Player

Over the past few weeks, lots of people have been using assist on Asura

A lot of new and returning players came to XI over the past few weeks, they have been using /ae a lot. It not only allows players to get help (not only from mentors but people send them tells), but also acts as a kind of community channel where they can talk to each other and feel welcome.

The problem is, the duration they are allowed to use it is way too short.

Can you double or even quadruple the current duration new and returning players are allowed to use the /ae channels?

I know this is mainly an Asura thing since barely anyone uses it elsewhere, but to be frank Asura as the biggest server is the money maker of this game and the main first stop for many new/returning players.

It's so sad to see someone using the /ae chanel and being nice and asking questions, then see them a week later with no ls just standing around and not sure what to do next.
    (1)

Character
    Spicyryan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixela View Post
    A lot of new and returning players came to XI over the past few weeks, they have been using /ae a lot. It not only allows players to get help (not only from mentors but people send them tells), but also acts as a kind of community channel where they can talk to each other and feel welcome.

The problem is, the duration they are allowed to use it is way too short.

Can you double or even quadruple the current duration new and returning players are allowed to use the /ae channels?

I know this is mainly an Asura thing since barely anyone uses it elsewhere, but to be frank Asura as the biggest server is the money maker of this game and the main first stop for many new/returning players.

It's so sad to see someone using the /ae chanel and being nice and asking questions, then see them a week later with no ls just standing around and not sure what to do next.
    AE is quiet now that the free campaign is over. Players not having a pearl a week later is their fault. Use the concierge. AE isn't going to just tell players what to do every week. That is also the responsibility of the player. I mean they are called adventurers in game, so go adventure.

AE is a metaphorical waste bin. People just mute people they don't like over and over. Shouldn't even have the ability to do that.
    (0)

Player
    ae it perfectly fine, it is a wonderful addition they just do need to extend it so people can find their feet. 40 hour isn't enough.

The mute thing is more of a you thing than an ae thing, you annoyed way too many people in the game over the years.
    (1)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sp1cyryan View Post
    AE is quiet now that the free campaign is over. Players not having a pearl a week later is their fault. Use the concierge. AE isn't going to just tell players what to do every week. That is also the responsibility of the player. I mean they are called adventurers in game, so go adventure.

AE is a metaphorical waste bin. People just mute people they don't like over and over. Shouldn't even have the ability to do that.
    The Novice Network, which the assist channel was based upon, allows Mentors to temporarily kick sprouts and each other (30 mins for sprouts, 3 hours for other mentors), and abusing this feature when it clearly not warranted is punishable.
    It really isn't that bad of a problem (once in a while, there's a kick war of people kicking people for kicking other people, but it really isnt that often)- and FFXIV keeps new players in the Network much longer than FFXI does. I really dont know why they made it so short. in FFXIV, players are consiidered "new" until they finish most of the main story and have a cumulatove total of 168 hours of play time (1 week of playing nonstop).

In FFXI's assist channel, players keep access for what.... a few days? And I'm not even sure how long the New Adventurer status lasts if you don't specifically disable it. Returning players only get access for 48 hours, which is ridiculously short.

Frankly I think part of the reason the assist channel is not widely used is because no one is allowed to be in it long enough for anything to happen.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 06-04-2022 at 11:30 AM.

Player
    I think the problem is, the chat channel has a cap of 64? people that are allowed to be active on it and that is why it's so short.

However an easy fix for this would be to just make a 3rd assist channel that appears identical (same chat filter) to the first purely for mentors. This way you can have more new players in the assist channel, and it appears as though nothing has changed.

1 = all new and returning players (cap of 64)
    2 = Jp (cap of 64)
    3 = English speaking mentors (cap of 64, that are no longer eating into the cap of 1)

Another potential fix would be to have a system where if the new/returning player has made progress on their character (a level up or a merit / job point addition) the assist access is extended. This stops mules being allowed access for too long, that currently eat into the cap.
    (0)
    Last edited by Pixela; 06-04-2022 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    Frankly I think part of the reason the assist channel is not widely used is because no one is allowed to be in it long enough for anything to happen.
    That's part of it, but I feel the biggest barriers are the rate limit and the inability to use it outside of town.

I think the problem is, the chat channel has a cap of 64? people that are allowed to be active on it and that is why it's so short.

However an easy fix for this would be to just make a 3rd assist channel that appears identical (same chat filter) to the first purely for mentors. This way you can have more new players in the assist channel, and it appears as though nothing has changed.

1 = all new and returning players (cap of 64)
    2 = Jp (cap of 64)
    3 = English speaking mentors (cap of 64, that are no longer eating into the cap of 1)

Another potential fix would be to have a system where if the new/returning player has made progress on their character (a level up or a merit / job point addition) the assist access is extended. This stops mules being allowed access for too long, that currently eat into the cap.
    I had no idea there was a cap. Where is this cap referenced?
    (0)
    It's your server.

Player
    Nowhere, it's an assumption based on other similar systems such as unity. I can't think of any other reason they would have it run out so fast.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I had no idea there was a cap. Where is this cap referenced?
    Much like FFXIV, it was based on an existing chat system.

In FFXIV though, it's basically a global free company, which has a maximum of 512 members. Of those, 100 are allowed to be mentors and the remainder are reserved for sprouts.
    (0)

Character
    Spicyryan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    you annoyed way too many people in the game over the years.
    Not enough people.
    (0)