(0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidstorm View Post
    It is a PS2 limitation. It's always been like that, it's the way the game was coded from the start based on PS2 limits and the issue of trying to change code on something that old can create numerous new bugs. It's why they have always been slow to increase inventory, and why many other things are as wonky as they are.
    It's not a PS2 limitation. Just because the limit has been the same since the PS2 era does not mean that the PS2 is the reason for the limit. More than likely it is a server load issue, the same reason yells are limited to certain areas, the same reason Free Companies, Linkshells, and the Novice Network in FFXIV have a set size limit, and why Cross World linkshells have a smaller limit. The higher the number of players, the more network and server load is exerted by sending a message to that many people. (and don't try to say "ps4 limitations," as PC is the main platform for FFXIV and any other platform will be dropped if and when it is limiting their ability to upgrade the game). I imagine that they could double the size limit if they removed the ability to have two active linkshells. But I don't think people would be happy with that.

Shout and Say are different because those are limited to a localized area and the zone you're in, respectively. Any given zone is handled by only a single server within the world's server cluster, so on an individual zone basis there isn't this kind of limitation.

They were "slow to address inventory" because the system was designed a certain way that makes it not easy to change. It's also a network speed limitation due to the game being designed to work on dial-up internet connections, more than it is a PS2 limitation, as the reason they didn't simply give us a ton of wardrobes and space immediately was because of the data loading issues caused by this design. They could make inventory capacity anything they want to (within reason), but the network rate cap is not a PS2 limitation. The PS2's memory limits probably did get in the way as well, but that limit went away the very moment they stopped supporting the PS2, they wouldn't have had to do anything special to get around that, as the PC version always used more memory than the PS2 version.

Ultimately, every issue has different causes, you can't just assume PS2 limitations in the case of every thing we want they don't change.

Why are you taking this stance? Did you even read my whole post?
    I love it when everyone jumps to "did you even read?" when you disagree with someone...
    Yes, I read. No, it doesn't change anything. I honestly don't believe it is simply an oversight that AoE modifiers were not applied equally to all spells, unless you submit this "double-nerf" as a bug and they accept it.

AoEs doing less damage with more targets is is a balance decision.
    (1)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 03-12-2022 at 10:10 AM.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixela View Post
    Doesn't 14 has the same LS cap numbers?
    Cross-world linkshells are limited to 64, regular linkshells 128, free companies and the novice network are capped at 512.
    (0)

Character
    Voidstorm
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    I submitted it idk probably a year ago. They replied by putting it in, 'not a bug'.
    AoEs doing less damage with more targets is is a balance decision.
    casts thundaja, group of targets take 2k dmg.
    Readies Cataclysm, group of targets take 30k dmg.
    another party member readies Aeolian Edge, group of targets take 35k dmg.
    (if i cast in occult acumen it's more like 500dmg)

Fuck that is not balance in any way.
    (1)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidstorm View Post
    I submitted it idk probably a year ago. They replied by putting it in, 'not a bug'.
    casts thundaja, group of targets take 2k dmg.
    Readies Cataclysm, group of targets take 30k dmg.
    another party member readies Aeolian Edge, group of targets take 35k dmg.
    (if i cast in occult acumen it's more like 500dmg)
    Fuck that is not balance in any way.
    It only goes in "Not a bug report" if you don't use the template.

If you use the template and they decide it's not a bug, it goes in "working as Intended." meaning you did not use the template or did not fill it out completely. Bug reports are essentially ignored unless the template is filled out.

Outside of that, I can't really speak to their logic or rationale behind WS balance, it doesn't seem to take all that much effort to elevate certain WS to stupidly high damage. But specifically comparing magic against magic, the mechanic of less damage being dealt per target with multiple targets IS in fact a balance decision. The AoE spells deal more damage than the single target tier they are closest in level to on a single target. If they dealt that same amount of damage to a large group it would, in fact, be broken from a balance standpoint. As I said before, it is typical in MMOs for AoE damage to be lower and require a certain number of targets before it becomes more efficient DPS.

When it comes to AoE WS, for a very long time they were rarely used and generally inferior- and it's probably because of this that the AoE scaling rules used for spells were never implemented for WS. Quite frankly, WS like Aeolean Edge are stupidly broken under current mechanics and conditions and should have these modifiers applied, rather than them being removed from spell damage. But since nerfs aren't fun, I don't expect that to be a popular opinion.

(This is also not to mention that in the early days, AoE spam itself was not common and people generally avoided fighting multiple monsters whenever possible)
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 03-12-2022 at 03:20 PM.

Player
    Wasn't this magic nerf due to summoners 1 shotting stuff in ambuscade?
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixela View Post
    Wasn't this magic nerf due to summoners 1 shotting stuff in ambuscade?
    No, we're talking about the mechanic with AoE nuke magic (e.g. -aga spells- I'm not sure if -ra spells are equally subject to this, as they were introduced much later) doing gradually less damage per target the more targets that get hit, down to a certain minimum.

You are thinking about the summoner-specific nerf where certain encounters, including ambiscade, dramatically reduice the damage of blood pacts used in succession, effectively neutering their second 1-hour, but also the use of multiple summoners. This dispute is specifically over AoE magic cast by mage jobs.
    (0)

Character
    Voidstorm
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    -ra spells are indeed equally subject to this but BLU magic is not if you want a magic to magic comparison.
    (0)

9. 04-01-2022 06:15 AM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2