Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Catmato View Post
    Fixed. There is no labor shortage.
    Keep telling yourself that, doesn't make it true.

They clearly don't have enough staff to meet the demand, that's the very definition of a labor shortage.

Quote Originally Posted by Sfchakan View Post
    XIV's new expansion didn't translate to a lack of XI GM support for years prior to its release.
    I've never had a problem making GM calls and getting some form of response in a reasonable time frame during normal circumstances. Or rather, what we used to call normal circumstances.

Guess what? I work in the industry. We don't have enough help. Lots of places don't have enough help. I've seen businesses close permanently because they can't get enough help- even with wage increases. People are quitting their jobs at record rates because everyone apparently thinks this is their opportunity to find greatness, or they want to be their own boss in the gig economy. My job is classified as part time, but up until just this month, i've been working full time hours to make up for less staff.

People who would have considered working at my place of employment now not only aren't working for us, they're adding to our workload (i.e. doordash and instacart). That's where a lot of these people are going. Think about this the next time you order delivery. When businesses didn't have to think about this sort of thing, they had enough help. Now they're under pressure to offer delivery service as people want to go out less and less, and they're competing with the delivery providers themselves for workers.

Now try to tell me "there's no labor shortage" again.

(And no, the problem isn't wages. It's an excuse. I've gotten four raises over the course of this year, plus an extra differential for weekends. I have no complaints about how much I get paid for what I do. Many businesses have raised their compensation offerings considerably and it hasn't proven to be enough. The labor market is changing and people very much don't want to do these things anymore. Also people apparently don't seem to realize this, but to raise wages, you generally have to raise prices. Which means people need more money, which means you need to raise wages, which means you have to raise prices, and so on. You're never going to get a kings ransom working a basic labor job that has no qualifications. Those Instacart shoppers, one told me they're earning like $30 an hour, which may be true if they're serving a whole bunch of clients at the same time all day long, in which case they're probably working harder than me. But they're also running their cars into the ground which is going to eat into that. In the end they likely don't end up with much more than I do.

And what does a GM have to do? Sit at a computer for hours on end, type out messages to support requests, maybe do some investigating.... this isn't rocket science, it's not going to be a high paying job. And I'm sure that they've gotten raises too.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 12-10-2021 at 03:24 PM.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Zori View Post
    It's 3:30 and I STILL have not gotten a response, what the hell kind of service you running here?
    Even in the best of times, it usually takes them at least an hour or two. Your expectations are unreasonable. Immediate service was never promised or even implied.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    And what does a GM have to do? Sit at a computer for hours on end, type out messages to support requests, maybe do some investigating.... this isn't rocket science, it's not going to be a high paying job. And I'm sure that they've gotten raises too.
    This kind of thinking is exactly the problem. It's not difficult but it's a shitty job. If they were willing to pay a better wage for these positions, they would be filled.

And you really blame your perceived labor shortage on the gig economy? You really think people are quitting fulltime, well-paying jobs to be delivery drivers with no benefits? Maybe stop licking corporate boots for a minute to look around and see that people, possibly you included, are absolutely being taken advantage of.
    (2)
    It's your server.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    This kind of thinking is exactly the problem. It's not difficult but it's a shitty job. If they were willing to pay a better wage for these positions, they would be filled.
    You don't know how much they're paying.

See if you can find the contractor that fills these jobs. Apply. Then you will know.

You assume that every job that is open is purely a matter of not paying enough, but that's just not how it works. There are tons of factors at play, and wages is just one of them. The pandemic changed the way a lot of people wanted or were willing to do things. Jobs that had perfectly adequate compensation for the tasks they perform became less desireable. A lot of people don't want to work in stores because they fear it puts them at greater risk for the virus, for example. Offering the highest wages you could reasonably offer and still run your business isn't going to convince that person to work for you. There is a significant disconnect between the jobs people are willing to do and how much they can be paid to do them (They could triple my pay but that would be unreasonable and unrealistic- htere's a point past which you can't keep throwing money at the problem).

Things like Uber/Lyft and all the various delivery services and such, these things are highly desireable right now for a multitude of reasons that go far beyond how much money you make doing it. Particularly delivery services and package delviery, you don't spend lots of time in close contact with others, so these tasks are perfect for people who may be strongly concerned about the virus (or are immunocompromised). I almost certainly could make more money as an instacart shopper than I do working at the store i'd be shopping at for Instacart. But do I want to do that job? No. So it doesn't matter how much it pays.

(Have you ever played the card game "Million Dollars But" ? You use cards-against-humanity style card pairs to create ridiculous things you would or wouldn't do for lots of money)
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 12-10-2021 at 06:39 PM.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    Keep telling yourself that, doesn't make it true.

They clearly don't have enough staff to meet the demand, that's the very definition of a labor shortage.

I've never had a problem making GM calls and getting some form of response in a reasonable time frame during normal circumstances. Or rather, what we used to call normal circumstances.

Guess what? I work in the industry. We don't have enough help. Lots of places don't have enough help. I've seen businesses close permanently because they can't get enough help- even with wage increases. People are quitting their jobs at record rates because everyone apparently thinks this is their opportunity to find greatness, or they want to be their own boss in the gig economy. My job is classified as part time, but up until just this month, i've been working full time hours to make up for less staff.

People who would have considered working at my place of employment now not only aren't working for us, they're adding to our workload (i.e. doordash and instacart). That's where a lot of these people are going. Think about this the next time you order delivery. When businesses didn't have to think about this sort of thing, they had enough help. Now they're under pressure to offer delivery service as people want to go out less and less, and they're competing with the delivery providers themselves for workers.

Now try to tell me "there's no labor shortage" again.

(And no, the problem isn't wages. It's an excuse. I've gotten four raises over the course of this year, plus an extra differential for weekends. I have no complaints about how much I get paid for what I do. Many businesses have raised their compensation offerings considerably and it hasn't proven to be enough. The labor market is changing and people very much don't want to do these things anymore. Also people apparently don't seem to realize this, but to raise wages, you generally have to raise prices. Which means people need more money, which means you need to raise wages, which means you have to raise prices, and so on. You're never going to get a kings ransom working a basic labor job that has no qualifications. Those Instacart shoppers, one told me they're earning like $30 an hour, which may be true if they're serving a whole bunch of clients at the same time all day long, in which case they're probably working harder than me. But they're also running their cars into the ground which is going to eat into that. In the end they likely don't end up with much more than I do.

This post exposes quite a bit of information about yourself and explains your very odd behavior on these forums quite a lot.
    (2)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    This post exposes quite a bit of information about yourself and explains your very odd behavior on these forums quite a lot.
    There is nothing "odd" about my behaivor on these forums. I'm doing exactly what any ordinary person does on this forum: Discuss and debate topics. That is precisely what a forum is for.

Whatever you think you are inferring from my post, it is almost certainly innacruate. Don't reply to me if you don't have anything to say on the topic being discussed. This comes across as a personal attack, and the fact that you were looking for information on me rather than having genuine interest in the topic, once could say the same thing you said about me of yourself.

So rather than pressing this any further and trying to attack me or make me out to be something I'm not, my suggestion remains: I'll be happy to discuss the topic, and any others posted on the forum with you, but otherwise, it is best that neither of us engage each other any further.
    (1)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 12-15-2021 at 05:45 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2