Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Character
    Haldarn
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99

Is there secrecy over the 20th anniversary?

I had an expectation for something significant for the 20th Anniversary after it was announced that they'd be working towards it two years ago, but reading back on it I wonder if the community has read more into it than we perhaps should have.

There doesn't seem to be a sensible reason to hide a big surprise like an expansion pack, HD upgrade/engine change or UI modernisation, especially this close when the work would have to be virtually complete.

Don't get me wrong, I am loving We Are Vana'diel and am looking forward to the incoming storage changes and the conclusion of The Voracious Resurgence. But, other than the full rollout of the new levelling system and an Empty+3 battle system, that's seeming most likely to be all we should expect this year. Is that enough?

FFXIV announced the end to their 11yr arc with the release of Endwalker, and in a fortnight Yoshi-P is broadcasting a Live Letter detailing what's in store for the future of the game. Are we not to be shown similar courtesy from Matsui-P? Or is FFXI simply being planned one year at a time?

Will we at least get an official explanation as to the circumstances surrounding the third part of 2015's Vana'diel Project ("FFXI Mobile") failure to materialise? Especially after Yoshi-P announced in 2017 that they were fine-tuning the battle system and would make a "big announcement" when the time was right.

If SOE/Daybreak can commit to both EQ and EQ2, why is S-E so scared of giving FFXI a better share of its MMO market? Especially as XI and XIV could be maintained as two very different experiences with their own strengths and appeal.

Apologies, this subject is on my mind much more than it probably should be.
    (5)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Is there secrecy over the 20th anniversary?

I had an expectation for something significant for the 20th Anniversary]
    Well, obviously yes. They're planning to do something, everoyne knows that much. But nothing has been said specifically. The only thing I can really hypothesize on is the conclusion of the Voracious Resurgence.

Will we at least get an official explanation as to the circumstances surrounding the third part of 2015's Vana'diel Project ("FFXI Mobile") failure to materialise?
    The project was officially cancelled quite some time ago, it is rare for any comment to occur beyond that. And the anniversary is supposed to be a celebration,m so I doubt they're going to disguss or dwell on anything negative like that.

FFXI is being maintained by a handful of people, so it is unreasonable to expect some kind of wild and exciting news blitz. But again, we know nothing, so even anything I can say is only conjecture.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 02-04-2022 at 07:39 AM.

Player
    There will be no paid expansion, or at least I highly doubt it because if they were going to do that they would not of given us the missions as they have been and would of saved them for that. They are not going to do this because the division is already too busy with XIV and the new FF game they are working on.

There will be no HD remaster, the people asking for this have no idea the scope of what they are asking for, why it would not happen and they would not like it if they did. XI is an old school MMO, updating that to look like modern games goes against that completely. Not even taking into account the demands to censor textures and change them in a way people may not like.

The things we used to get from expansions are being added for free as was done with Rhapsodies, story, some new zones and endgame.

Literally Rhapsodies is there, you know what they did with that and that's what they are going to do again.

They have been continuing to add content all these years instead of saving it all up, with the new VR missions and other things such as new XP systems and updates to Ody (including new gear).

The mobile game was cancelled by Nexon because XI didn't actually shut down when it looked like it was going to, which they were banking on happening and hoping to make money from with a trashy mobile game.
    (1)
    Last edited by Pixela; 02-04-2022 at 09:33 AM.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    The mobile game was cancelled by Nexon because XI didn't actually shut down when it looked like it was going to, which they were banking on happening and hoping to make money from with a trashy mobile game.
    I'll give you that it's possible but that's total conjecture. I don't really believe that they started the mobile project *because* they thought they'd be shutting down.
    (0)

Player
    There's no real secrecy at all, they've made enough comments for us to know what's up. The Voracious Resurgence will open up a new battle content. They've outright stated it.

The Master Levels cat is already out of the bag and in progress.

Reforged Empyrean armor will be available this year.

We're getting some changes to allow for more inventory.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    The Voracious Resurgence will open up a new battle content.
    I mean its pretty obvious that's going to happen, but where did they explicitly state it?
    (0)

Character
    Haldarn
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Haldarn View Post
    and am looking forward to the incoming storage changes
    Quote Originally Posted by Akihiko_Matsui View Post
    We’re pleased to announce that the long-awaited expansion to storage systems is coming your way in the form of additional Mog Wardrobe slots. The Mog Wardrobe is a premium service, so those of you in need of extra storage may be interested in signing up.
    /sigh10char
    (1)
    It all began with a stone...

Character
    Lilymon
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 1
    First, don't listen to any of these armchair devs as they have no idea what this company is planning. I can't even count the amount of times I was told "SE will never remake FF7! They lost the assets and its impossible!"

Second, I completely agree that they should focus on BOTH mmo's and be more transparent about XI related things. It makes my blood boil to see how much care and dedication they pour into XIV yet over here (paying the same or MORE money as XIV legacy is cheaper at 9.99) we get whispers and rumours still... Like this is still 2005 and we are all speculating on the next avatar and XIV gets a full 1~2hour live broadcast with all the new bells and whistles of a modern age. The company really doesn't care for the game that much in my opinion... Even that old star wars MMO is getting new expansions regularly. All the modern MMOs have reached old ages, including XIV, and they still get more support and love it feels like.

I personally feel they do have something big planned like an expansion or HD remaster. They have been remastering a LOT of older games, even recently bringing something super obscure like that chocobo racing game to switch... I wouldn't write off something big for XI but I also would not be surprised at all if they decided to finally axe the game after the recent success of XIV. I just won't get my hopes too high.

You know what also bugs me? That XIV sends players surveys on how they could improve if they cancel subs, or why they havent logged into the game in x amount of time... They are pouring constant streams of money into XIV and yet we are paying monthly subs for not even 1% of that effort lol. I get this game is old (altho XIV is also very old in modern age) but cmon, you can have two successful MMOs, nostalgia sells very hard just look at the recent spiderman. You could revamp XI and have people play a different type of MMO when all these companies are coming out with copy and paste models of successful games.
    (2)

Player
    I'm literally posting information from the developers themselves in official postings and interviews. Go ahead and believe whatever you want.
    (0)

Character
    Lilymon
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 1
    and? They've "officially" stated the game was ending updates and no new story or anything, yet here we are? They are not to be believed. They have always treated this like some mystery thing where they can't tell the public their plans, since day 1. I have no idea why but they don't do that in XIV, only here maybe its some tradition.
    (1)

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast