Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Character
    Jkap
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    I agree with OP, as someone who has been playing FFXI for three years coming from XIV , FFXI is a much better game with a better sense of community and freedom, a better battle system too as well

FFXIV for me is a solo game with mutiplayer stuff like dungeons, which you can totally not even interact with one another, do your spammy boring rotation and leave the dungeon, never having to see your party members again

FFXIV is so boring for me and after 7 years, I retired my lalafell I'm the sea of clouds, FFXI is my home now
    (2)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    People like me should not expect something what SE will do and will not do like a new expansion, remastering, porting to console, etc even if FFXI is considered a profitable mmorpg. FFXI is no way a popular game.
    I mean, I never said these things.... While It would certainly be nice if they did, it's certainly not in any realm of my expectations that they will do so. I know quite well that "popular" is really not the best word to describe things here.

I'm in agreement with you here, on pretty much everything you said.- So again, I'm not really sure why you've felt compelled to edit me out of the forum.

I still enjoy this game casually. It's unlikely I'm going to bother with these new weapon series and I don't know if I'll ever get a job to ML50. but I still enjoy the game on a here-and-there basis.

FFXIV for me is a solo game
    I mean, they're both solo games really at this point. That said, FFXIV is huge on community, just not in the same places as you would expect. in FFXI, the sense of community came from the grinding and content we all did together. in FFXIV, most of the community interaction takes place outside of the content- Musical performances, "brothels," just hanging out in your friends' or guilds' estate halls, etc.

Whether you loved the crab grinding here or you love the.... after hours entertainment over there, I'm not one to judge.
    (1)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 09-15-2022 at 10:31 AM.

Character
    Zehira
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    XI is still XI because it is made of the PS2 game. We use Windower to get rid of some PS2 limitations. Well, that's not enough. Players have dreams of upgrading their game by replacing textures with high res packs and enabling a XIV-style crossbar plugin to make it feel like XIV 1.0.

XI's community is great... Well, not as good as WingsXI. 0 bots, 0 rmts, no spammy /yell. Multi-boxing not allowed. The economy is low because of no rmts. Can hold more than 7 items in the auction house at a time. Exp parties there are great too like old times.
    (1)
    Last edited by Zehira; 09-15-2022 at 11:07 AM.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    As much as the old grinding parties were the heart of our community, I don't really miss them- (well, they're still here but not quite in the same way.) Why, you might ask? Because honestly the game itself wasn't the fun part, it was the community interaction. Which is all well and good, but we became a community because we were sharing a relatively boring experience. These days there's a lot more to do

As far as the private servers, well the reason there's no bots or RMT is because it's a niche community, and also because every user of those servers is circumventing the subscription fees. The RMT probably dont even know these private servers exist.
    (1)

Character
    Zehira
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Very true about circumventing the subscription fees. Sad truth is back I was advertising the game to someone and she decided to run to that said private server and encouraged me to join with her. As much as I liked to try it for myself, it wasn't bad. Too many bugs.

Believe me, it won't last forever because it has no further development.
    (1)

6. 09-15-2022 05:03 PM

Player
    When you compare an mmorpg to the rest of the market you do not compare it to the market leaders, you compare it to the rest of the genre.

Star Trek Online, Elder Scrolls Online, Everquest, Rift, Eve Online, Black Desert, Guild Wars 2 etc

XI is popular because it has comparable numbers to the games mentioned above, however unlike the games mentioned above there are no free to play users on XI. Everyone playing this is paying to play it and so is a valued player, instead of a free user costing the company money.

Also to point out, that the costs of running XI are much lower than the games above due to being merged with XIV operations.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    When you compare an mmorpg to the rest of the market you do not compare it to the market leaders,
    When it comes to discussing popularity, that's.. exactly what you do. "More popular than this other game that isn't popular" isn't a good definition of popular.
    (0)

Character
    Jkap
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post

I mean, they're both solo games really at this point. That said, FFXIV is huge on community, just not in the same places as you would expect. in FFXI, the sense of community came from the grinding and content we all did together. in FFXIV, most of the community interaction takes place outside of the content- Musical performances, "brothels," just hanging out in your friends' or guilds' estate halls, etc.

Whether you loved the crab grinding here or you love the.... after hours entertainment over there, I'm not one to judge.
    yeah the community is huge but I have never felt so lonely in an MMO like FFXIV, I have gotten all my crafters and gathers to Level Cap so I didn't have to depend on anyone, I usually don't ask ppl for help with things so I was able to do everything myself.

I did S and A rank huntings and it was just going from point A to Point B and no one was rarely interacting with each other, Same as dungeons runs.

"Hello!, GG, thanks for the run" was the only interactions in dungeons I mostly get

my Free company wasn't much better,they did their raids and and savage runs and I did dungeons, I rarely interact with them and me, I left the FC soon afterwards and I have never Stuck to an FC in all my seven years playing

on FFXI, I asked for help and questions about what subjob to use. boss fights, omen, ect ect. FFXI forces you to interact with people to get stuff done or ask for Senergy crafting,

Im in a LS in FFXI and it feels more of community feeling than any of my time in ffxiv

in this game and age , FFXI forces you to interact with people, XIV you can play the game without every talking to someone
    (1)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    When it comes to discussing popularity, that's.. exactly what you do. "More popular than this other game that isn't popular" isn't a good definition of popular.
    If I say I'm making a good amount of money with my job and someone compares me to Jeff Beizos or Elon Musk and says I'm not that's not a sensible argument. Neither is it a fair comparison to say such and such game is dead because Fortnite.

You compare it to the majority of the market in that genre, not the top ones like wow, lost ark of 14.
    (1)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    in this game and age , FFXI forces you to interact with people,
    Even then, this is only true to a certain extent today. You can still do most things by yourself, but there's a significant difference in efficiency when you work with other players instead.
    (1)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4