Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    That is just how it is.
    It absolutely is telling people not to do it. If your intro to a peice of content in the game says "it's not popular and nobody does it," that stacks the deck against anyone else doing it. It's not something that needs to be said. It is biased against the content and discourages people from trying it.

A wiki article about a game feature should not be judging its merits. It should be simply presenting the details of the content and letting people make their own decisions. If something is unpopular, people can tell that pretty easily based on the details of it and coming to the conclusion themselves they don't want to do it because it doesn't seem interesting. That's called making decisions for oneself. This article effectively makes the decision for them.

Compare this to the FFXIclopedia article, which contains all the same information but not the jabs at its popularity. That by itself makes it a better quality article as it isn't prejuding the content for you, it's merely presenting the avialable information and letting the reader form their own opinion. It's things like this that get in the way of them improving their reputation. (side note, BG doesn't even have the correct area name for Diorama Abdhaljs-Ghelsba (whose page is also mostly blank), while FFXIclopedia has a complete page about the zone. Tell you what, I'll go ahead and make an account to rectify these deficiencies. Don't let it be said that people complain about these things but never do anything about them )

Sp1cyryan is one of the leading editors of BGwiki, if he quit today we would all be worse off for it.
    Based on his response to the above discussion, I can not agree with this statement, as he is advocating a biased writing practice.

And even if he quit today, BG would still exist, and the other resources out there would still exist, people would still disseminate information. If he quits, someone else will step up to the plate, it's that simple.
    (2)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 05-21-2022 at 10:51 AM.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sp1cyryan View Post
    So we are all in agreement on the importance of this secondary AMA then, right?
    perhaps it's important to you, for some twisted reason, but that doesn't make it broadly important to everyone. You may be a significant wiki contributor, but facts like that do not mean you represent the playerbase.

Quote Originally Posted by Catmato
    Something. Anything. Maybe an announcement of new content, new gear, some kind of news beyond "here's when you can expect these things you already knew about".

They DID announce new content. They DID announce new gear. Are you really saying becuase there were teases before that it doesn't count as new content, even though it's not out yet?

Teased in the last TVR update.
    I guess you are. But sorry, you're wrong. We don't have this content yet, we don't have these weapons yet, therefore it's new content. Vaguely referring to it in the past ("teasing") does not make the content suddenly not new, because we don't have it yet.

Do you, or do you not believe that many other people feel the same way I do?
    I don't. That's why the word "if" is in there. I believe you're embellishing the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixela
    Also, some in this community who are the most vocal are also sometimes more important than just another subscriber.
    Every single player of this game is important both to the community and to the game's continued existence. Some particular individual person being vocal about their own personal opinion is not particularly more important than anyone else just because they're doing that.

Look at me, I'm pretty vocal. Do I think I'm more important than anyone else? No. We all have a role to play in the game community.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 05-21-2022 at 01:19 PM.

Character
    Spicyryan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    It absolutely is telling people not to do it. If your intro to a peice of content in the game says "it's not popular and nobody does it," that stacks the deck against anyone else doing it. It's not something that needs to be said. It is biased against the content and discourages people from trying it.

A wiki article about a game feature should not be judging its merits. It should be simply presenting the details of the content and letting people make their own decisions. If something is unpopular, people can tell that pretty easily based on the details of it and coming to the conclusion themselves they don't want to do it because it doesn't seem interesting. That's called making decisions for oneself. This article effectively makes the decision for them.

Compare this to the FFXIclopedia article, which contains all the same information but not the jabs at its popularity. That by itself makes it a better quality article as it isn't prejuding the content for you, it's merely presenting the avialable information and letting the reader form their own opinion. It's things like this that get in the way of them improving their reputation. (side note, BG doesn't even have the correct area name for Diorama Abdhaljs-Ghelsba (whose page is also mostly blank), while FFXIclopedia has a complete page about the zone. Tell you what, I'll go ahead and make an account to rectify these deficiencies. Don't let it be said that people complain about these things but never do anything about them )

Based on his response to the above discussion, I can not agree with this statement, as he is advocating a biased writing practice.

And even if he quit today, BG would still exist, and the other resources out there would still exist, people would still disseminate information. If he quits, someone else will step up to the plate, it's that simple.
    Our understandings are so far removed that we can't have a meaningful discussion on this, at least not here. So you can just think what you like on this.

perhaps it's important to you, for some twisted reason, but that doesn't make it broadly important to everyone. You may be a significant wiki contributor, but facts like that do not mean you represent the playerbase.
    If I could suggest, observational skills are of value.

Probably for the best though that you just hang out here. It is going to be a good time if enough leg work goes into it.

Look at me, I'm pretty vocal. Do I think I'm more important than anyone else? No. We all have a role to play in the game community.
    Lol.
    (1)
    Last edited by Sp1cyryan; 05-21-2022 at 11:52 AM.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sp1cyryan View Post
    Our understandings are so far removed that we can't have a meaningful discussion on this, at least not here. So you can just think what you like on this.

If I could suggest, observational skills are of value.

Probably for the best though that you just hang out here. It is going to be a good time if enough leg work goes into it.

Lol.
    We could possibly have a meaningful discussion, it's just you don't seem to be interested. The rest of your post is evidence enough of that.

At any rate, I of course intend to view the official AMA. There's enough silliness outside of parodies like yours to keep me plenty occupied if the need arises. I don't expect to be wowed by it, but I'm also not cynical enough to join in with a parody party of overtly-disgruntled players.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Well for me, because of that quote "we're going to focus our development and operations on a long-term goal of the twentieth anniversary", I expected something timed specifically to the 20th anniversary. I cannot assume he was talking about TVR or master levels or new weapons or empy+3 armor, none of those things happened on the 20th anniversary. And none of them seem very anniversary-related, they seem like regular content updates that are only interesting to current endgame players.
    the *announcement* was tied to the anniversary. And it's not like there wasn't an event at all in associatation with it. Aside from the usual campaigns, there was also a minigame event, the producer message, the new title music (which is honestly really nice imo), and the Yoshida interview on WE ARE VANA'DIEL, as well as the extension of its game history timeline.

I agree it's not too dramatic, but I'm seeing all this expectation of things they never hinted at or promised. They didn't say anything wild was going to happen, like a giant moon falling from the sky, or whatever other dramatic event you could imagine.
    (1)

Character
    Spicyryan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    AMA thread will be posted by 19:00 EDT (23:00 UTC) today in r/FinalFantasy11 for questions to be answered. 21:30 EDT begins the start of questions being answered. Until 23:00 EDT.

Feel free to simultaneously address posts to u/FFXI_DevTeam
    (1)

Character
    Spicyryan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Annnnd here we go: https://www.reddit.com/r/finalfantas...developer_ama/

Ask the hard questions in the AMA, see if you get any answers, and then maybe I'd support this if they aren't good.
    So do you support it now?

I will leave the parody AMA open for a few days or so.
    (1)
    Last edited by Sp1cyryan; 05-24-2022 at 12:56 PM.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    So do you support it now?
    The actual AMA wasn't amazing or anything (too much "we can't" and not enough "we'll look into it"), but it was better than I could have expectations for, as they addressed things I honestly didn't expect them to.
    (1)

Character
    Spicyryan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    The actual AMA wasn't amazing or anything (too much "we can't" and not enough "we'll look into it"), but it was better than I could have expectations for, as they addressed things I honestly didn't expect them to.
    Basically then no matter what the outcome you "maybe" weren't going to ever support it?
    (1)

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    Will we ever see the thing posted here, I wonder. (I don't like going to reddit.)
    (0)
    ...or so the legend says.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast