Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Wardrobes

Player
    Went spelunking for quotes this morning and turned up quite a bit about Inventory Expansion. They've mentioned it will be a paid addition since July 2020.

https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Inventory_Expansion
    (1)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    the satchel,
    The satchel was never tied to a real money cost. The Locker has an in-game cost, but that's it.

Idk why anyone's outraged at paying for extra storage space, it's not exactly an unusual thing in this age. 14 players have been paying extra for more storage since the game came out. I'm frankly more surprised they haven't opened a paid item store for FFXI, they keep adding new vanity items in the monthly login campaigns- they could be making money off those.
    (0)

Player
    Before someone else posts it and launches into a lengthy post...

Yes, you had to pay for a security token to get the satchel. SE didn't make a ton of money on them and they were priced fairly cheaply.

The satchel was basically your "gift" or "reward" for tying a security token to your account originally. By getting players to attach one to their account, it reduced SE's customer support costs for all of the reports of hacked accounts prior to its release. Players benefited from the increased storage and reducing the chance of losing their account for the months of time it took for the recovery process.
    (0)
    Last edited by Sfchakan; 02-16-2022 at 06:58 AM.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sfchakan View Post
    Before someone else posts it and launches into a lengthy post...

Yes, you had to pay for a security token to get the satchel. SE didn't make a ton of money on them and they were priced fairly cheaply.

The satchel was basically your "gift" or "reward" for tying a security token to your account originally. By getting players to attach one to their account, it reduced SE's customer support costs for all of the reports of hacked accounts prior to its release. Players benefited from the increased storage and reducing the chance of losing their account for the months of time it took for the recovery process.
    The software token costs nothing and also grants access. The intent was not to sell you extra storage space (even if you want to see it that way, it was a one time cost if you got the physical token), it was to encourage players to secure their accounts because it costs them money dealing with all the people who get hacked, along with stolen accounts regularly being used for RMT botting activity, and the potential lost customers resulting from it as well.

The security token (physical or otherwise) also grants a perk in FFXIV, granting you a free teleport destination of your choosing. I don't think anyone sees it as a feature being sold, particularly because most people use the software token now. Ultimately, even if you wanted to argue it was a "paid storage service" then, it isn't anymore.

(I'm not sure if they even offer the physical token anymore; although one was included with the collector's edition of FFXIV 1.0- Which I have but have not used because my original token still works- They said it would last a few years, but mine is still going strong with no indication of dying soon, like 10 years later)
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 02-16-2022 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    The software token costs nothing and also grants access.
    The software token didn't exist for the first several years of the satchel's existence.
    (3)
    It's your server.

Character
    Lilymon
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 1
    Yes it was a paid thing at first for a while.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Catmato View Post
    The software token didn't exist for the first several years of the satchel's existence.
    Again though, the point wasn't to make big bucks off of people wanting more storage, it was a carrot on a stick to promote better account security. Otherwise, they wouldn't have later provided a cost free option (which would offend anyone who paid to do it, and that never really happened), and/or made it available for a fee outside of the security token.

I can tell you I was certainly afraid of RMT stealing my account, even though I generally practice good security and don't easily fall for phishing scams. it was a no brainer.
    (0)

8. 02-16-2022 07:57 PM
    Reason
    Ugh, can't read sorry

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    i just noticed they added a display at the title screen indicating if any wardrobes are active. I guess this makes it clear they aren't character specific, but it does kinda come across as a reminder as to what you don't have lol.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    i just noticed they added a display at the title screen indicating if any wardrobes are active. I guess this makes it clear they aren't character specific, but it does kinda come across as a reminder as to what you don't have lol.
    Those have been there since wardrobes 3 and 4 were a thing.
    (1)
    It's your server.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Catmato View Post
    Those have been there since wardrobes 3 and 4 were a thing.
    You sure?

I never noticed them before. they're almost invisible if you don't have them.
    (0)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast