Character
    Stoobey
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99

Where are we in FFXI

Hey Guys,

I've always been one of those people who assumed everyone was at the same level in FFXI, we all want the same things, we're all at the same point in the game.... But... FFXI isn't the same game it was 5(10/15) years ago, so I'd like to open up some honest discussion on what we see the current state of the game.

I've been taking a break since the start of the year, as I'd ran out of things to do, Odyssey hit and I beat the bosses, but I just couldn't face spamming them to get new armour, to make me more powerful, with nothing new to beat. I came back for the free log in, but find people I know are mostly quitting, left, moving on, is this common?

I always thought of my linkshell as casual endgame, never any strict rules, we all did stuff to help each other, more about the fun than rewards, but dynamis died over two years ago, omen before that, what do we have to do....

What is FFXI now? Is it animal crossing, more a place to hang out, rather than accomplish anything? It's fantastic that they keep the servers open, and give us content, but not challenging content is more like a retirement home...

thoughts an discussion appreciated
    (0)

Player
    Here is the secret, ffxi has never been hard as such. It just had very low drop rates, this is the only way to keep people like you from eating everything on the table and having nothing left to do.

No mmorpg that is running, will ever keep you happy for more than 6-12 months total. This is your curse.

You can say they need to add really difficult content, the problem is that people like you use all the addons that exist to negate any challenge they add and the game has to be made for people who don't use these things. They can't rate content for people using auto turn software, auto gear swaps to put all the best gear on at every point, and all the other stuff.

There is a small minority of players that are using all the 3rd party tools that they know make them overpowered, and then complain because the game is easy because of it.
    (4)
    Last edited by Pixela; 01-01-2022 at 01:56 PM.

Character
    Stoobey
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    I had hoped for some intelligent discussion, I played on xbox until I couldn't , I have never used third party applications, I use macros and equipsets, I can take take screenshots if you really want to see (until free play ends), you are deflecting the conversation...

I love xi and want to see it go on forever, but I see many people quit, because they have run out of things to do.

I was asking how people see the game, is it more casual now, how do you feel about it?

You are on asura? I can get on and engage with chat, I am on eu times
    (3)

Character
    Stoobey
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Why are you being that person? yes when aeonics came out we used to smn burn them, but never with cheats, if you look at ffxi wiki they give a great guide to smn macros and equipsets, astral conduit all the main mobs at the time, the game never was that hard, you just had to pay attention and work hard......

you've annoyed me, because you use assumptions, at 75 I was blm main, in charge of stuns or crowd control on xbox, yes you had some douches who used 3rd party applications to never miss a stun, but that was never me.....
    (1)

Character
    Stoobey
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    predictable in that someone tries to call you out, then goes quiet.

FFXI has never been difficult, but it always had some kind of progression in place, you do this, you can face this....

right now it feels like, you do this, you get better, but nothing new to face...

At 75 it took me over a year to get homam legs and I was so happy when I got them, now, it's one to two months to get full malignance, solo...

what is this game now? nothing wrong with increasing drop rates, as long as you increase content, right now it's the worst of both worlds, easy content, easy drops
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuzey View Post
    Hey Guys,

I've always been one of those people who assumed everyone was at the same level in FFXI, we all want the same things, we're all at the same point in the game.... But... FFXI isn't the same game it was 5(10/15) years ago, so I'd like to open up some honest discussion on what we see the current state of the game.

I've been taking a break since the start of the year, as I'd ran out of things to do, Odyssey hit and I beat the bosses, but I just couldn't face spamming them to get new armour, to make me more powerful, with nothing new to beat. I came back for the free log in, but find people I know are mostly quitting, left, moving on, is this common?

I always thought of my linkshell as casual endgame, never any strict rules, we all did stuff to help each other, more about the fun than rewards, but dynamis died over two years ago, omen before that, what do we have to do....

What is FFXI now? Is it animal crossing, more a place to hang out, rather than accomplish anything? It's fantastic that they keep the servers open, and give us content, but not challenging content is more like a retirement home...

thoughts an discussion appreciated
    If you've beaten all the master trials and you want to say there's no challenging content, well, you'll never be satisfied. There is plenty of challenge to be had for ordinary players. You can also think outside the box and do challenge runs or creative builds that are more fun than practical.|

Frankly I disagree with the notion that the game is a "retirment home" and that there is nothing challenging to do. Yeah, it's not challenging for botters using every 3rd party tool in the book, but for everyone else, there is plenty to do.

We all get bored of things eventually, if this is how you feel, well it's probably time to find something new to play. I do not see a pattern of behavior of people quitting mainly because they don't think the game is hard enough.
    (2)

Character
    Voidstorm
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    You sound a bit like my friend. We planned to try and do bumba + 2 t3 NMs each round killing all 3, but he quit because he was more interested in other games again.
    Now I'm in a different static who also doesn't want to try that but at least we're doing some NMs instead of nothing.
    (0)

Character
    Stoobey
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Ok, you're not getting what I am saying, it's fine, I'm just seeing a lot of people leave the game as they have run out of things to do.... That doesn't mean they have done every quest, what it does mean, is they are happy in what they have accomplished, have been waiting for new content, which hasn't been forthcoming, so they move on.

Right now, Odyssey is the current end game content, why do you do it, to get better gear, where does that gear lead you.... Odyssey is almost two years old now....(Since the initial first zone was released)

Pixela was right, in the old days, you had bad drop rates keep you spamming things, you remember getting a dynamis drop, it was so rare, it took you forever, but you also had lots of content to do while waiting for the drop....

I resent this whole notion that if you are bored, you must be cheating, but I do accept I have been lucky to be in good linkshells throughout my game time, I remember the first ultima win in limbus, the first dynamis lord victory, in recent times it was more beating escha bosses and the like.

It's fine making drops easier to get, but you then have to increase content, what we have right now is less content and better drop rates, the opposite of what we need.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuzey View Post
    predictable in that someone tries to call you out, then goes quiet.

FFXI has never been difficult, but it always had some kind of progression in place, you do this, you can face this....

right now it feels like, you do this, you get better, but nothing new to face...

At 75 it took me over a year to get homam legs and I was so happy when I got them, now, it's one to two months to get full malignance, solo...

what is this game now? nothing wrong with increasing drop rates, as long as you increase content, right now it's the worst of both worlds, easy content, easy drops
    It took me over a year to get homam set too, cause of RNG. I still did it for over a year after getting everything, because the LS was close nit and we all wanted everyone else to get theirs. Ironically, the people who ran the shell quit the game when everyone got their drops.

It took me nearly 15 months to get full Malig solo.

Increasing drop rates, is good for players in the low to mid-tier but the drop rates should always be lower to the high end. They have started to get far too generous with drop rates over the past 5 years, that is a mistake because the loot is what keeps these players around. You cannot ever make enough content for these people, I know because I used to be one. The moment they get the carrot they lose drive to continue.

So don't let them get the carrot too quick, you could say this is bad but the reality is they don't want to quit either and that will prob happen when they reach that carrot. Unless you set another up around the time they get the last one.

My HNML leader stopped me getting the one thing I wanted for years, at the time I hated her for that. In reality I would of probably quit the LS and the game if she let me it too quick because HNM camping was a chore and I had nothing else to do, I had every job at cap before Aby and I had every drop from everything else.

If they had not let you get your Ody sets so quick, you would probably still be playing properly and not just during free access.

Ody was content aimed at fairly casual players, the gear is way too easy to get. The problem is it's off-putting to casual players.
    (1)
    Last edited by Pixela; 01-04-2022 at 12:21 AM.

Character
    Stoobey
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    I think I'm a relic of the past, was happy to farm a year to get gear, it was more about the ls community, we met up in real life a few times, London, New York, Paris, Edinburgh, Munich amongst others, people we played with are now married, with kids, I feel sad that most have gone now, but that's the way of things.

I didn't mean to be aggressive, but I feel sad, this brilliant game seems to be going out with a whimper.

It's fine to say I'm being unrealistic with my expectations of wanting new content, but don't accuse of botting or using cheats, if you knew me, you would know I'm a tight ass, why pay for something you can farm
    (2)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast