Character
    Opaque
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99

Making Ballista uncapped 75-cap

Ballista uncapped was fun back in the 75-era, but nowadays its unplayable due to balancing issues. Please concider putting a 75 cap on the uncapped Ballista matches (i.e. removing uncapped from organized matches), so that we get more chances to PvP {Fun} {Excitement}!

As a side note: I believe most servers only play 60 cap, so maybe remove the lower caps as well and replace with more 60/75?

Thank you!
    (3)

Character
    Tyyrael
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    What would be incredible would be if they would finish the pvp side of monstrosity like originally intended. Think how fun it would be if you could kill unsuspecting players, as a monster, or kill another player while they are a monster; You could level up your monster, build it to then fight other monsters controlled by other players. How amazing would that be!?
    (0)

Character
    Tyyrael
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    I suppose though it would be better if people had to atleast agree to be able to be attacked by player controlled monsters either when they entered the applicable zones or through some menu option
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by 0paque View Post
    Ballista uncapped was fun back in the 75-era, but nowadays its unplayable due to balancing issues. Please concider putting a 75 cap on the uncapped Ballista matches (i.e. removing uncapped from organized matches), so that we get more chances to PvP {Fun} {Excitement}!

As a side note: I believe most servers only play 60 cap, so maybe remove the lower caps as well and replace with more 60/75?

Thank you!
    While I don't get to do it as often as I like, I run most of the PvP that ends up happening on Shiva (which admittedly isn't often) and we only really do uncapped.

No one has gear for level caps anymore, so it's a pain in the butt to prepare for anything with a level cap. Yes, uncapped is hilariously messy, but that's also kinda the fun of it.

If we had 75 cap most people would be naked since most gear will not function as intended even with the scaling down they implemented years ago. I don't think I could convince anyone to farm 75 gear over again to perform optimally in side content like this.

That being said, this goes for the other level caps as well. My proposal is the following options:

75 cap
    99 cap
    119 cap (No master levels)
    + option to enable/disable job point/gift bonuses
    Unrestricted

The grindy nature of FFXI does leave a lot of people not wanting to do things that don't advance their character in some way; but there seems to have been some attention given recently to contents we do for amusement over progression (like the recently permanently-added mandrigora mania minigame)
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 01-30-2022 at 05:03 PM.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrael View Post
    I suppose though it would be better if people had to atleast agree to be able to be attacked by player controlled monsters either when they entered the applicable zones or through some menu option
    This already exists in a crude fashion, by restricting it to certain areas and being level capped. The problem is this takes all the fun out of it and further makes it annoying because you can't mount in those areas while it's enabled.

Better to just be able to set a monstrosity PvP flag, and if you do, you know what you're getting into.

Becuase it would be way more fun if Monipulators could try to blend into their surroundings and surprise people. That's not really possible when you're clearly marked by an icon as not being an ordinary monster.
    (1)

Character
    Struggler
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    Id support it.

Not everyone has all the perfect gear for that particular cap anymore, yes, but thats just incentive to play more to get it. I know players that would, like Opaque and myself, lol. (Not to mention this gear is super ez to get now.. and most lvl 99 gear syncs well at this cap, anyways.)

I really miss 75 cap, theres currently no way to do it right now with level sync in current pvp and would be really appreciated atleast by the few pvp shells on Asura that would play it, 100%.
    (1)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Not everyone has all the perfect gear for that particular cap anymore, yes, but thats just incentive to play more to get it.
    Ballista is a for-fun event. While it has a cult following (of which I am a part), there is really no incentive to regrind gear you already got in the past and upgraded, just to not be naked for it. This is why PvP in MMOs these days tends to normalize stats/skills, so that you don't have to do any of that and can just jump in and enjoy it. While I personally find it fine to have gear for PvP, I've never been able to convince someone with a passing curiosity to play when they discover they're going to need to get gear for it (not to mention the unlock quest, which itself made people lose interest when I tried to ask them to join me).

There's no incentive to grind gear for Ballista because there's no reward other than temporary titles and maybe taking a little gil from your friends. The reward is (supposed to be) a good time, people won't grind gear just for a good time, and that's been one of FFXI PvP's problems from the get-go. As I said before:
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanalem
    I don't think I could convince anyone to farm 75 gear over again to perform optimally in side content like this.
    This is why I, and the people I enjoy it with, are happier with unrestricted PvP as they don't need to do anything special to prepare for it other than take gear swaps out of their macros (which itself is enough of a deterrent for some).

Ballista's biggest problem has always been barriers to entry. So while I support getting rid of the options no one will ever use, I don't support level 75 being the default unless they do something about how overly limited the gear scale-down features are (where the only thing that scales is basic stats and everything else is disabled). And that's probably more work than they would ever possibly consider putting into this.

Few people, even among those that want 75 Ballista to be the default, likely are prepared for it, and there is little incentive to do so. Uncapped official matches should remain uncapped, while 75 and 99 without job points/master level should replace the other level restrictions. Everyone gets what they want this way, as not even the people who like ballista ever play at level 30 or 50.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 02-20-2022 at 01:56 PM.