Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Because it's usually mandatory if it's a big company, and people doing a job they care about don't usually want to stop.
    No it isn't, and people who do a job they care about know when they're not able to do it as well as they could when they were younger.

I don't think you're old enough to really understand this. very, very few people can do a job forever ho matter how much they love it. There are lots of really important jobs that anyone would want but still wouldn't do forever unless they felt obligated to.

I've been in game dev and I want to do it, but will I still want to do it when I'm 80? No, I'll probably want to enjoy those golden years, so to speak.
    (0)

Player
    I'm gonna drop this after the post cause it's rude and he might read this, but it's not as simple as you think it is. Very few would want to retire from a job they find rewarding, even though there is this idea they would. Purpose > no purpose. It's almost always forced and people are not happy about it, unless they hate their job.

Regardless, the overall point is that we need to retain the level of staff that was there before. The game is already grossly understaffed (yes I know they can borrow help but still) and losing someone important (that does multiple things btw, he even designs ambv2 encounters) is not cool unless we get someone new to try keep a similar level of content being produced. Just shoveling more work on everyone else isn't acceptable.

I know there is an idea among some that this is an old game and it's not fair to take people onto the game since it stunts their career when everyone is working with UE or Luminous. However tens of thousands of us love this game and pay for it as a serious product, and we play it as our main form of entertainment. It's so unfair to not take on another developer out of fear of hurting their career long term, so we get a worse deal on a game we pay for and care about. Even Everquest hires new people, and that game is even more archaic than this is.

Yes this was mentioned official in the past in some interview.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Very few would want to retire from a job they find rewarding,
    That's your opinion. Unfortunately the world doesn't agree with you.

overall point is that we need to retain the level of staff that was there before.
    The number of staff isn't changing.
    (0)

Player
    If 1 leaves and isn't replaced it's changed.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixela View Post
    If 1 leaves and isn't replaced it's changed.
    Show me the proof that someone is leaving and not being replaced. It's a running theme in your posts that you make claims without backing them up.

All you have is your opinion that people don't retire from a job you're they're happy with, which is a load of baloney. Even if we were to accept that axiom, people in different countries and even different places have different attitudes about when you retire, why, and general attitude towards work. The emperor of Japan himself stepped down for health reasons- who wouldn't want to be an emperor? People retire for many reasons, and "I'm not happy with my job" isn't usually one of them.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 01-31-2023 at 06:17 AM.

Player
    We have the names of all the developers, if one of the most known leaves and nothing is said about replacements the implication is they have not been replaced and now it's just -1
    (0)

Character
    Vonima
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    In the anni cast he suggested he was foremost focused on creating an environment where FFXI could be preserved for a long while to come. The suggestion I believe is that the game would not see any major updates or course changes going forward. They are going into time capsule mode.

As much as I want it to be like other posters here, the tone was certainly not one of passing the helm off to a new director for them to open a new chapter FFXI development.

Hope I am wrong but unlikely so.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Vonima2 View Post
    In the anni cast he suggested he was foremost focused on creating an environment where FFXI could be preserved for a long while to come. The suggestion I believe is that the game would not see any major updates or course changes going forward. They are going into time capsule mode.

As much as I want it to be like other posters here, the tone was certainly not one of passing the helm off to a new director for them to open a new chapter FFXI development.

I don't really think you can infer much of anything one way or the other from that. It is literally just a passing of the torch. It doesn't mean updates are suddenly going to stop nor does it mean there's some big huge thing coming.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixela View Post
    We have the names of all the developers, if one of the most known leaves and nothing is said about replacements the implication is they have not been replaced and now it's just -1
    We do? List them.
    (0)

Character
    Vonima
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99

(0)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast