I like Hell Tacos
    (3)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I know all about liking unpopular things, unfortunately it is often the case that those unpopular things disappear.
    Like every game mode of League of Legends I actually liked. Deleted.
    (1)

Player
    exactly this.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    I know all about liking unpopular things, unfortunately it is often the case that those unpopular things disappear.
    Like every game mode of League of Legends I actually liked. Deleted.
    There is a big difference between being unpopular and being niche.

A niche product, has lower costs and makes profits appealing to a niche market that are fiercely loyal.

A popular product makes a mass market, watered down clone of what is popular and competes with the biggest and most profitable games in the industry.

By your logic, nobody should make hell tacos because it's unpopular. That's not how business works though.

FFXI and Eve Online are both loved games that make good profits, however it's going to be a hard sell for some company to make a game to compete for this limited market. As such FFXI and Eve have a certain degree of a monopoly on the markets they appeal to and as such have uncontested profits.
    (1)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    There is a big difference between being unpopular and being niche.
    Not really.

Something that is niche only appeals to a specific subset of people. People within that subset love the product/thing/whatever, but the majority do not. I think you just take offense to something being called "unpopular." If only a few people like something, unpopular is an appropriate word. Niche is basically a sugar-coated synonym for unpopular. If only a few people like or do something, that thing is unpopular. Niche is just a nicer way to describe it.
    By your logic, nobody should make hell tacos because it's unpopular.
    That's not my logic, and I never said people SHOULDN'T make things because they're unpopular. I'm only saying that they often don't or they stop.

It's a shame when something we like disappears due to lack of popularity. But a niche audience for a product can make it really hard to sustain that product if they can't eventually grow that audience.

Like my example. It's not to say that nobody played Dominion or Twisted Treeline in League. they had a NICHE following that was very dedicated to those modes. But that wasn't enough for them to justify keeping it, because it complicated their QA process and added to their server costs.

Nowhere did I ever say that it isn't okay for only a few people to like something, because like I said, I'm often in that boat myself. But that something has to achieve certain minimum metrics or it isn't likely to be sustainable.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 12-29-2022 at 10:05 AM.

Character
    Lilymon
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 1
    OP is the type of hypocrite "tired" of all that and then he goes to play on a private server where those exact problems are expounded on 50x. Gotta love how hypocritical people can be. Hes complaining about the exact same things that have been staples in this game since day1 lol
    (1)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    How do you know they're on a private server?
    (0)

Character
    Lilymon
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 1
    Because I was born on the internet and raised. Well, I know how people are so he is either on XIV or a private sever. Hes exactly the type of person to say something like "omg I hate that SE did x, im quitting XI and will be on XIV, they wont get my money!"

I will agree with him on the fact that botting and cheating has become rampant. SE really needed to reign that in ages ago, but I fear is too late. Its had a negative impact on the community overall as multi boxing has pushed out group/team efforts. Multi boxing has become as prominent due to ease of use with addons and most specifically bots to automate.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Because I was born on the internet and raised. Well, I know how people are so he is either on XIV or a private sever. Hes exactly the type of person to say something like "omg I hate that SE did x, im quitting XI and will be on XIV, they wont get my money!"
    I mean while that's entirely possible, it's just an assumption. You basically made an assertion of fact which implies you know they are on a private server, either because they told you or because you've seen them on one and can confirm it's the same person, or saw them live streaming, etc.
    You can say "they're probably on a private server" without knowing this, but you can't say with certainty that they are.
    (0)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5