Character
    Naxes
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99

XInput not working when wireless (Xbox One Controller) - Only FF 11 impacted

Platform: Windows 11
    ISP: Comcast/Xfinity
    Type of Internet Connection: Cable
    Internet Connection Speed: 1.2 Gbps
    Date & Time:May. 26, 2022 21:00 EST
    Frequency: Always
    Character Name: Akel
    Race: Hume M
    World: Sylph
    Main Job: Warrior, Lv.99
    Support Job: Ninja
    Area and Coordinates: N/A
    Party or Solo: N/A
    NPC Name: N/A
    Monster Name: N/A

Steps:
    Once leaving PlayOnline Viewer and FFXI starts, controller is not responsive

Going into FFXI Config and selecting Test Controller, the following issues are present:
    - Both analog sticks are reversed (up is down, right is left)
    - The d-pad does not function at all
    - The left and right triggers (LT and RT) act as dpad left and right
    - Only the 4 main buttons are responsive (A, B, X, Y) and they are in the wrong order
    such as if you press "B" to map to the cancel button it will display "Y" when pressed
    - Deleted and reinstalled controller drivers
    - Deleted and reinstalled Xbox accessories software
    - Reinstalled bluetooth drivers
    - Updated chipset drivers
    - Updated firmware of controller
    - Deleted xinputdll.dll file from XI & ToolsUS directories and performed a Check Files to
    have them reinstalled
    - Clean installed Windows 11
    - Installed POL and FF11 fresh on a clean Windows install - Problem still persists

No issues with any other software, controller works properly everywhere EXCEPT
    Final Fantasy XI

Controller works as intended wired, but all of these issues happen when using over bluetooth/wirelessly
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    As I recall this is a really old issue; but I think there's a workaround. I'll see if I can find it for you.

Just a check: Do you have any other controllers connected? I've heard having multiple controllers can cause an issue like this.

I've never even tried to play FFXI with a controller but I"m reviewing one for some company in the near future so I'll see if it happens for me as well.
    (0)

Character
    Naxes
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    Thanks for the response, and looking into it.

I've scoured the internet for hours and have found 3 different workarounds, however none of them work 100%. The best workaround disabling xinput takes away some of the buttons, making it playable but frustrating. I posted because from what I've seen this was resolved or patched back in 2016 but was worried an update might have broken the fix. /shrug.
    (0)

Character
    Naxes
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    Found the issue, it's a Microsoft firmware update to the controller which causes it to break. Downgrading the firmware resolves the issue. Leaving this here as a bug in hopes that SE devs make an update to accommodate the latest firmware. This issue exists with FFXIV & Kingdom Hearts through Epic Games store as well.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleNaxey View Post
    Found the issue, it's a Microsoft firmware update to the controller which causes it to break. Downgrading the firmware resolves the issue. Leaving this here as a bug in hopes that SE devs make an update to accommodate the latest firmware. This issue exists with FFXIV & Kingdom Hearts through Epic Games store as well.
    Ah yes, I remember reading about this. I think it's for a similar reason that Sony finally allowed people to update PS5 controllers on their PC.
    (0)

Character
    Hamchook
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    I just resubbed to FFXI and I am having this issue as well, although both my Xbox one and Xbox series X controllers are completely unresponsive, all except the rumble during the vibration test, no buttons, triggers, dpad or analog sticks work, and only XI is having this issue.
    I see you found a solution on downgrading the firmware, but I am not entirely sure how to do that
    (0)
    Dance the dance of death.

Onii born on Kujata, ventured to Valefor.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Well the controller I was sent for review is wired only and it seems like this issue is specific to wireless controllers. So I guess I can't be much help here.
    (0)