Thread: Omen queues

Character
    Zehira
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    While there are perhaps too many servers, it won't solve the problem if people continue to pack and test its limits.

I'm not bitter specifically about people being on Asura (there's a JP-dominated server that's just as big and one or two others that are close), I admit, it's a bit frustrating and I'm still very curious who it was that had enough influence to decree that Asura was the server everyone should move to. But even if it was Shiva that was the one people piled on, I'd still not be happy because I'd still be dealing with problems, just of a different nature.

It would be better for everyone if the server populations were more balanced. No giant servers nor tiny servers, just roughly equal ones. Then everyone will be satisfied with their ability to find people to play with, and people won't have to deal with queues and SE won't need to engineer special solutions specifically because of overcrowded servers that other servers don't need. While you've seen me try to dissuade people from going to Asura, I don't specifically want them to come to Shiva (though they can if the want), I just want to see them on any server that isn't the biggest ones.

In short, I'm not salty about specific servers, i'm salty about the imbalance in populations in general. You have two kinds of servers both with unique sets of problems, and your choice is which set of problems bothers you the least.
    Asura has always been that popular for a decade even before my server, Pandemonium, merged into.

Asura, Odin, Bahamut, and soon Fenrir are the only servers that seem to be more balanced. Queues are absolutely necessary for a large server.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Zehira View Post
    Asura has always been that popular for a decade even before my server, Pandemonium, merged into.

Asura, Odin, Bahamut, and soon Fenrir are the only servers that seem to be more balanced. Queues are absolutely necessary for a large server.
    "A couple servers are balanced"
    No, those servers are too large. If they wer ebalanced, all servers would be in that list of tours. Balanced means ALL the same, not "a couple the same and the others different."
    If the full population of the game were more evenly distributed, things like the duplicated instance areas for Ambu and other such measures that were added to mitigate crowding would not have been necessary.
    And further, Asura, which has by far the worst botting/RMT problem, would not be standing out in this area. You could split Asura in two and still have totally playable server populations (still larger than most others).

Ask yourself: Is "more people" really worth longer wait times, and some content being entirely locked out by bots at times (COUGH SALVAGE COUGH), more lag in more places, among other issues caused by overcrowding? Regardless of whether or not Asura was "always popular," the point remains: Asura needed special measures to increase its capacity after it became full, something that has never happened before in FFXI's history? The fact that it reached capacity by definition makes it overcrowded.

As with most things in life, things are better somewhere in the middle than at one or the other of two extremes.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 12-22-2021 at 04:47 PM.

Player
    "why do they have so many people in new york? So overcrowded! move those people to Monterey so even things out!"
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixela View Post
    "why do they have so many people in new york? So overcrowded! move those people to Monterey so even things out!"
    I know what you're trying to do but you know what? Yes, New York is overcrowded.

Aside from that, your analogy is flawed anyway because servers have finite limits that cities do not.
    (0)

Character
    Zehira
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixela View Post
    Exactly. Not our fault if people don't do anything to keep their fellow players subscribed or from switching over. People on Facebook are still encouraging the new/returned players to go to a larger server. Even making the auction houses available 24/7 is the biggest reason why players want to switch over. Having enough players on a server is more important than people thought. You don't need me to be around to be happy. You always have players to play with while I play the other game.

Primed for Adventure once again proved that they can have a good time with anyone. Okieeomi didn't talk that much when I played with her but she is still right. You don't trust words, you trust actions. People can tell you anything but actions tell you everything.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Catmato View Post
    You're in luck! World transfers are 50% off for the next 4 weeks!
    What have I started?
    (0)
    It's your server.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4