Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Player
    I'm laughing at you thinking caling you ted cruz is a personal attack, grow up.
    (0)

Character
    Sampi
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Reading this exchange, I'm not surprised Pixela plays on Asura.
    (2)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinuko View Post
    (0)

Character
    Afania
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Beastorizer View Post
    https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/List...ng_video_games

The top titles, or highest grossing online games are either F2p, or Buy to play. This got me wondering, WoW may simply be an anomaly. As times changed, with the emergence of PS Plus and Gamepass......More MMO have become F2P.

WoW has also recently fell off while XIV lost a HUGE chunk of their Steam player-base not long ago (Not so nice news of XIV seems to be well hidden unless you are Anonymous or some internet sleuth team....).

This is why began to play XI mostly during events. I rarely touch XIV...if ever....(I did sub to check out the Island stuff.....Instant regret.....plan on going back to the free trial after that). To me, it is not justifiable to pay $13-15 for one game, when I can pay the same for hundreds of newer titles.

This is not a bash XI thread; XI is actually my favorite FF. It is just a random thought I had.
    Your anti-sub model argument is fairly flawed, you are basically saying sub model is "outdated" only because 1) There are Other titles beats FFXI in terms of revenue (well, yeah, of course there are always better selling titles out there.....) 2) You personally want cheaper games, therefore all games should price based on your expectation, even if other users are perfectly willing to pay for a higher price. This is quite a flawed way to determine the optimal pricing model.

First of all, when it comes revenue the market size matters a lot.

Some of the top grossing online games in that list, such as Lineage, Honor of Kings, Dungeon Fighter, WoW etc has China/South Korea/Taiwan release which are 3 of THE biggest market for MMO. But FFXI never release in such regions officially, so that's a huge chunk of market that they aren't getting.

Lineage was also sub based MMO btw, it's a 2000(I think?) game and at that time F2P model didn't exist.

Also according to your own list, FFXI lose to FFXIV(also a sub based game), but beats FFX and FFVII(2 of most profitable single player FF title).

Therefore, I can't arrive at the conclusion that F2p or Buy to play, for sure, is better than sub based model since you can get the opposite conclusion simply comparing FF series sales. I think you probably arrive at such conclusion because you personally feel FFXI is more expensive than other games and you want it cheaper, not because there sales data proving such conclusion is in fact true.

2) whether one group of customer find the price justifiable or not is irrelevant when it comes to revenue generation. The playing experience that FFXI provides can't be found in other games on Game Pass so the potential customer is still there, willing to pay for such price.

It's the same reason why newer AAA titles cost $60 and people still buy them despite there are cheaper non-AAA games, because some customer prefers AAA experience.

Even if you don't find $13-15 justifiable, other people still pays that price. It means you aren't the target audience, that's it.

Btw, I'm personally a fan of Game Pass and have active membership from time to time depending on titles available. Although I like it, it doesn't replace FFXI when it comes to video game entertainment even though it's cheaper. Because the value of a video game is not just the price, but the experience too. There are only a few games that I want to play on Game Pass, because I prefer more niche/unique titles than mainstream/popular titles, and Game Pass frequently doesn't have these.

Once I'm done with whatever I want to play on Game Pass I cancel sub. Therefore Game Pass doesn't really replace FFXI IMO. If I don't want to play a game, having that game available for $1 or even free isn't going to make me play it.
    (1)
    Last edited by Afania; 09-07-2022 at 12:20 AM.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    F2P games only give an illusion of cheapness. If you want to really get into another game on the same level as you probably got into FFXI, you're going to need to spend money. And in all likelihood, more than you would spend on a subscription. Unfortunately that illusion is really good at hooking people in.

And I know from experience. I regularly play one mobile game, and while I'm far from being a whale, I end up getting the "Monthly card" which supplies resources and a subscription which unlocks extra perks. Together these cost as much as my sub to both FF games (with the legacy discount, at least), and it's like, only just enough for me to keep up with other players. I know it's a scam, it's kind of a guilty pleasure. I would really, really rather pay one fixed price than be nickel and dimed.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 09-07-2022 at 05:59 AM.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Even before it kind of took over as the server to be on, I'd heard from many that Asura was the cesspool of the game. lol
    (1)

Character
    Sampi
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    Even before it kind of took over as the server to be on, I'd heard from many that Asura was the cesspool of the game. lol
    I used to play there for a few years back in 2015 to 2018. It was getting worse and I hear it's pretty bad now.
    Only good thing with being on a populated server is the market but getting spammed from merc and rmt shouts was getting utterly annoying. You as a player shouldn't have to turn off chats to enjoy the game.

And SE not doing much/nothing about the botting situation also contributed.
    (1)

Player
    Yoshida

In regard to profitable operations, hiring server engineers and other staff to work exclusively on FFXI around-the-clock the whole year round would increase its expenses. So in Creative Business Unit III, engineering fees are expensed under FFXIV, while the FFXI team can submit proposals for tasks that require engineers (programmers). Once a proposal has been reviewed and approved, we have the programmers estimate the costs and then have a discussion with them. If we asked them to focus on FFXI for three months, for example, then FFXI would only incur costs for those three months. This allows us to keep costs down and is one of the perks of overseeing two MMORPGs in our division.
    https://we-are-vanadiel.finalfantasy...id=367&lang=en
    (0)

Character
    Sampi
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    What you want said with this 3 months old interview?
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    What you want said with this 3 months old interview?
    He's actually citing the source for FFXI's expenses being billed under FFXIV. Which I would consider an acceptable source, coming from SE itself- but he's also long been asserting that they combine the playercounts of the games when talking about how many players they have, Which has never been said by SE and isn't provable otherwise.

But the purpose of that expense merging isn't what he wants us to think. They're simply doing it for efficiency. By putting the projects under one umbrella, they can have a single pool of talent and the FFXI producer (Matsui) makes a case for (usually this is done with a cost-benefit analysis or CBA) and asks for resources when he needs them. Of course this goes beyond the development staff, as the same customer support staff also handles both games. This has nothing to do whatsoever with deliberately trying to pad FFXIV's income or player count- and in fact they are only talking about expenses here- not income, and not player counts. This structure is what allows FFXI to keep operating as it does. Had Yoshida not stepped in, FFXI likely would have stopped getting any content updates long ago.
    (1)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3