Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Character
    Spicyryan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    "Not the real issue" doesn't mean it's not in any way harmful. Because it is and it should be revisited. And again, it's not just about BLM.
    BLM is the most important consideration in this. The rest don't exist for the sake of this argument.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sp1cyryan View Post
    BLM is the most important consideration in this. The rest don't exist for the sake of this argument.
    This issue also refers to the BP wall which is basically the same thing. And technically, the nuke wall affects anyone that can cast elemental magic. The main issue with the BP wall is it was aimed at limiting the power of Astral Conduit in content we would call "relevant." The problem is it's basically a giant sledgehammer that hits all kinds of other things as well, even the more basic Apogee, or multiple summoners just using their abilities in a normal fashion.

Now yes, I understand you're likely on the high end of serious players and would probably never do anything that isn't perfectly optimal in the first place. But not all of us are optimal, and artificial limitations like this discourage exploration and experimentation, which is exactly how we find and discover optimal strategies for content. And just because you wouldn't do something doesn't mean other people don't try it, not even knowing about this issue.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 05-26-2022 at 05:00 AM.

Character
    Spicyryan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    This issue also refers to the BP wall which is basically the same thing. And technically, the nuke wall affects anyone that can cast elemental magic. The main issue with the BP wall is it was aimed at limiting the power of Astral Conduit in content we would call "relevant." The problem is it's basically a giant sledgehammer that hits all kinds of other things as well, even the more basic Apogee, or multiple summoners just using their abilities in a normal fashion.
    Why are you conflating the nuking wall with a "BP Wall"? As the successive elemental magic penalty, or "nuke wall", is a real thing, and the "BP wall" is not. That is just needlessly confusing. Further, please provide an example of a pertinent situation a SMN is hindered by this in. As I don't want to walk you into one.

Now yes, I understand you're likely on the high end of serious players and would probably never do anything that isn't perfectly optimal in the first place. But not all of us are optimal, and artificial limitations like this discourage exploration and experimentation, which is exactly how we find and discover optimal strategies for content. And just because you wouldn't do something doesn't mean other people don't try it, not even knowing about this issue.
    Is this lowbrow condescending cordiality why people don't enjoy engaging with you?
    (1)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Why are you conflating the nuking wall with a "BP Wall"? As the successive elemental magic penalty, or "nuke wall", is a real thing, and the "BP wall" is not.
    It's not confusing at all, they are both artifical nerfs to specific jobs/roles to limit the power of certain actions/behaviors, i.e. spamming summoners, or black mages, or whatever else. They both artifically alter the normal behavior of BPs and nuking respectively to dramatically alter damage dealt in whatever conditions SE deems inappropriate.

Is this lowbrow condescending cordiality why people don't enjoy engaging with you?
    Well, I certainly don't expect elitists to enjoy engaging with me, because I dislike elitism. But this was specifically about you, it isn't routine behavior. I get this impression out of you that you feel like everyone should listen to you just because you've made lots of pages on a wiki or done this or that thing in the game. I'm certainly open, however, to hearing why I shouldn't have this impression of you.

I often try unconventional strategies and tend to like the least popular jobs the most. I was all over PUP when it came out despite everyone insisting how bad it was. I played summoner as a Galka despite everyone saying how bad that was. I made a Claustrum and melee build and have had tons of fun doing all kinds of content with it despite everyone hating on me for it. It is because I have routinely gotten so much crap from the elite in a game that allows so much freedom to choose, that I have historically had much resentment for those most elite players, and also BG in particular.

I also resent you for your equally "lowbrow" retort towards me implying people in general don't like engaging with me, which simply isn't true, particularly outside of this forum. There are a handful of people here I don't get along with, and plenty of others with which I do. I'd be happy to reconcile - I don't purposely burn bridges - if you believe my impression of you is inaccurate. I'm really not unreasonable.

Conversely...

The reality is I'm largely picked on because I have a high post count and sometimes have unpopular opinions. I can certainly understand the latter, the former has never made sense to me. I've never claimed that my posts should have more meaning or are better or anything else because of how many times I've posted, so I don't understand why that statistic has any meaning to anyone.

In the past I've also been accused of being a debbie downer and disagreeing with every suggestion just for the sake of it, despite the fact that it both isn't really true in the first place, and how in recent days, it certainly seems like a lot of the community has a more negative outlook on things than I do.

this "lowbrow condescending cordiality" is not a pattern of behavior, I can assure you.

Further, please provide an example of a pertinent situation a SMN is hindered by this in. As I don't want to walk you into one.
    I mean, isn't this common knowledge? Didn't you write a significant portion of BG Wiki? Why do you need me to tell you? I apologize in advance if this sounds "condecending" or something, but I legitimately don't understand. And what's your definition of a "pertinent situation" in this context?

https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/t...Astral-Conduit
    Can we please get a replacement for Astral Conduit?

I know more than a few career summoners are going to say "no, my Astral Conduit, I need it to be good", and I get it. It's a really strong job ability. Too strong. So much so that measures are being taken to reduce its effectiveness, which instead reduce the effectiveness of the entire job. That has to stop.

There's already content where you can't use Apogee, have to worry about your blood pact delay, and can't take a second summoner in no matter how useful it would be, because that's the quick fix for making Astral Conduit less overpowered.
    Certain contents impose special restrictions on the same BP being used multiple times on a target within a certain amount of time, which is aimed at limiting Astral Conduit in those contents, but can easily affect the job outside of AC as well.

Maybe I'm fundamentally understanding something here, but the nuke wall as far I understand was implemented for the same basic reason of limiting a specific tactic from caster jobs which also had unintended consequences. And it was the OP of this thread who lumped the BP wall and nuke wall together into the same topic, but you only seem to be adressing me.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 05-26-2022 at 02:47 PM.

it isn't routine behavior
    lol

(1)
    It's your server.

Character
    Spicyryan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Catmato View Post
    lol

Lol, it absolutely is so routine! It is absolutely outstanding.

The entire response is so removed from how things are that there can't possibly be a healthy discussion with it. Blaming a post count as a source of friction is utterly flabbergasting.
    (1)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sp1cyryan View Post
    Lol, it absolutely is so routine! It is absolutely outstanding.

The entire response is so removed from how things are that there can't possibly be a healthy discussion with it.
    I'm sorry the two of you feel that way, but it's simply not true.

There absolutely can be healthy discussions if you reply in a respectful manner. You've been aggressive in replying to me from the beginning. What do you really expect me to say? This feels more like an excuse not to address legitimate statements than an honest reply.

I'm being entirely honest with you, if you are honest with me, the discussion can absolutely be healthy. But it seems like whenever I ask you the hard questions, you cop out with "this can't be a healthy discussion."

Blaming a post count as a source of friction is utterly flabbergasting
    It has actually been cited by others. There have been numerous complaints just about the fact that I post a lot. It makes no sense to me but it's a fact and you can find people saying things to this effect if you look.

I can spend hours digging through this forum to find all kinds of examples of positive contributions, being friendly to others, etc. etc. etc. You are making accusations to the contrary, If I really have to, I'll go to length to prove that you're not correct in your opinion. But I really shouldn't have to do that.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 05-27-2022 at 02:20 AM.

Character
    Voidstorm
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    A Melee party can have the Tank, DDs, Supports, & Healer all smacking away w/ no penalty to speak of.
    A mage party can have one mage nuke away w/o penalty. Once you bring any 2nd mage into the equation, you're penalized.
    A SMN party can't even have the one SMN apogee w/o penalty.

Example of a mage party: RUN NIN BLM RDM SCH GEO. Every member can magic burst, yet only one is allowed to.
    (1)
    Last edited by Voidstorm; 06-02-2022 at 03:11 AM.

Character
    Spicyryan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidstorm View Post
    A Melee party can have the Tank, DDs, Supports, & Healer all smacking away w/ no penalty to speak of.
    A mage party can have one mage nuke away w/o penalty. Once you bring any 2nd mage into the equation, you're penalized.
    A SMN party can't even have the one SMN apogee w/o penalty.

Example of a mage party: RUN NIN BLM RDM SCH GEO. Every member can magic burst, yet only one is allowed to.
    Except NIN can nuke with the mages without nerfing their damage. The RDM should also be more focused on SCing with that NIN as well. Rather than MBing as it be a subpar choice to burst. The NIN can abuse hybrids and/or create lvl4 SCs in this case.

Other good jobs to replace the NIN or SCH with include BST, WAR, or SAM. Magical WS like Cloudsplitter and Primal Rend do great damage in these setups. A BLM should have TP to participate in a step of the SC from OA across the subsequent steps they burst. For instance Tachi: Jinpu to Cataclysm (also great damage in this setup) or Blade: Ei closes Gravitation.

So the issue IMO is more that players sit back and expect a SCH to just make SCs while they all burst at the same time. Instead of taking advantage of the tools available players try to make MBing into the magical equivalent of Naegling SB spam.

While a situation like Ongo V20 with it's AoE damage, stun, para, and dispels isn't conducive to such a strategy. Players still don't engage in strategy even when it is viable or would destroy an NM. You can destroy divergence mobs this way for example. Magical WS don't pull much in the way of hate so you don't have to worry about pulling an orc's attention off the tank and getting countered to death.

This is also a viable way to take advantage NIN's subtle blow or a build in general for something somewhat annoying like Halphas. SB also applies to magical damage, and Monk's roll alone will cap your SB I as a secondary roll. Since other secondary rolls tend to be mediocre for magic use.

At any rate, there are generally multiple elements viable to burst in a SC. Which again excludes exceptions like Ongo, but even there the wall is only a somewhat minor inconvenience for the SCH instead of an actual problem that should be patched out of existence. So, if darkness is usedbthen the BLM with Comet and Death shouldn't really be getting in the way of the SCH with ice. Three BLMs can nuke water, ice, and dark in Divergence on the NMs. Even then stacking -ja potency is potentially valuable. Yes, I know comet overwrites other -jas, but there is a lot of generalization required for this post.

If anything I would like to see the cumulative elemental penalty for only -ja magic reduced or removed. There is only one, it is weaker than T6s, and the recast isn't great.

TL;DR: The nuke wall is there to prevent players from abusing smooth brain strategy. It was first created to stop 18 BLMs instant ending content with a time nuke. It doesn't matter if that is less relevant today as the desired result is still. I'd rather see the nuke wall keep players from abusing a send command on all their mules from the safety of the backline or just being thoughtless in general. Rather the wall encourages more interaction and better players than otherwise. It also encourages the use of a RUN. BLM as a job needs other adjustments which are not related to the wall at all. Keep the penalty in place.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Except NIN can nuke with the mages without nerfing their damage. The RDM should also be more focused on SCing with that NIN as well. Rather than MBing as it be a subpar choice to burst. The NIN can abuse hybrids and/or create lvl4 SCs in this case.
    I remind you that not everyone is concerned with, knows, or cares what is optimal. Even if something isn't optimal, it should work the way the player expects it to work. Being "sub-optimal" isn't an excuse for something to have special nerfs associated with it, and in fact it's even more of a reason to change it.

Yes, I know my SCs+bursts with myself playing SMN Mlv14/SAM51 solo with Claustrum aren't optimal. I really, really don't care what the top end of the community considers optimal (I'm going to min max Gate of Tartarus and there's nothing you can do about it). But I'm still being indirectly harmed by a custom, special nerf designed to thwart a totally different tactic. That's the point here- special rules that exist to discourage one strategy the devs don't personally like really shouldn't be a thing. And there are more of those that aren't really related to these "walls". (If anything, I'm probably doing it *because* the community doesn't consider it optimal)

BST didn't need command range reduced to "physical contact with the pet"- there's a million other ways they could have addressed that. BLM doesn't need a special restriction like this, and neither does SMN. Both can have their cheese tactics addressed without harming the normal functions of the job as used by someone not doing those tactics.
    (1)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 06-03-2022 at 02:20 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast