Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Player

A sub is part of the reason XI is still so successfull

FFXI still has a lot of people paying to play it (every player is a customer), compared to the rest of the market. A 20 year old game with more paying players than many brand new mmorpgs that don't even have a subscription (and in some cases vs completely free games). New world, bless, elyon are examples.

Why is a sub so good for XI.

Firstly from a developer standpoint it maintains a producer > customer perspective, cause we are paying monthly to play the content developers create. Free to play always leads developers into no longer feeling they have to provide a service, which kills motivation to keep making it. Long term, free play kills games from a developer standpoint (even if they make more money short term). I've played plenty of sub games that went free to play, it has always been the ruination of the games over time.

Secondly, a sub tells your audience that you value and still think this is worth it. You're demanding people accept the value in your product, it just works. "yes it's $12 a month, what of it?"

Thirdly, there is more of a relationship between dev and player. I directly feel I'm supporting the developers to make new content than I do when I buy stuff from f2p games. I know my money goes to pay their wages and so I'm far more willing to do it, it's more of a supportive system for people who like the games.

---

Thoughts on lowering the sub / XIV joint sub

Offering a lower sub to XIV players:

This would be a really bad idea. Firstly you are setting up a position where you are showing favoritism to one group over another and setting up XIV players as the enemy in your players minds even more than is already the case. The "favored son" if you will. Secondly you're showing less value for people who may have been paying for 20 years, or that pay for multiple XI accounts.

You will be creating bad feeling, where it does not need to exist. Some will quit over this, on principle. I possibly would be one of them, so even if you do bring in some new players....you'll lose others over it. Bad business.

If you want to offer incentive to XIV players, there are better ways. For instance, allow an active XIV player to buy the game for $10 all year around and offer them one months free sub with the purchase. Possibly other things such as XI exclusive minions or cosmetics (since XI was merged with XIV productions and they make all the money from XI anyway, they can afford to make XI themed cosmetics to encourage their players to play both). XIV has a financial incentive to make people play both, XI does not.
    (5)

Character
    Spicyryan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Combining subs was already addressed in the reddit AMA.
    (1)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Dunno why you're making a new thread about this.

Offering a combination discount would be good for the game as it will attract some players who might not have considered subscribing otherwise- If those players wouldn't have subscribed to FFXI, then it's still a gain in income over them not subscribing.. No one ever said anything about entirely merging the sub with FFXIV, or permanently changing the price for everyone. No one ever said anything like that.

SE has already communicated their feelings on this and we've already beaten this to death multiple times over.

Companies offer sales and promotional discounts all the time to attract new customers. You really have no grasp of how promotions work if you think a special discount for owning and playing both games would be bad.n I really don't understand why you've been speaking out more passionately about this subject than anything else. There is really just no downside to this idea.

Worst case: No one takes them up on the offer, wasting the time and effort of implementation.

Neutral case: Few FFXI players gained and the promotion has little impact; or FFXIV sees a larger gain from the promotion than FFXI. Not ideal but SE still gained $$, so it had an effect
    Best case: Both games see some additional players. SE makes more money from subs added from players who would not have otherwise subscribed to the other game.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 06-23-2022 at 03:02 AM.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Sp1cyryan View Post
    Combining subs was already addressed in the reddit AMA.
    It's a really stupid idea, and I don't think they understand why.

If they actually do it, I think they will end up losing far more players in the long run.
    (1)

Character
    Spicyryan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixela View Post
    It's a really stupid idea, and I don't think they understand why.

If they actually do it, I think they will end up losing far more players in the long run.
    So I personally think most XIV players are undesirable as XI players. I partly think their migration over during certain events such as the free campaign or the 20th anniversary cross marketing push are a detriment to the social fabric of the community.

However, I do know that there is no other alternative to the longevity of FFXI than the inclusion of these people. Let's call them the unicorn blood upon which Voldermort XI shall cling to life with in the dark forest of SEs neglect. It is a life, but a cursed one at that.
    (0)

Player
    I like FFXIV players coming to XI, I just don't want them to pay less than I do when I pay for 6 accounts and they will effectively be paying for 2.
    (1)

Character
    Spicyryan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    I like FFXIV players coming to XI, I just don't want them to pay less than I do when I pay for 6 accounts and they will effectively be paying for 2.
    What's wrong with that? It's part of a bundle in this case.
    (0)

Player
    People don't like to be treated unfairly.

I don't mind paying $12 for XI x6, but I will very quickly start to mind it if someone else is getting it for $6.

XI is mainly made up for long time customers, the last thing you want is to show favoritism and annoy them.
    (1)

Character
    Spicyryan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    People don't like to be treated unfairly.

I don't mind paying $12 for XI x6, but I will very quickly start to mind it if someone else is getting it for $6.

XI is mainly made up for long time customers, the last thing you want is to show favoritism and annoy them.
    What numbers are these?

Once again a bundle isn't favoritism. Last I recall it was $7 a month instead of $12.95, and was to reduce the price of XI only. Saving 5.95 during a limited promotional period for paying for two games at once with no discount on the other isn't favoritism. Do you want to pay more overall to be "fairly" treated?
    (0)

Player
    If they do this I'm quitting, and if one person feels this way so do others.

I'm paying 6 subs and multiple mules, if someone gets a special price for paying 2 subs I want one too for paying 6. Everyone should be treated the same.

There is zero difference between paying 2 subs for XI and 1 sub for each game, all the money goes to the same place anyway. These are not separate games anymore.

Also to be clear, it's not about the money. It's about being disrespectful to 20 year veteran players and giving new players a better deal. No.
    (1)
    Last edited by Pixela; 06-24-2022 at 08:09 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast