Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Player

What does "generation shift" mean Fujito?

"Happy New Year, FINAL FANTASY XI players!

Director Fujito here. Matsui-san wants to prepare for the eventual "generation shift," so this year I will be giving our customary New Year's greetings."

Putting this in the new years message obviously has some kind of untold meaning.

Does it mean you're taking over the project this year, does it mean some gameplay changes?

What does it mean?
    (3)

Player
    Probably means they will stop faking the care about FFXI and stop supporting any updates to it altogether again and just focus on FFXIV. They probably will put on huge incentives for FFXI current retail players to move into FFXIV already. They really can't wait to shut FFXI down ever since FFXIV was a success.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I'm quite sure hes talking about a generaiton shift of people, not some huge good (or bad) thing happening to the game.

Trust me you're all better off not speculating.
    (1)

Character
    Lilymon
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 1
    If we haven't moved to XIV (hint: most are players of both or have played both already years ago) why would we move now? I think most players know what they like and would rather see a sub decrease for subbing to both instead of one or the other.
    (0)

Character
    Velner
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    The generational shift is referring to the fact that Matsui is reaching retirement in the near future (approximately four years from now).
    (2)

Character
    Spicyryan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Lortheron View Post
    Probably means they will stop faking the care about FFXI and stop supporting any updates to it altogether again and just focus on FFXIV. They probably will put on huge incentives for FFXI current retail players to move into FFXIV already. They really can't wait to shut FFXI down ever since FFXIV was a success.
    If players haven't started trashy FF14 now then only a very insignificant minority will go to it once 11 shuts down in a decade or so.

Its possible that this game could outlive 14. If they ever make a new MMO to replace it then XI will survive, XIV will die out and end, and those people will move to the new 14. This game has lasting appeal and 14 absolutely does not. Thus 14 is a financial success, but otherwise a failure.
    (2)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Its possible that this game could outlive 14
    That depends entirely on how they respond to a decline in popularity or if they make a FFXVII Online. But I suspect after what happened with 11 and 14 they'll think twice about doing something like that again (at the very least, not without making sure it's actually good when it launches...)
    (0)

Character
    Vonima
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    During the anniversary event cast Matsui-san mentioned that one of his focus points is to create an environment where ffxi can survive well into the future because he is reaching retirement age. In Japan, when a business leader or manager is about to retire, they focus on handing off duties and tasks to those replacing them. In this case, Matsui-San asked Fujito-san to take up the mantle of delivering the new years address.
    (1)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Vonima2 View Post
    During the anniversary event cast Matsui-san mentioned that one of his focus points is to create an environment where ffxi can survive well into the future because he is reaching retirement age. In Japan, when a business leader or manager is about to retire, they focus on handing off duties and tasks to those replacing them. In this case, Matsui-San asked Fujito-san to take up the mantle of delivering the new years address.
    I knew people were reading too far into it!
    (0)

Character
    Spicyryan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    I knew people were reading too far into it!
    Yah think? Lol.

Good post, Vonima2, thanks.
    (0)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast