Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    You live off pedantic arguments, you know full well the point being made.
    If I live off "pedantic arguments," you seem to live off bashing SE over FFXIV and repeating the same false/dubious/pointless statements over and over.

The people who do the translations from JP to english are paid out of the EU/NA money paid to the EU/NA divisions of Square Enix, they are not part of the core dev teams.
    This is provably false, the FFXIV localization team is not just a bunch of translators, they actually work on the lore of the game in tandem with the JP team and report to Yoshi P which means they ARE part of the dev team (and are credited as such in FFXIV's credits)- They've done interviews and discussed this at length multiple times in the past, I'll have to dig it out but I think there's even some info on this in the first edition of the Eorzea Encyclopedia. They work in the same offices and are paid by SE in Japan in local currency. Please stop with your false statements for the umpteenth time. You're operating on some kind of assumption that all localization staff are contractors and that simply isn't true. They are on site staff and it would make no sense whatsoever for SE to compensate them through their NA subsidiary when they are both living and working in Japan. There is no rational justification for that.

The only reason I'm even reading your posts at this point is because I feel the need to make sure no one reads stuff like this and actually believes it, when it's just not true.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 01-06-2023 at 02:36 PM.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    If I live off "pedantic arguments," you seem to live off bashing SE over FFXIV and repeating the same false/dubious/pointless statements over and over.

This is provably false, the FFXIV localization team is not just a bunch of translators, they actually work on the lore of the game in tandem with the JP team and report to Yoshi P which means they ARE part of the dev team (and are credited as such in FFXIV's credits)- They've done interviews and discussed this at length multiple times in the past, I'll have to dig it out but I think there's even some info on this in the first edition of the Eorzea Encyclopedia. They work in the same offices and are paid by SE in Japan in local currency. Please stop with your false statements for the umpteenth time. You're operating on some kind of assumption that all localization staff are contractors and that simply isn't true. They are on site staff and it would make no sense whatsoever for SE to compensate them through their NA subsidiary when they are both living and working in Japan. There is no rational justification for that.

The only reason I'm even reading your posts at this point is because I feel the need to make sure no one reads stuff like this and actually believes it, when it's just not true.
    Just because they are listed in the credits, does not mean they are part of the dev team. Lots of things in XI and XIV were and are made by outside contractors, they are also listed.

Why would a JP company have regional offices, where your money goes to if they were not specifically paying for the services their region needs to function. When you contact customer service, you are directed to the teams that are paid for from the region your game is registered to. When merch is made, they have to be licensed from the specific regions head offices.

Translation is the same, the EU/US offices pay for the wages of those teams.

You see attacks against a company when there are none, you're like some weird lost cultist with a stick up your butt.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Just because they are listed in the credits, does not mean they are part of the dev team.
    Yes, actually it does. The "dev team" is not just programmers. It is everyone who works on the game in any capacity internally. Third party companies involved in the project aren't part of "the team" per se, but that's not what we're talking about here. we're talking about people who work for Square Enix in the Square Enix offices, in Japan, for Japanese wages.

Your argument is entirely hinged on technicalities and your personal interpretation of what certain terms mean, which do not align with generally accepted definitions.

Why would a JP company have regional offices,
    Because a company needs to have a physical presence in the countires they directly operate in and take money from. The NA offices of Square Enix house primarily management and support staff, and people who coordnate with the studios SE owns outside Japan and the third party companies that SE works with. SE hires all sorts of people for things like GM and technical support, and business related stuff. But the people hired to actually work on game projects are almost exclusively employed by the Japanese arm of the company.

Translation is the same, the EU/US offices pay for the wages of those teams.
    They only do this if those people are working out of those offices in those other countries. Staff working IN JAPAN are not paid by their foreign subsidiaries, unless they are only contractors that are there temporarily. SE employs full time localization staff for its major projects, those people work in the JP offices.

The Localization team at CBU3, which currently deal with FFXI, FFXIV, and FFXVI, are in-house staff in Japan. These are people who know both English and Japanese and work at the offices in Japan. They are not being paid by an office in the US because they aren't living in the US.

It. Makes. No. Sense. To. Pay. People. Living. In. Japan. From. Across. An. Oecan. In US. Dollars. When. They. Live. And. Work. In. Japan.

Look man, I've done actual work within the games industry before, I'm more qualified than you to make statements on things like this. Now: You would be correct if these people were contractors that were flown in by SE temporairly to assist with a project. But that's not what's happening here. The localization work for FF11, 14 and 16, which are all being handled by Creative Business Unit III, all happens in house. They are not contractors. I repeat, they are not contractors, and therefore they are direct employees at SE's Japan offices.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 01-07-2023 at 09:12 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2