will be directories that are just hexadecimal values. Those correspond to characters; if you only use one character, perfect, you should only have one to check. There will be files that look like es#.dat, M#####.MRK, mcr#.dat mcr##.dat or mcr###.dat; those seem like likely candidates. When I loaded my data from server, tig.dat acq.dat AUCSORT.DAT cnf.dat mcr.dat mcr.sys mcr.ttl and mcr_2.ttl in that same folder also updated, and are probably related data.

If this doesn't help, I've got nothing; those are all of the files in the entire PlayOnline file structure that changed on saving macros to server then loading them.

If I had to guess, I would say the .MRK files might be your map markers, the mcr#.dat ones could be macros, and the es#.dat ones could be equipsets.
    (0)

Character
    Waterdust
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenion View Post
    Short answer: No. It's not user friendly.

Long answer: Sort of yes? In ..\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI\USER\ there will be directories that are just hexadecimal values. Those correspond to characters; if you only use one character, perfect, you should only have one to check. There will be files that look like es#.dat, M#####.MRK, mcr#.dat mcr##.dat or mcr###.dat; those seem like likely candidates. When I loaded my data from server, tig.dat acq.dat AUCSORT.DAT cnf.dat mcr.dat mcr.sys mcr.ttl and mcr_2.ttl in that same folder also updated, and are probably related data.

If this doesn't help, I've got nothing; those are all of the files in the entire PlayOnline file structure that changed on saving macros to server then loading them.

If I had to guess, I would say the .MRK files might be your map markers, the mcr#.dat ones could be macros, and the es#.dat ones could be equipsets.

I think your right.. makes sense the .mrk would be the maps, though I think that Aucsort.dat is prolly something to do with how we tell the AH to sort things =)
    I didn't want to just assume what files were associated an how if I could avoid it.. but so far.. seems like we'll have to go this route.

I've had other games in the past where I assumed the wrong thing of file names, turned out poorly or ruined stuff. I was trying to avoid that here.

So what we seem to have:

###.mrk = map markers
    mcr.dat / mcr.sys / mcr.ttl (an variable names) = macros
    Aucsort.dat = auction sorting
    cnf.dat = in-game configs
    ffxiusr.msg = sent messages (not /t) from others in-game

Uknown Still

es.dat / aix.dat / b2.dat / bs.dat / ca.dat / cl.dat / is.dat / mb.dat / sb.dat / sk,dat / ti.dat / wr.dat / mix.dat / pec.dat / eix.dat / acq.dat / moix.dat / cmb.dat / timestamp.dat

An of course we can prolly just ignore the gm marked files =p I hope ( #.siz and #.fdt ), maybe the gst file without an extension too?

It seems like one might be able to get away with just copying an pasting the entire contents over to another friend.. but.. years ago this caused errors an a file system check from the pol viewer was needed as I recall to restore things to working order.

Hence why I'm going thru all this, of course.. SE could just help or make this more user friendly an we could just stop here.
    I won't hold my breath on that however.

Oh an before someone from SE says this should be in the suggestion box.. right.. >.> we'll get on that as soon
    as SE over hauls the pol viewer an UI in-game among other things -.- meanwhile, back to biz here..
    (0)
    Signed,

Prof. Farnsworth:

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    Apologies.

I went and assumed (which I generally avoid as much as possible) a little bit regarding how the Save / Restore works. Should have waited until I had a moment to test it.

I imagined it would simply slap the restored things over the current things, but it seems it is actually tied to the characters, which means at least moving the files around is necessary. To which extent those individual files might be tied to characters, I don't know at this time, and poking around with them deeper starts getting a bit too much towards being a violation of them User Agreements and stuffs. :V

Yeah, things may work if you simply replace them, but things might also break. ^^;

(By the by, the PlayOnline messages are in another castl... I mean directory. The 'ffxiusr.msg' is something else.)
    (0)
    ...or so the legend says.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Auriga View Post
    I've been looking around for a more solid source of info an found sketchy stuff/guess-work/incomplete info at best.

Is there a solid source on knowing which files are macros/gear equips-lockstyles/map markers?

I want my own manual backups on an SD card, long story short.
    It'd also be nice to be able to share the macros/equip-sets/map markers with friends.
    I just copied the entire folder, I know that's not the advice you're looking for, but it honestly makes more sense than picking out individual files. But you may have a specialized purpose, and at least for me, the relevant files are located here:
    D:\Program Files\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI\USER\bae7d6
    (Note that I specifically installed the game to Program Files and not Program Files (x86), so change as appropriate)

I'm not really sure the macro book files (99% sure the MRK files are the macro book files) are useful just by themselves, but I did some searching on my own to see if anyone's talked about this and came up dry as well.

That being said: The server backup feature works just fine, I used it to restore my macros and such after building a new PC and it worked flawlessly. No need for any manual file copying. Just press + at the character select screen or use the mouse to access the menu in the top right corner. Just something to consider.

Offering this out of genuine desire to help.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 02-25-2023 at 06:34 AM.

Character
    Waterdust
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    I just copied the entire folder, I know that's not the advice you're looking for, but it honestly makes more sense than picking out individual files. But you may have a specialized purpose, and at least for me, the relevant files are located here:
    D:\Program Files\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI\USER\bae7d6
    (Note that I specifically installed the game to Program Files and not Program Files (x86), so change as appropriate)

I'm not really sure the macro book files (99% sure the MRK files are the macro book files) are useful just by themselves, but I did some searching on my own to see if anyone's talked about this and came up dry as well.

That being said: The server backup feature works just fine, I used it to restore my macros and such after building a new PC and it worked flawlessly. No need for any manual file copying. Just press + at the character select screen or use the mouse to access the menu in the top right corner. Just something to consider.

Offering this out of genuine desire to help.
    I realize that your just offering the help, an thats cool.. but this is a subject that people are treating like "nuclear launch codes" an their really not.
    This game has been out for far too long for "no one to know anything" so I won't back down.

SE needs to give us a straight forward way to share this between chars/accounts/friends/manual backups to SD cards.
    I don't personally want to re-write all of those (macros) for others over an over an over again. I doubt anyone else does either.

If we press on with this, only 1 of 2 things can happen. Lets keep going.
    (0)
    Signed,

Prof. Farnsworth:

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    This game has been out for far too long for "no one to know anything" so I won't back down.
    I think you overestimate the desire of anyone to actually go and dissect all these files and have discussions about it everywhere.

I have an inkling where you might be able to find some information on this, but posting about it here might have negative consequences (But hopefully, by this fact you might know what I'm referring to.)

SE needs to give us a straight forward way to share this between chars/accounts/friends/manual backups to SD cards.
    Maybe straightforward is being a little generous, but we already have the means to do this. As I said, the server backup does work, but you can only store the user data for one character. There are four more client-side back-up slots on that menu, so that counts for something.

There's also one other option. There is a backup feature in the new FFXI config tool, which I didn't even know about til i thought to look at it after this thread:

This appears to back up the user data associated with all of your characters. You can just save it to your SD card or whatever, and restore it later. This backup file appears to be compressed, as it is smaller than the sum of the files in the folder.

but this is a subject that people are treating like "nuclear launch codes" an their really not
    I'm really not sure anyone is trying to keep a secret for you, just because you couldn't find info doesn't mean that people conspired to keep it under wraps. In order for stuff like this to get studied/analyzed/tools made/whatever, someone with the skills and know how needs to be a player of the game, realize there's a problem, and create a solution.

That said: I opened one of those MRK files in notepad. Here's the contents of one
    KMIX”& u marker 
           m n marker

menu r  0 ``p``p`   menu but o 

H ÜÿF. Station   F. Bivouac #1 
    ûÿáÿF. Bivouac #2 §ÿ/ F. Bivouac #3  CK Coalition OU Coalition  NV Coalition UM Coalition         menu a
    There is some binary data which you can't see because it doesn't render on this forum, but there's also some other text there, which corresponds with map markers on a specific area map. So these MRK files store the map markers both you and the game placed on maps.

Based on this, the files like "mcr.dat, mcr1.dat" appear to be macro data.

Edit: I opened these in notepad as well and found my macro text amongst various binary data. So yes, the mcr#.dat files are your macro books. mcr.dat is the first book, mcr1 is the second, and so on.

So hopefully that helps demystify those "nuclear launch codes." I would not reccomend editing these files though, there is binary data in there, so changing the text from there is probably not a good idea and could break things- especially given each file has a fixed size (which makes sense as each macro line can only be a fixed length).
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 02-25-2023 at 09:58 AM.

Character
    Waterdust
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Alhanelem - I hear all that, as for negative consequences.. I think some people are "assuming too much" about what I'm trying to do here -.-

I wrote a bigger block of text.. but I won't be stressed further about this a certain way.

The above does not address giving the macros/equip-sets/map markers to say friend B.
    Provide steps that reliably do so, or this continues.

Thanks =)
    (0)
    Last edited by Auriga; 02-25-2023 at 11:29 AM. Reason: formating
    Signed,

Prof. Farnsworth:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast