Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    Player
    SE should be investing whatever development time they have on content that most people want. Not what a few bored people I can count on my hands who love slot machines want.
    The effort it takes to add a +1 set of Lillith gear or a 119 variant of some rare drop that already exists is minimal, and will keep people working on them for years.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Why would people who make alliances make them after 5 clears to be able to upgrade af3?
    Because a lot of people need this stuff and it's not trivial for just a few people so may as well take as many people as you can?

The effort it takes to add a +1 set of Lillith gear or a 119 variant of some rare drop that already exists is minimal, and will keep people working on them for years.
    If I've learned anything from 20 years of FFX is that everything is orders of magnitude more effort to make in this game than anyone thinks it is.

And most people will be like me- they'll do it a few times, not get the drop, and give up. Or maybe you'll get it first try, and in either case, you won't be doing it again.

Please, just accept the fact that people who like rare drops are about as rare as the rare drops themselves.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 12-02-2022 at 09:25 AM.

Player
    FFXI is literally built on and existed as such for most of its life.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    FFXI is literally built on and existed as such for most of its life.
    That doesn't mean that it was a good thing and that everyone liked it. FFXI succeeded in spite of its #($%^ drop rates, not because of them.

Its easy to cheap out on content and just make the drops rare so people have to do it a million times, when you could just make more and better content that you do because it's actually fun rather than because of the tiny chance of getting a cool item.
    (0)

Player
    It lasted 20 years, it 100% does.

Nothing succeeds despite something, it's almost always because of it.

No matter how much I love this game, the moment I have no goals left I will stop playing and I'm not alone in that. Running this game like 14 will kill it, because the audiences are a lot different.
    (0)
    Last edited by Pixela; 12-02-2022 at 05:55 PM.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    It lasted 20 years, it 100% does.
    There's zero correlation between the ultra rare drops and how long the game has been running. Zero.

And again, I agree with you, goals are necessary. But goals don't have to be luck based, and pretty much everyone would prefer that they weren't. Which is why they're adding yet another set of super weapons. They're designed to take time but to be achievable. without being wholly dependent on random chance.

This is where we're not connecting. You say you need goals and I've been saying I agree goals are needed. But goals != minuscule drop rate rewards. Goals can be anything, so we may as well make them things people actually want to do vs just giving us another glorified slot machine.

Thewe's content I still haven't done to this day and I have basically none of the famous rare drops that you claim are so vital. There is still absolutely no shortage of things to do.
    (1)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 12-02-2022 at 06:18 PM.

Player
    They need both, and the super rare drops don't have to be for you and they don't have to be OP but they do need to be part of the game like this.

The problem with grinds made for hardcore players is the length the grind it has to be is a massive mental barrier. With RNG the time can be the same but the mental barrier to engage is far lower because every run is a chance for it to drop.

It took me about 6-7 months (about 10-20 kills a week) to get a full set of Malignance gear, every run was "will it drop" and so every run was exciting and engaging, which is why I kept coming back. As opposed to 6 months of solid grinding where I know I will get nothing till the end, which would of been far more mundane and off-putting.

I'm trying to think and I'm pretty sure I have obtained everything in this game that I wanted to get, that was from RNG (except crep cloak so far). Including a Kraken Club, every NM drop I camped, everything from kings and other HNM. I can't think of one thing I wanted, tried to get and didn't power though to get (other than crep cloak but I haven't really been trying that hard, and it's still on my mental list).

All my Limbus gear was RNG, All my Dynamis gear was RNG, All my Salvage gear was RNG, all my king gear was RNG, every NM drop was RNG, every BCNM drop was RNG, many Escha drops were RNG. I hated them all at the time, but it's part of the reason I'm still here.

I understand where you're coming from and why you dislike rng, I just have a different outlook on it.
    (0)
    Last edited by Pixela; 12-02-2022 at 10:53 PM.

Character
    Spicyryan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixela View Post
    Why would people who make alliances make them after 5 clears to be able to upgrade af3? Before it was added to a drop to AMAN people would make groups and take randoms into vagary purely so they could get the body. They did it over and over and over again, a lot of the people on Asura with Vagary clears (they have to buy them now) got their clears thanks to this body.

AMAN trover buyers, usually are buying them to get this body, Omen bodies and Shin rare drops.
    Just making up the overall narrative to suit your desires.
    (2)

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    AMAN trove barely qualifies as content, it's just a rare item roulette. While people do do it largely because it has rare items, it really is not something that keeps people playing, as it has no substance., and outside of the current campaign, you can only do it every so often. That being said, there's plenty enough rare items from this one content to keep the ten people who want rare things just because they're rare things happy- especially since they can just keep trying for them to sell them for gil.

There are items I want from Trove because they are useful. But I promise you, if I was thinking about cancelling, AMAN trove would definitely not keep me playing. And I don't do it as often as possible because realistically, I'm just not going to get them without buying them and most of what isn't the equipment drops are just literal trash that I can't even vendor to an NPC.
    Well, there are 21 RoE objectives related to A.M.A.N. Trove (and I think at the time of writing I'm missing some more from the latest Voracious Resurgence missions), which does expand it at least a little content-wise.

Definitely not something that keeps me around though (really only play due to the friends that still play), but I do tend to do the monthly things (while not actually using all of the Silver Vouchers for the time being, and as such, I have more than 400 at the moment, plus over 300 on other characters that I have started to level up to 99 to one day use them up... so in a way Trove does make (some) people do (other) things even if it is not much of content itself).

Funny enough, I don't recall wanting the Tartarus Platemail, ever, but I got it from Trove pretty quick. That's just how it goes of course; if I actually really really wanted it, it would take ages and some!
    (0)
    ...or so the legend says.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6