Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 42
  1. #11
    Player Alhanelem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bastok
    Posts
    9,219
    Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    People on Asura like it that way.
    Except they really don't, because they're complaining about long waits for content, insane amounts of bots, etc.. Problems explicitly caused by overcrowding.

    That's not something you say when you like the way things are. If people move, there will be more people wherever they go. No one likes waiting hours for sortie, no one likes not being able to find an ML grinding camp, no one likes a million RMT bots. They *sign up* to asura because either they know someone there or becuase Reddit recommended they go there, and no other reason. Asurans created the problems they're having by piling on that server. The game was not designed for the player load Asura has. Even at FFXI's peak, no server had as many players as Asura has now.

    Ultimately, you have no right to complain about the problems Asura has if you "like it that way." These are problems that purely exist because of the overpopulation. Meanwhile, on other servers, we get punished with the loss of features that worked just fine just because Asura can't handle it. And you all want special fixes that only your server needs that will affect everyone.

    It is not a healthy situation, period. Balanced. Populations. Serve. Everyone. Better.
    (0)

  2. #12
    Player
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    Except they really don't, because they're complaining about long waits for content, insane amounts of bots, etc.. Problems explicitly caused by overcrowding.

    That's not something you say when you like the way things are. If people move, there will be more people wherever they go. No one likes waiting hours for sortie, no one likes not being able to find an ML grinding camp, no one likes a million RMT bots. They *sign up* to asura because either they know someone there or becuase Reddit recommended they go there, and no other reason. Asurans created the problems they're having by piling on that server. The game was not designed for the player load Asura has. Even at FFXI's peak, no server had as many players as Asura has now.

    Ultimately, you have no right to complain about the problems Asura has if you "like it that way." These are problems that purely exist because of the overpopulation. Meanwhile, on other servers, we get punished with the loss of features that worked just fine just because Asura can't handle it. And you all want special fixes that only your server needs that will affect everyone.

    It is not a healthy situation, period. Balanced. Populations. Serve. Everyone. Better.
    Some people want a bigger populated world and will accept numerous negatives to get that, they will still complain though cause that's human nature.

    Balancing the servers would cause a loss of players.

    I swapped to a small server a few months ago to finish an Emp, then I went back to Asura a week later.
    (0)

  3. #13
    Player Uriah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Posts
    670
    Character
    Ubizah
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 1
    No one plays on asura by choice. They play there because there is no choice.

    Overcrowded or zero players. That's not a choice. (And pay $30 to look, that's insulting)
    (0)

  4. #14
    Player Alhanelem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bastok
    Posts
    9,219
    Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Uriah View Post
    No one plays on asura by choice. They play there because there is no choice.

    Overcrowded or zero players. That's not a choice. (And pay $30 to look, that's insulting)
    Hundreds of players is not zero players. I do sortie every day that I log in, and I have no problem finding people to do it with (if I want to form a party). I do not have a static. I'm in a linkshell that's mostly full whenever I'm on it. It's easy. And Zero waiting to get into sortie.

    I feel like because of the number of bots on Asura that they think, "oht, there's 400 players online on this server, they must all be bots." No. Asura has disproportionately more bots for the number of actual players. Every server has bots, yes. But Asura has more as a percentage, I guarantee you.

    I've been on Shiva since I started playing (within a month or so of the US launch). I've never felt the need to transfer to a more heavily populated server, either because I can't do content or being unable to find items I need on the AH. Lately we're sitting on 6-800 concurrent users (and that's still thousands of users over 24 hours). I can ask my linkshell or yell and find people to do whatever is popular no problem. You don't need 3000 players online to accomplish anything.

    Now imagine if the top three servers (all well over 1000 spread their population amongst the rest, probably every current server would be sitting around 1000 or so, which is right on par with the way things were more than a decade ago.


    Ultimately, there is a choice. Ausurans are just blind to that fact (if every one of them is using your logic, which I think sells the average player short.)


    Balancing the servers would cause a loss of players.
    No, it wouldn't. It would result in a better experience for everyone, and would far more likely gain players for the game.

    Players that hop on Asura right now will likely find frustration waiting for content and competing with bots for EXP camps. That would be a thing of the past after balancing populations.

    Players on most of the other servers currently would see an increase in population and an increase in items available on the AH, while still not having lengthy waits for content, because no server would be exceeding what the game was designed to handle.

    From where I stand, everyone, and I mean everyone, gets a better experience if no server has too many or too few players. I promise you, your experience will be better. My experience will also be better (as long as we're not in the same party, probably). Seriously, everybody wins.

    And sure, some people do want to be amongst big crowds all the time, that still doesn't mean it's healthy for the overall game as a whole. My suggestion to such people would be to play a game that's better built and designed to handle the size of crowds they find ideal. FFXI isn't good at handling crowds because of netcode and graphics engine limitations. FFXI's maximum display limit is what... 25 PCs/mobs/NPCs I think? Most modern games you can play today allow for a lot more.

    The point is, FFXI wasn't really designed for the population that Asura has, And back when FFXI was at its most popular, no server had the population Asura currently has, I'm quite sure of it. And I promise if you took those people you say want to go where the crowds are and plugged them in to any random server after evening out the populations they wouldn't know the difference without using /sea all.

    For sortie they disabled the automatic transport feature when your instance is ready (such that people who aren't alert and paying attention don't take up instance space I guess). But this applied to everyone on all servers, even though it was only really relevant for Asura. The rest of us got punished for a problem Asurans manufactured.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 11-14-2022 at 12:57 PM.

  5. #15
    Player Okosego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    San d'Oria
    Posts
    14
    Character
    Okosego
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Uriah View Post
    No one plays on asura by choice. They play there because there is no choice.

    Overcrowded or zero players. That's not a choice. (And pay $30 to look, that's insulting)
    That’s a terribly ignorant statement.

    I’m on Phoenix and it’s a wonderful balance of players. Always people available to form parties to do whatever you want, the AH is always full of goodies, and there’s no wait times to do anything you want.
    (1)

  6. #16
    Player Alhanelem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bastok
    Posts
    9,219
    Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99



    Certainly doesn't seem like "zero players" or dead enough that people can't get things done.
    (0)

  7. #17
    Player Uriah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Posts
    670
    Character
    Ubizah
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 1
    Keep telling yourself that

    Copium
    (1)

  8. #18
    Player
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    >post
    I'll use ff14 as an example.

    Would people be happy if Square forced a cap on Ul'dah of 50 people or wherever is popular these days to balance them out and people were forced to "hang out" in other cities too, or would that cause mass outrage and lead to people quitting?

    It's no different, people on ff14 will take lower FPS and lag to be in the busy place.

    Some people like worlds with more people around, there is a psychological desire for that experience.

    It's not universal but it does exist and "balancing" worlds would cause people to quit, since the game is no longer giving the experience they want.

    I and many others like Asura the way it is, warts and all. I understand your point and why you're making it, it's a common sense outlook on running an mmorpg, I'm taking the emotional view that is just as important to retaining players.

    Wow did somethintg similar a while ago when they added sharding, it phases players into additional layers when it gets too busy and was a common sense move to reduce lag in major cities. Then players started saying the world feels barren to them, again many were fine with it but a percentage hated it.

    Most XI worlds are balanced, one is not and that world caters to people who want a specific experience.
    (0)
    Last edited by Pixela; 11-14-2022 at 07:33 PM.

  9. #19
    Player Catmato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    887
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    Except they really don't, because they're complaining about long waits for content, insane amounts of bots, etc.. Problems explicitly caused by overcrowding.
    Bro, you're wasting your time trying to convince people. You're better off just sitting back and laughing at their shout spam, their overcrowding, and their elitists while they sit back and laugh at our barren AHs and our lack of PUGs. Also, if there are 600+ people online on your server, you absolutely don't need more people.
    (1)
    It's your server.

  10. #20
    Player Sp1cyryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    691
    Character
    Spicyryan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Asura player here. Instant queues this weekend in the evening EST. Friday was not though.
    (0)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast