Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Player

The failure of Odyssey gear

Odyssey gear is some of the best gear in the game, however the methods to obtain and upgrade it are not only bad but not in keeping with FFXI traditions.

Something FFXI has always excelled at is the "Ikea effect" in that something you partially create has far more mental value to you than something you just buy. This is a universal and well documented cognitive bias we all share.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IKEA_effect

FFXI has always had two main methods of obtaining gear, creation and/or low drop rates and both of these add value to them in our minds (this is why something like Dalmatica is still my most prized possession, since it took advantage of both). With Ody, you just kill a monster and then buy the gear from an npc. This greatly devalued that gear in the minds of your players, the reason this system is used in other games is because the gear is made to be temporary and that does not fit with our game here.

Ody gear has less value in the minds of your players, and was less rewarding to obtain.

Ontop of that, the first stage rewards players with the visual Ody gear and the long winded upgrade process purely rewarded players with extra augments. Which means most players with Ody gear will never upgrade it.

Either the upgrade process should be easier/faster and/or it should offer some visual reward for doing so.

Even a white box as a +1 would of made a huge difference, but we didn't even get that.

Please in the future don't release gear in this same way you did with Ody.
    (0)

Character
    Spicyryan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    I have enjoyed farming Odyssey bosses for RP more than farming Omen, Sinister Reign, Skirmish, Divergence, or Sortie.

Who cares about FFXI traditions. I think it is nice to give players base equipment that is good for clearing the V0 and give the best players the challenge of V20. If anything, the only failing was that players only need to inflict 5% of the foe's health to get most of the RP with a mog amp.
    At any rate, some of that gear only becomes good with augments or only beats or competes with some at or near cap augment rank. That is good. I hope they develop more content like Odyssey and less like Omen or Sortie or Divergence.
    (0)

Character
    Velner
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    I disagree that the Odyssey gear doesn't feel valuable. I'm proud to walk around in my R25 gear. It's still rare as if it has a low drop rate, but it represents time and effort put into a difficult task.
    (1)

Character
    Spicyryan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Velner View Post
    I disagree that the Odyssey gear doesn't feel valuable. I'm proud to walk around in my R25 gear. It's still rare as if it has a low drop rate, but it represents time and effort put into a difficult task.
    A better system for sure. Rewarding players for overcoming difficult tasks most of the community can not and powering up the same equipment readily available to everyone. No alternative has been better so far.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I generally agree but the process of getting to v20 seems too long, especially with the other excessively long grinds in the game that only the most committed players have the time for.
    (0)

Character
    Spicyryan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    I generally agree but the process of getting to v20 seems too long, especially with the other excessively long grinds in the game that only the most committed players have the time for.
    It's really not long. Good groups breeze through the tiers. Doing Sheol A B or ideally C semi regularly is rewarding and benefits the players other character progression.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Velner View Post
    Ody gear should upgrade to +1 when fully augmented, if nothing else. That white border does matter.
    (0)

Character
    Spicyryan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixela View Post
    Ody gear should upgrade to +1 when fully augmented, if nothing else. That white border does matter.
    No, it doesn't. The stats would be the same. Any other obstacles are personal problems.
    (0)

Player
    Online games thrive on prestige, people checking you should show maxed out gear is better than NQ in a very visible way that should not require knowledge of Ody augments. Preferably the best skins (or minor glow effects) should be from the best upgraded armors but that's not going to happen. At a minimum there should be a white box, I don't get why anyone would even argue against that since it would encourage more people to work on upgrading.

inb4 nobody cares about that, yes they do it's human nature to want to be better than someone else and it is a driver to do content. Pretending that's not how our brains work is bad game design.
    (0)

Character
    Spicyryan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixela View Post
    Online games thrive on prestige, people checking you should show maxed out gear is better than NQ in a very visible way that should not require knowledge of Ody augments. Preferably the best skins (or minor glow effects) should be from the best upgraded armors but that's not going to happen. At a minimum there should be a white box, I don't get why anyone would even argue against that since it would encourage more people to work on upgrading.

inb4 nobody cares about that, yes they do it's human nature to want to be better than someone else and it is a driver to do content. Pretending that's not how our brains work is bad game design.
    Ah yes, the old human nature argument.

People notice that I have an entire set R25ed and they have a whole set R0 anyway. I don't need a white box around it because I am not such a fragile flower.
    (1)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast