Character
    Lackven
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 2

PlayOnline Viewer Not Responding on startup

Hullo!

I'm a very new player, though I have played before- probably towards the beginning of the pandemic. Now, back then the game launched with zero issues and I enjoyed my time in the game a lot.

Now the game doesn't work... at all. I got to play the game for about five minutes until the game stopped responding. I force quit the game and it hasn't worked since.

I have re-installed the game about three times now.
    The First Installation was when the issues started.

Second Installation: I uninstalled, and then reinstalled my Steam copy of FFXI. I can log in, set up PlayOnline itself okay, but once I hit "Play," the game starts and then freezes on the opening movie. I can still hear the sounds but I am stuck waiting until it responds- It will start to respond for about a second, and then seize up again.

Third attempt: I uninstalled my steam version, and downloaded the client directly from the website. It is no longer attached to steam. Once again, I set up PlayOnline just fine and I'm stopped at the Opening Movie. Same. Exact. Issue. No change.

I have launched the game with the movie enabled and disabled, and it still freezes.
    I've launched it with Ashita. Same problem.
    Windower? Same problem.
    Launch on Vanilla? Same Problem.
    Uninstall Windower and Ashita, THEN launch the Vanilla version? Same problem.

Someone, anyone, please help me... I will probably be eternally grateful if we can find a solution- and hopefully assist other people that might be having the same problem in the process.

My PC's Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700
    GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060
    Memory: 32 GB
    MoBo: MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI (MS-7C79)

and if it matters, I am using a WiFi connection, though I do not know how that would be causing this issue at all.

Edit:
    I've tested via Wired connection as well, just for the heck of it, and unfortunately there was no change.
    Some additional info- Yes, while I am using an NVIDIA card, I do not appear to have an onboard video card that the game could be mistakenly using, so that is another factor I might've ruled out.

Through further snooping, I am wondering if this could have something to do with DirectX? If so, is it possible to do a clean reinstall of my DirectX without having to uninstall and reinstall my copy of FFXI? I shan't be too broken hearted if I have to uninstall first- I am willing to do anything to get back into this lovely game.
    (0)
    Last edited by ManaElixir; 11-18-2021 at 01:39 PM.

Character
    Lackven
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 2
    Well, this is my final update on my problem, as I have located the culprit of my issue.

I hope that my plight might be a boon to other adventurers:
    My C Drive, containing my OS started to get full- while it wasn't totally full, 'twas enough to absolutely bung up FFXI while it was trying to boot up.
    Case closed, Moral of the Story; I need to pay more attention to where I install my, I feel like a complete dummy now... lol

The game runs smoothly now, after clearing up over 400 GB worth of space- perhaps a bit overkill, but that junk needed to move anyways.
    (2)

Greetings fellow adventurer,

We are happy to hear that you were able to diagnose the issue and resolve it. We appreciate your findings as these details can be helpful for future potential instances that may arise. We will go ahead and close out this issue as resolved.

Thank you once again for contacting the FINAL FANTASY XI Technical Support Forums!
    (1)