(0)

Character
    Michaelbw
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    BST Lv 78

20th anniversary

I was hoping big to see the game graphics being improved for the 20th anniversary.

So true that all games are remastered except FFXI. (But FFXI mobile reboot didn’t reached the market)…

At some point in FFXI history, the devs said it was the most profitable game ever of the franchise. With all the extra income the game has made, couldn’t HD graphics/textures be produced??

For when FFXI 8K ??
    (1)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Burialfaith View Post
    I was hoping big to see the game graphics being improved for the 20th anniversary.

So true that all games are remastered except FFXI. (But FFXI mobile reboot didn’t reached the market)…

At some point in FFXI history, the devs said it was the most profitable game ever of the franchise. With all the extra income the game has made, couldn’t HD graphics/textures be produced??

For when FFXI 8K ??
    At this point, I just really wish Square Enix would sell the rights to make further remakes / remasters / spin offs of older IPs, like FFs they don't care about (VI, VIII, IX, XI, XII), Chrono Cross, Tactics Ogre, etc., and just kept working on the IPs they actually care (FFVII and XIV) as those makes them enough money while freeing up beloved older IPs the company does nothing good with to be explored by smaller and more caring developers whom would actually give a damn. So many IPs deserve better treatment than SE gives, specifically given the latest "demasters" the company released and the way they always treated and treat FFXI.

Think of the Bioware ~ Obsidian relationship, or maybe the Fromsoft ~ Bluepoint one. Clearly SE themselves are NOT the best for their older, less profitable (compared to XIV at least) IPs and their remasters are usually terrible. They should just give those IPs a much deserved freedom while making some money out of it, I bet there would be many great third party companies, even big ones (smaller than Square Enix), that would love to, for example, buy the rights to remake FFVIII or take care FFXI further updates, expansions, etc..

They already sold Tomb Raider...
    (0)

Character
    Venat
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    XI remake isnt gonna happen until Yoshi P gives up XIV. All the funding going to 14 & 16. They already doing a bad job with xiv to even have any funds go anywhere else.
    If XI remake did happen it would likely be closer to ARR then XI in terms being a casual game/themepark. Majority of XI want to go back to the old hardcore days where every level earned meaned something.
    XI was made in the early Everquest days before WoW. I don't think they would ever go back knowing they make more money selling a themepark.
    I personally think there's a middle ground between them but I don't think the current devs could pull it off. If they do decide to do it. Just recycle xiv engine, assets and double the size of the dev team so they can work on both games. Then have both teams help each other with like new features. Making it easier to move 1 feature to the other game.
    (0)
    Last edited by Venat; 06-29-2022 at 07:48 AM.

5. 06-29-2022 12:09 PM

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixela View Post
    Naoki Yoshida, and FFXIV is his baby.
    FFXI is also technically his baby. He is the head of the business unit that controls both games. It may shock you to learn that he has helped to keep the game alive.
    (0)

Player
    XI was merged with XIV long ago, so XI boosts XIV player numbers and profits.

As such you're correct, but it's not for our benefit.
    (4)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixela View Post
    XI was merged with XIV long ago, so XI boosts XIV player numbers and profits.

As such you're correct, but it's not for our benefit.
    This is both false and disingenuous. XI does not "boost XIV player numbers." Even if that were true, FFXI's numbers are insignificant against XIV's and wouldn't matter for any statistic, metric, or decision making. As for profits, you're only correct in the sense that all projects under the business unit have their finances reported to the same accounting person. Not just FFXI, or FFXIV, but every project managed by Business Unit 1 (or whichever number it is). This is just standard practice for any company's accounting, and has nothing to do with any sort of judgement for or against any specific project. Rest assured that even if FFXIV didn't exist, monies generated by FFXI would contribute to the income for the entire business unit. There is no way to say that this dollar earned from this project was spent on that project. It is literally as if you dumped sacks of cash from each game into a pot, stirred it, and then disbursed that cash into the budgets of each active project in some porportion. FFXI's income is miniscule compared to FFXIV's in the first place, so even if it could be proven that X dollars earned from FFXI directly went into FFXIV's operating budget (which it can't), it would be irrelevant against the money the game generates for itself. Thus there isn't even a need to do this.

look man, I know you resent FFXIV's existence, but spreading false and/or misleading information serves no one. If you don't want to in any way fund any project that isn't FFXI, your only option is to both unsubscribe and not purchase or partake in any other Square-Enix title, as all money SE earns funds all its projects. There is no way to separate out how many of which game's dollars go to the budgets of which projects.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 06-29-2022 at 04:17 PM.

Player
    Then remove XIV from steam, since XI has more player numbers than XIV does on Steam. If one matters they both do.

The problem is you idolize XIV in a way even I don't with XI. You think it's the king of the world when it's not at all, it has decent player numbers but they are nowhere near market leader and they inflate player numbers by counting during free access times and by adding XI numbers onto it. They very much need XI to boost player numbers and profits and that is the real reason XI will not be shut down, they need it. Fun fact, this is also why XIV became "the most profitable FF game", because a) they stopped counting profits XI makes as its own product long ago when they merged playonline accounts with the ff14 account system (it has never been counted on any financial report since the accounts merged) and b) because they add all the profits XI makes onto XIV.

You know how I know XIV is nowhere near as big as they pretend it is? they never give expansion sales numbers, because this would be a guaranteed number of active players and they can't lose face by exposing them.

XI is part of XIV operations, the same staff work on both (this would never happen unless they are in the same product line), the XIV developers can use any assets they want from XI any time they want that is normally impossible for other square enix games and takes months of clearances from project leads, xi is never mentioned on any financial report (even though smaller games are), yoshida stated tanaka gave him xi, the money when paid intro crysta goes to XIV. Everything XI achieves, is counted towards XIV to make it look better.

In a way this is good becasue it means they will keep XI running as long as possible, it also means they won't do above and beyond the bare min though.

Square struggled for years to make us play XIV and failed, they finally found a way. They just pretend we are FFXIV players and it just works.
    (3)
    Last edited by Pixela; 06-29-2022 at 07:28 PM.

Character
    Kassinia
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 50
    In some ways I am hoping they never re-master XI. If they would do a straight-up graphics and GUI update, I would be all for that, but there is no way that would happen. They would do a "George Lucas" and 'improve things' which never ends well. I include VII remaster in this.

It would probably require not far off a total re-write of most of the core code, as I doubt that many of the original programmers are even still with SE and that was written 20 years ago which is a different age as far as technology goes.

I tried to play XIV twice, and hated it. The whole system was bad to me. The NPCs were unlikable and the hap-hazzard story left me cold. If they tried to push any of this into a XI remaster, as they would inevitably do it would kill it.

We would then get the split of the community would push for a "classic" game.

No thanks.
    (1)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    The problem is you idolize XIV in a way even I don't with XI.
    The problem with your entire post is this statement isn't true at all. I don't "idolize" FFXIV, in fact I would really not use that word to describe anything. I've told people multiple times about the extent of what I do in that game, which isn't really a whole lot- just PvP and deep dungeon. Two things most people don't care about lol.

I just don't hate it, deride it, and resent it for merely existing the way you do. Times change, and people's interests change. Not hating and resenting != idolizing.

Square struggled for years to make us play XIV and failed,
    They stopped trying to convert you after 1.0.

You know how I know XIV is nowhere near as big as they pretend it is? they never give expansion sales numbers, because this would be a guaranteed number of active players and they can't lose face by exposing them.
    Expansion sales numbers doesn't accuirately indicate active players. You can deny FFXIV's success all you like but that won't make it go away. Funny how they're expanding all of the datacenters and adding more Worlds because they didn't have enough capacity after Endwalker's release. Sure sounds like a sales failure to me! [/sarcasm]

This isn't a Square Enix policy either. MMOs generally don't release sales numbers or other data beyond a vague "X number of players" in promotional advertising. WoW doesn't give these numbers and neither does any other MMO I've ever played.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero-Hour
    In some ways I am hoping they never re-master XI. If they would do a straight-up graphics and GUI update, I would be all for that, but there is no way that would happen. They would do a "George Lucas" and 'improve things' which never ends well. I include VII remaster in this.
    It ends just fine many times. The problem is you can never please everyone, there's always an "old salty" who thinks all change is bad and nothing can be legitimately improved. While FFXI is classic, the idea that it can't be improved is nonsense.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 06-30-2022 at 01:45 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast