Thread: To new players!

Character
    Yakana
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99

Welcome new players and returners!

Sup! As of the day of writing this message, we're now bumping with our game's 20th anniversary! Welcome to FFXI, or merry return!

The first boss, installing the game, here's a guide for it:
    Here's a legit guide to help getting started. (Helped me a lot.) That has been edited and updated often across the years!
    If you're still confused once at 99, do some story, they're great and rewarding. Don't be frustrated, this game is a bit more slow pace, accomplishing something is sweat but every step reward. The best way to say it: Completing the story unlocks the game.

If you look for gear at 99 or are in a returner looking to jump back into the where you left off, this is guide is a step in the right direction, once 99 of course!
    Official forums, while alive, ain't the greatest source of interaction between players. It's nice to come by, and check out the updates and for different reasons, however. Here's some useful places worth looking at:
    • Very good Fandom page with mix of new and old that can help you unblock on your journey.
      FFXIclopedia
    • Blue Gartr wiki. Very similar to the Fandom, will help you unblock on your journey.
      BG-wiki
    • Community's Reddit that is more active, generally.
      FFXI Reddit
    • Vana'diel time, weather, moon phase. (I don't know any other site personally, this does the job!)
      FFXI Time Information

Q&A:

Q: What server should I go to?
    A: Every server are good. Being honest, Asura is the most populated one, but Asura is also considered "overpopulated". You will make friends regardless where you go, but some decently populated servers on the fly that are not overly crowded: Ragnarok, Fenrir, Phoenix, Bahamuth. Again, any server is fine.

Q: Where to NA/EU players play at?
    A: FFXI servers are global, means you will have a mix of Japanese and English everywhere. Asura is the most heavy English speaking server while Odin is the most Japanese speaking server. Everywhere else is about more or less balanced.

Q: This feels really bad playing with a mouse and keyboard, how to fix it?
    A:The game engine is built around a PS2 dev kit. Still run on it up to 2022. The mouse will emulate a joystick function, not very ideal. The best way to play FFXI is to either adopt the full keyboard or picking a controller. I personally suggest the controller, for a game like XI, it's ideal and easy to kick back with it. There is plenty of information available for both of those options on Youtube / Online if you struggle learning either of those two methods.

Q: I don't see players, is this game dead?
    A: FFXI is an old game, so it's safe to assume as a new player or returner, you are in catch up mode from the start. So initially, you will solo a lot with your loyal trust. Along your journey, you will run into people or be noticed. Eventually, you will catch up! Do not be shy, ask in "/yell" chat for a social linkshell. Or visit the Linkshell concierge and join a Linkshell. (Kind of like a guild, in some sort of fashion!)

Linkshell Concierge locations:
    Northern San d'Oria (K-9)
    Bastok Mines (K-9)
    Windurst Walls (C-14)

Q: Inventory is full, how I do increase it?
    A:
    A series of quest is available to do, called "The Gobbiebag". However that is a more expensive solution that will require some time invested in the game.

Here's how to save slots easily. From your game menu, go to the "View House". Then "Mog Case" can be used to for storage, think of it like a backpack. Equipment can be stored into "Mog Wardrobe" and "Mog Wardrobe 2". You can equip your gear directly from the Wardrobe. This should help out managing the inventory better.

Q: Can race change my character or change my name?
    A:
    It is not possible to do so in FFXI! So be considerate of your character choice and be judicious about your name!

Q: Are server transfer possible?
    A:
    A server transfer service can be purchased from account management page. The fee is $18 USD.

Finally I'd like to thank everyone who worked on these tools and guides along the years, keeping the FFXI community alive, and delivering amazing work. I hope this information will bring help! FFXI community is really great, and will always remain great! Don't let little obstacles and occasional disagreements get in the way, they're nothing but minor obstacles! ~Pulp
    (5)
    Last edited by Divinas; 05-11-2022 at 07:23 PM.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Divinas View Post
    Sup! As of the day of writing this message, we're now bumping with our game's 20th anniversary! Welcome to FFXI, or merry return!

• Very good Fandom page with mix of new and old that can help you unblock on your journey.
      FFXIclopedia
    • Blue Gartr wiki. Very similar to the Fandom, will help you unblock on your journey.
      BG-wiki
    • Community's Reddit that is more active, generally.
      FFXI Reddit
    • Vana'diel time, weather, moon phase. (I don't know any other site personally, this does the job!)
      FFXI Time Information

Q&A:

Q: What server should I go to?
    A: Every server are good. Being honest, Asura is the most populated one, but Asura is also considered "overpopulated". You will make friends regardless where you go, but some decently populated servers on the fly that are not overly crowded: Ragnarok, Fenrir, Phoenix, Bahamuth. Again, any server is fine.

Q: Where to NA/EU players play at?
    A: FFXI servers are global, means you will have a mix of Japanese and English everywhere. Asura is the most heavy English speaking server while Odin is the most Japanese speaking server. Everywhere else is about more or less balanced.

Q: This feels really bad playing with a mouse and keyboard, how to fix it?
    A:The game engine is built around a PS2 dev kit. Still run on it up to 2022. The mouse will emulate a joystick function, not very ideal. The best way to play FFXI is to either adopt the full keyboard or picking a controller. I personally suggest the controller, for a game like XI, it's ideal and easy to kick back with it. There is plenty of information available for both of those options on Youtube / Online if you struggle learning either of those two methods.

Q: I don't see players, is this game dead?
    A: FFXI is an old game, so it's safe to assume as a new player or returner, you are in catch up mode from the start. So initially, you will solo a lot with your loyal trust. Along your journey, you will run into people or be noticed. Eventually, you will catch up! Do not be shy, ask in "/yell" chat for a social linkshell. Or visit the Linkshell concierge and join a Linkshell. (Kind of like a guild, in some sort of fashion!)

Linkshell Concierge locations:
    Northern San d'Oria (K-9)
    Bastok Mines (K-9)
    Windurst Walls (C-14)

Q: Inventory is full, how I do increase it?
    A:
    A series of quest is available to do, called "The Gobbiebag". However that is a more expensive solution that will require some time invested in the game.

Here's how to save slots easily. From your game menu, go to the "View House". Then "Mog Case" can be used to for storage, think of it like a backpack. Equipment can be stored into "Mog Wardrobe" and "Mog Wardrobe 2". You can equip your gear directly from the Wardrobe. This should help out managing the inventory better.

Q: Can race change my character or change my name?
    A:
    It is not possible to do so in FFXI! So be considerate of your character choice and be judicious about your name!

Q: Are server transfer possible?
    A:
    A server transfer service can be purchased from account management page. The fee is $18 USD.

Finally I'd like to thank everyone who worked on these tools and guides along the years, keeping the FFXI community alive, and delivering amazing work. I hope this information will bring help! FFXI community is really great, and will always remain great! Don't let little obstacles and occasional disagreements get in the way, they're nothing but minor obstacles! ~Pulp
    (0)