Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Online games thrive on prestige, people checking you should show maxed out gear is better than NQ
    Sorry, borders are irrelevant. Otherwise, I could take some low level blue box items and go hey look at me I'm awesome.
    (0)

Player
    If this were true nobody would buy +1 items for 10-20 times the price, many endgame items that cost 600-1m have 10-20m white box variants.

Unless you specifically know how the Ody armor system works, you will check someone with Ody armor on and it will be identical in every way to someone that has an NQ set.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    If this were true nobody would buy +1 items for 10-20 times the price
    They buy them because they're better, not because they have an outline around the icon.
    (1)

Character
    Spicyryan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixela View Post
    If this were true nobody would buy +1 items for 10-20 times the price, many endgame items that cost 600-1m have 10-20m white box variants.

Unless you specifically know how the Ody armor system works, you will check someone with Ody armor on and it will be identical in every way to someone that has an NQ set.
    You are basically just trying to twist it into "gimme glamour!!!"
    (0)

Player
    It's both.

Video game worlds are no different than real life, people will spend more time/money on something to gain prestige over others.

Whether it's buying an apple iphone, a designer shirt, a cash shop cosmetic or a +1. If apple made an iphone with no logo on it, I guarantee you it would sell significantly less than the one with a logo on it (even if it cost more)

Back in the day I joined a HNMLS purely to get a Dalmatica, I didn't want the 50mp and 1 refresh.
    I also stopped leveling to buy a haub+1, for that white box, I farmed spiders for months.
    When I played a certain f2p game with loot boxes, I ended up spending hundreds of £ to get a very rare cosmetic.

These days idgaf but back then I did, and most everyone else works the same way. Especially in games built around progression and min/maxing.

The developers do already know this, which is why they added master stars and a visible subjob increase with Mlevel. Which is why it's so confusing when they don't add some visible showcase for mastery rank (outside of mentor chat) and white boxes to fully augmented gear.

Ody sets are great gear, poorly implemented.
    (0)

Character
    Spicyryan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixela View Post
    It's both.

Video game worlds are no different than real life, people will spend more time/money on something to gain prestige over others.

Whether it's buying an apple iphone, a designer shirt, a cash shop cosmetic or a +1. If apple made an iphone with no logo on it, I guarantee you it would sell significantly less than the one with a logo on it (even if it cost more)

Back in the day I joined a HNMLS purely to get a Dalmatica, I didn't want the 50mp and 1 refresh.
    I also stopped leveling to buy a haub+1, for that white box, I farmed spiders for months.
    When I played a certain f2p game with loot boxes, I ended up spending hundreds of £ to get a very rare cosmetic.

These days idgaf but back then I did, and most everyone else works the same way. Especially in games built around progression and min/maxing.

The developers do already know this, which is why they added master stars and a visible subjob increase with Mlevel. Which is why it's so confusing when they don't add some visible showcase for mastery rank (outside of mentor chat) and white boxes to fully augmented gear.

Ody sets are great gear, poorly implemented.
    Your first point had no direct correlation to your second point. You are just trying too hard to say something isn't bougie enough for your point of view. It doesn't matter. Especially because the Odyssey gear is well balanced for min-maxing.
    (0)

Player
    (1)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Well no offense but you're weird, because that's why most people wanted it. Sure, TODAY someone might get one for the look now that we have lockstyle sets, but given that cosmetic items weren't really a thing (or rather, a thing that people didn't use because there was no convenient way of using them) "back in the day," situations like yours are an exception not the rule. it's different in FFXIV where there are gobs and gobs of item that exist for the sole purpose of glmaour, and some are rarer than others and command higher prices. but in FFXI, most items specifically intended for vanity are obtained through events or are pretty easy to obtain. And again, I've never heard of someone buying an item just because its icon has a border on it. People bought them because those items with the borders are statistically better than the ones without them, given that those borders specifically signify upgrades over an earlier version of an item.

FFXI does not have anywhere near the same kind of glamour market that most games today have. it is a matter of stats/bonuses for most people most of the time. its not like having the best gear doesn't command prestige on its own.
    (0)

Player
    The fact games can make more money from a cash shop selling cosmetics than a sub fee proves my point how important they are in the minds of players, a white box isn't better than a cool armor design but it's a visual step up from an NQ box and that's the point. This is why I personally think cosmetic cash shops are actually p2w honestly.

Also a game having less of something does not mean they have less value, quite the opposite actually. HNM king drops had a ton of effort put into the designs, and that's why they were so desired for so long. If XI had a cosmetic cash shop back in the day selling really amazing armors, HNM would of not been what it was.

Getting a Adamn Haub was more about how it made you look, and how few had them than the extra 3 acc and 3 attack etc.

The time and effort investment people put into HNM was partly because it was PVP-PVE but a huge pull was getting the elite "look" to many players above the min maxers. I did HNM or a long time and I know how important the look was to a lot of people.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    The fact games can make more money from a cash shop selling cosmetics than a sub fee proves my point
    FFXIV has both a sub fee and a cosmetics shop, and there is no breakdown available on how much they get from each.

And obviously, FFXI does not have a cash shop, so this point is irrelevant.
    (0)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast