Character
    Chumeia
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 46

Heuristics detection FFXImain.dll issue and, MS gaming overlay link error.

After a fresh install on 64 bit Windows 10 Pro N, and full updates I am seeing two errors both now resolved. I would like to share with the community what the solution was.

First upon launching POL and with pretty much every window transition I would get a prompt to download content from Microsoft. I have come to understand that the issue is not caused by POL or FFXI but rather the video card driver/software. It is trying to communicate to the so called X-Box software in windows 10. I had disabled this garbage, as I have no need of it or any X-Box tools. Turns out Microsoft thinks it is necessary anyway. So, we can live with the error and ignore it, or we can go to the store and reinstall it.

I was also seeing an issue with FFXI failing to launch. No matter what I would be directed back to the to POL launch support window. The game would look as though it was loading but then not. No advertised crash, no entries into the Event Viewer logs. After directing FFXI to check the files, I noticed Malware Bytes say it found a Heuristics violation. Sure enough MalwareBytes was placing FFXImain.dll in quarantine and had done so before. So there were now two copies in quarantine and this explained the failure to launch. I reversed the action and white listed the folder. Now the game launches properly.

I had also installed legacy support for "direct play" though I have no proof this was of any use at all. Some forums said this may be a viable fix, and others pointed to bad links in the registry, which were not the cause and were all set correctly.

An unrelated issue. When choosing new passwords, do not set them to the maximum length. Doing this will cause the login to fail at random. Reducing the password by one character resolves this issue. So 14 characters is the limit.

I hope others find this useful.

I would like to also say this post can and should be related to the one about Norton flagging FFXI.dll as a virus several years ago. In the instance I have provided it was not flagged as a virus as much as it was deemed suspicious and so removed for safety. But in both cases the issue was caused by system protection software.
    -If I had not run the file validation and repair, I might not have discovered the cause. Since there was no report stored in the the Event Viewer.
    (1)
    Last edited by Chumeia; 12-27-2021 at 02:26 AM. Reason: grammatical