Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Character
    Lilymon
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 1
    There is a psychology behind it, it isn't so simple. They want it to die so they can feel validated in their decision to quit. This happened so many times over this games history since Abyssea. When Abyssea came out and there was a mass exodus (which was not only due to the content itself outdating gear, but also because XIV was coming out and people felt XI was done anyway) so many people across all forums said "XI is dead!" Well, that sentiment continued for every era of this games life. The funny part is most of those people have returned at various points to play again discreetly... Such a shame they dont support the game so we could actually get more expansions and content.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    (which was not only due to the content itself outdating gear, but also because XIV was coming out and people felt XI was done anyway)
    My perspective on abyssea is that it was a power playground, you could become super powerful, but only within these special areas. That was fun and exciting, but then future content that came out had no way of living up to this unless that power could be brought out into the rest of the game. Voidwatch tried to do this by giving you special powers for the duration of special battles, but you can't giveth power, take it away, and come away from that feeling fufilled..
    (0)

Player
    Been playing 11 since 2003. Stopped playing in 2021, , just canceled my sub for the first time three months ago because the game has lost it's charm. I've been in 75 cap linkshells as well on retail.

I played on nearly every 75 era private server because it offers an experience that cannot be replicated in retail anymore due to many reason (such as damage calc changes, new abilities/spells, etc.). I currently am playing on the current big pserver and enjoying my time with many friends who had quit over the years and came back.

It's not a "yearning for youth." There is legitimate communuty differences between how 75 era, abyssea era, and now post rhapsodies era. I enjoy all 3 for what they are, but I will say, there is a charm to 75 cap and slow grind exp that just has no replication in today's game.

The vast vast vast majority of private server enjoyers do not partake because it's "free." I've likely dumped more on unplaying sub months than anyone posting in this thread. They play it because it's an experience that no longer exsists.
    (0)

Character
    Lilymon
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 1
    It does exist if they were to play on retail. Whats the difference in smacking crabs for hours on end vs smacking those SAME crabs on retail for master levels? Theres none. The only thing is that on retail everyone bots, thats an issue that arose from SE not policing their game and the community embracing said cheats. Well, aside from this new pserver, the older ones ALL had PLs outside the party and dont lie to yourself and say they didnt. Literally every single stream I've seen for those have been one or even two power levelers outside each party in the same damn camps. Yes you are yearning for your youth and what you remember, theres is 0 difference between exping on a private server and now. The current master level grind is even LONGER than 1-75 on a p server.
    (2)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I played on nearly every 75 era private server because it offers an experience that cannot be replicated in retail anymore due to many reason
    In my mind that experience cannot be replicated anymore because we've all done it already. They could delete everything after the cap rise and it still wouldn't be the same. We'd eventually run out of reasons to play and need more content. Nostalgia is a pair of rose tinted galsses, and even if you go to a "classic" or private server, it will not be the same as when you did it for the first time. It doesn't have the same thrill or excitement factor as when everything was unknown to you.

This isn't a bad thing. it's just something that happens. But private servers are illegal and circumvent the subscription fee. And quite frankly, I think that's the real reason most people do it.

You can be 75 for as long as you want on retail by simply not doing the limit break quest. There are like minded people to play with, you can get that experience without scamming SE (whether you think they deserve it or not).

The vast vast vast majority of private server enjoyers do not partake because it's "free."
    I very very strongly disagree. If that were the case, they'd at least be honest and keep their sub.

You can not replicate the original experience you got when you did everything for the first time. It's simply not possible, becuase you already have the memory of it. You already know how the game works.

If you thought pounding the same monster for hours on end was the fun part of the game, that's no less doable on retail as it is elsewhere. But the real reason it was fun was the social interaction. Which is also still possible. The Master Level grind is the closest thing the game has had to that in years, and if you want to grind grind grind, simply do it the "legit" way and grind to your heart's content. I fail to see how it's different to grind on apex crabs (example) vs grinding on lesser colibri for merit points like we used to.

The fact that new things do keep happening (even if it may be slowly) here in real Vana'diel is the reason I still play. I can not ever go back to the game being frozen in some past time. And you may not realize this but that's also the reason why WoW Classic and other similar things still re-release the old expansions over time so people don't get bored; making it simply a time warp to X years ago rather than a specific date frozen in time.

there is a charm to 75 cap and slow grind exp that just has no replication in today's game.
    Unless you take the easy way out and pay someone to grind for you, the Master Level grind is slower than the classic level-up experience ever was.
    (2)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 12-29-2022 at 06:18 PM.

Player
    Something anyone playing on a private server needs to keep in mind, and this is something many don't understand.

A group running a private server can never make new content for the game, the only content a private server will get is reworked content the actual developers make. As such, dedicated ps players should want retail to continue as the birth place of new content you may one day get on your server.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    ...Unless you take the easy way out and pay someone to grind for you, the Master Level grind is slower than the classic level-up experience ever was.
    The gameplay is slower. Slow refers to everything not just the rate of experience gain. The game on 80% fastcast 80% haste full time is not at all similar to era experience.
    (0)

Character
    Nitenichi
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Lol they don't care about retail, what makes you think they are going to care about private servers? They didn't do anything for the 20th anniversary and they killed any hopes of alliance play. (Yes I am quite aware of some people that don't want that but what do you say to people in your LS that you have known for years) Either way, it is laughable. Square only cares about 14. The End.
    (2)

I very very strongly disagree. If that were the case, they'd at least be honest and keep their sub.
    That's kind of a reach. When I realize I haven't logged in for quite a while, I cancel my sub until I want to start playing again. I'm not all about throwing money away, and I assume most people are the same.

I've never played on a private server but I sincerely doubt most people play on them just because they're free.

idk because most of the people who refused to move on from those times are the ones hating on current retail.
    Where are you seeing all of these people hating on the official servers? Can you link to somewhere showing this happening?
    (1)
    It's your server.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    The gameplay is slower.
    Even with all the haste etc. it's still slower than most modern games available today.

And is it really slower than 75 era with top end gear? I don't really agree. those SAMs are firing off WS just about as fast as they did back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Catmato
    That's kind of a reach.
    It really isn't. If you cancel your sub, usually its becuase you're not playing the game at all. If you're playing on an illegal private server, you should at least have the decency to keep paying SE as they require to play the game. You can't convince me dodging sub fees isn't at least partial motivation for playing on a private server.

Where are you seeing all of these people hating on the official servers? Can you link to somewhere showing this happening?
    There's literally no reason to be on a private server if you're happy with the live game.
    (0)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast