Character
    Galkashield
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 1

hitboxes can be notoriously difficult to ascertain for monsters with large models

Given that "hitboxes can be notoriously difficult to ascertain for monsters with large models" as mentioned in Matsui's update (https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/59681) :

Can we fix Beastmaster's distance nerf?

Since the answer is already No, can Beastmaster be allowed to provide buffs to the party?
    (2)
    Last edited by Gwydion; 07-05-2022 at 12:50 AM.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Not that I disagree with the message (i.e. the BST stuff was absolutely dumb), but that's some pretty sketchy logic there. You and I both know that hitboxes have nothing to do with why BST was nerfed lol....
    (1)

Character
    Lordtrey
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    What was nerfed?
    (0)
    -LordTrey
    Asura

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by LordTrey View Post
    What was nerfed?
    You haven't heard about the great BST nerf?

Quite a few years ago SE decided to limit the range of BST pet commands to essentially melee range. You haVe to be standing next to it to issue commands. This was done to promote their design philosophy of the job and discourage mass BST strategies. While SMN and PUP can still do this, the argument is SMN is a back line job (and PUP is designed to be either depending on the circumstances) and thus its appropriate for them to be controlling the pet from a distance, while BST was designed as a front-line job that fights alongside the pet, despite BST having little in the way of traits or other incentives to help with standing in harm's way.

The problem is the command range is SO short that with larger pets and enemies, you have to be essentially touching your pet to issue commands- standing on opposite sides or even 90 degrees from your pet can put you too far away to issue attack orders etc. meaning you need to constantly move back and forth to avoid directionals or otherwisei put yourself in the line of fire just to make your pet use a TP move, which made the job a lot more frustrating to play with very little payoff for the risk.

Traits were later added which increase accuracy of pet and master and decrease TP given to the monster by both pet and master when both are attacking the same target. But that's a pretty minor benefit to being forced to play the way SE apparently intended.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 07-06-2022 at 02:05 PM.

Character
    Galkashield
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    Not that I disagree with the message (i.e. the BST stuff was absolutely dumb), but that's some pretty sketchy logic there. You and I both know that hitboxes have nothing to do with why BST was nerfed lol....

You are correct, but SE acknowledging the disparity in large mob's hit boxes is exactly why Ready moves don't exactly activate from 7 talks consistently.
    (0)

Character
    Lordtrey
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    I was on a multi-year break, so many things went by in 8 years and i never knew they rose up or were nerfed.

So i see, one of the many pointless "advances" made whilst i wasn't party to them occuring. I will take the blame. You need one more person to bitch and it woulda been fixed, I claim that spot. Sorry about that.

SE pls fix this. Its dumb.
    (0)
    Last edited by LordTrey; 07-07-2022 at 09:11 PM.
    -LordTrey
    Asura