Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherrywine View Post
    I'd consider the Shinryu HTBF proof that having "rare" gear doesn't increase participation in something or its desirability. The community has rightfully turned its back on that disaster of loot distribution.
    HNM times are dead. Most of us have families/careers/responsibilities that compete with our playtime. Nothing should roll out with microscopic drop rates. If content must be gated, do so like DDyna, where we can only enter it a few times a week. This way, when we do go, it is enjoyable and not a waste of time.
    It is when the game feels like a waste of time that people start to quit.
    No they haven't given up on it, they may do it less but they still do it and still want those drops (also they added most of them to AMAN, so most have them now)

The point of super rare drops is to give super hardcore players something to still keep playing for, I know people that quit within months of getting that super rare drop they always wanted to get. This does happen, and these people would not quit if there was still a super rare drop to chase.

Human nature is what it is.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    For me super rare drops aren't an incentive to keep playing, they're an incentive to ignore whatever has them drop, unless it's something I really truly need, even then I usually just accept that I'm not going to get those things. Time sinks where your success is largely assured even if it takes a really long time are far, far preferable to the possibility that, for instance, you might kill the NM 1000 times and never get the drop and a friend gets it in a few tries.

I vastly prefer grinding for the super weapons to that 0.01% drop that I'm never going to get. You don't need super rare drops to keep people busy.

If you have nothing to do in the game right now, I can list a ton of things you probably haven't done yet. Like gotten every job to ML40 (and later ML50).
    (1)

Player
    All you have to do is look at people buying Aman spheres to see hardcore players REALLY want specific ultra rare items.
    (0)

Character
    Sampi
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixela View Post
    I like this post.
    (1)

Player
    No matter how much someone loves a game, when they have nothing left to work towards they will stop playing.

Adding super rare items works.

A great appeal of ff11 is it's near impossible to run out of things to do, that needs to be kept true. Even for really hardcore players.
    (0)
    Last edited by Pixela; 11-27-2022 at 05:37 AM.

Character
    Spicyryan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinuko View Post
    I like this post.
    It was their best post yet.
    (1)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    QUOTE=Pixela;649235]No matter how much someone loves a game, when they have nothing left to work towards they will stop playing.

Adding super rare items works.

A great appeal of ff11 is it's near impossible to run out of things to do, that needs to be kept true. Even for really hardcore players.[/QUOTE]

Super rare items is a *&#^*$#$y way to do this. Why do you think master level was made such a huge grind. That alone will keep hardcore people busy for some time.

Why did they add another relic-like weapon line? Same reason.

Stuff you can work towards is far more compelling than something based primarily on random chance.
    (0)

Player
    I know XIV players that are quitting because they login and have nothing to work on, I don't want that to be the case for XI.

For XIV I can understand why it's the case, for XI it's a hardcore MMO.

You can do all of the things above, you can have REMA, MLev etc and still add super rare drops from content.

I spammed the ever loving crap out of lilith, then I capped and I haven't done it since. If they added +1 Malignance armor, I would do it again.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I know XIV players that are quitting because they login and have nothing to work on, I don't want that to be the case for XI.
    I don't. Because there is tons for them to work on. There are rare drops in FFXIV. Funny enough, not many people go after them. I guess it just goes to show that rare drops aren't a big lure.

I can list dozens if not hundreds of things that most people haven't done. Here's just a few.
    Earned "The Necromancer" title for clearing 1F-200F of Palace of the Dead solo. Probably more people have cleared ultimate raids than done this.
    Earned the title for clearing 1F-100F of Heaven-on-High solo. More people have done this than the above.
    Cleared all the ultimate raids
    Collected all Orchestrion Rolls, many of which are extremely rare drops or have to jump through annoying hoops to get
    Collected all Triple Triad cards and earned all related achievements
    Completed all relic weapons, anima weapons, and each other expansion's simialr line.
    Defeated Absolute Virtue (not even 1% as hard as it would have been at 75 in FFXI, but is part of content that isn't commonly done anymore)
    Collected hundreds of cosmetic items that are far more rare than anything that has stats on it. I'd think you'd be all over this one
    Won the Cactpot (Rare random chance)
    Collected every hairstyle (rare drops from treasure map instances in particular)
    Collected every emote (many are rare drops from things with other luck factors as well (Treasure map instances like the Exciteatron 2000)
    Collected every mount (many are rare drops from boss fights)
    Collected every minion (many are rare drops from boss fights)

Many of those rare drops can have their odds increased by clearing the related content with the "minimum item level" setting, which dramatically increases the difficulty of the content.

There's literally a gazillion things for people to collect and grind for in FFXIV. If collecting things and getting rare drops are so important to player retention, those people you know have no excuse.

You keep saying things like "i know ppl who want/do this." Well, I know plenty of people who don't. You can't use something like that as justification. It's subjective and based on false pretenses.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 11-27-2022 at 08:39 PM.

Player
    XIV to serious MMORPG players (especially from XI) is like giving a starving man a biscuit.

The main endgame on XIV is buying outfits from the cash shop.
    (1)
    Last edited by Pixela; 11-27-2022 at 10:26 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast