Thread: Classic Servers

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alt0167 View Post
    They do. You just weren't around when that content was revelant to the community. That's not our fault. There has to be a ls somewhere that will get you off these boards.
    Me having friends in game and me posting on these boards are not mutually exclusive. And sorry to disappoint you, as long as there is discussion to be h ad about FFXI, I will be there to be a part of it, as I like talking about the game about as much as I like playing it. And I have just as much a right to be here as you do.
    (0)

Character
    Silcrow
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    I wasn't talking to you so calm your beans
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alt0167 View Post
    I wasn't talking to you so calm your beans
    Well, you'll forgive me for thinking so, when i see that your post was below mine with no quotation or reference to another person, given the hostility I sometimes get purely for having a high post count.
    (0)

Character
    Silcrow
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    No worries I should have quoted I just thought it was clear. Internet things.

My point ultimately is I don't understand this call for 75 server as though players are being denied the experience of old. It's still there. Just makes more sense to find a ls or make one of your own? If there's a calling for it people will join.
    (2)

Character
    Nakith
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 70
    I'd support this.

The combined population from the big private servers (ToAU and Wings) out there, plus all the other smaller ones, rivals Asura population. Perhaps even surpaces it since in some of these servers multiboxing isn't allowed. And from playing and leading linkshells on these servers, from engaging with these communities: I'm certain they would immediately pay a sub and jump ship to a retail classic server. Not to mention all the disenfranchised players who gave up on dealing with pserver clunkiness since these started to pop up around 2014, 2015. Reverse engineering is not a walk in the park, yet these developers were able to replicate a fair amount of the old game already.

There are also people waiting for MMOs like Pantheon Rise of the Fallen who would be all over it. Just go ask them on the VR discord: FFXI classic is viewed in high regard.
    Other private server communities who would be interested in a revitalized XI classic experience: Star Wars Galaxies (SWGEMU, Legends), Everquest (P99), Dark Age of Camelot (Phoenix) and Asheron's Call to a lesser degree; there's a huge audience out there that has to rely on the great work done by volunteers to provide them with a classic MMO experience. One just needs to capitalize on this.

I'm really not interested in what some players who especialized in telling forum members to shut up and go play another game have to say about this post though. Insisting on discouraging people like me to give up on using the only means of communication with Square... Not gonna work.
    Hopefully the right eyes will see this demand and take it upstairs.

And I'll end on the same note I did months ago: If you read this in the future and you share our sentiment, don't be afraid to post: ignore the snide comments and let your thoughts be known. Cheers!
    (2)
    Last edited by By-Tor; 11-12-2021 at 02:07 PM.

Character
    Lilymon
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 1
    Oh please, they only play on those servers because its free. Nobody cares about 75 cap except an exceptionally small amount of people. Also you are very mistaken if you think nobody multi boxes or bots on p servers.
    (3)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by By-Tor View Post
    I'd support this.

The combined population from the big private servers (ToAU and Wings) out there, plus all the other smaller ones, rivals Asura population. Perhaps even surpaces it since in some of these servers multiboxing isn't allowed. And from playing and leading linkshells on these servers, from engaging with these communities: I'm certain they would immediately pay a sub and jump ship to a retail classic server. Not to mention all the disenfranchised players who gave up on dealing with pserver clunkiness since these started to pop up around 2014, 2015. Reverse engineering is not a walk in the park, yet these developers were able to replicate a fair amount of the old game already.

There are also people waiting for MMOs like Pantheon Rise of the Fallen who would be all over it. Just go ask them on the VR discord: FFXI classic is viewed in high regard.
    Other private server communities who would be interested in a revitalized XI classic experience: Star Wars Galaxies (SWGEMU, Legends), Everquest (P99), Dark Age of Camelot (Phoenix) and Asheron's Call to a lesser degree; there's a huge audience out there that has to rely on the great work done by volunteers to provide them with a classic MMO experience. One just needs to capitalize on this.

I'm really not interested in what some players who especialized in telling forum members to shut up and go play another game have to say about this post though. Insisting on discouraging people like me to give up on using the only means of communication with Square... Not gonna work.
    Hopefully the right eyes will see this demand and take it upstairs.

And I'll end on the same note I did months ago: If you read this in the future and you share our sentiment, don't be afraid to post: ignore the snide comments and let your thoughts be known. Cheers!
    Exactly. 100% this.
    (1)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortal View Post
    Oh please, they only play on those servers because its free. Nobody cares about 75 cap except an exceptionally small amount of people. Also you are very mistaken if you think nobody multi boxes or bots on p servers.
    I don't know... honest question: you really think so? All those players just play there because it's free? I mean, when I think about it: they do need massive donations to keep private servers fast, bugless and up and running to begin with...

I just really think it's a missed opportunity for SE, even one acquires 30%~50% of all those private server population, it would still be a great win for this game. Clearly there is a market.
    (1)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    you really think so?
    Yes, I agree.

Private servers are mostly about dodging the sub fee. You also can't really put too much heart into your character on them because their retention of your data is far less guaranteed. Beyond that, the reverse engineering is still highly imperfect and some things may not work the way you expect. And yes, private servers need to be maintained, but usually it's much like any f2p game, a few people with lots of money are covering for freeloaders.
    Combining all the known servers to rvial Asura doesn't really speak that strongly to the merits of the idea. For one, as we said already, a lot of people are doing it because it's a free alternative where they don't have to give SE any money, and not because of any particular game attributes such as level cap or whatever else. For two is really all the other stuff I've repeated several times at this point- lack of agreement on what "classic" actually is, dividing the community, Features already existing to enable this style of play without a special server (though said features could do with some improvement to be fair), etc. etc. etc.

WoW classic works for Blizzard because WoW is such an immense game that the number of people interested in it is enough to sustain a community. But even WoW classic isn't staying locked in the past, they've already reintroduced Burning Crusade, etc, which basically proves that you can't just make a server, go back in time, and freeze it there. You have to reintroduce content over time or add new content or it's just going to get stale before very long. FFXI never had anywhere near the level of market adoption as WoW. It would require a lot of investment for far less potential return than it had for Blizzard with WoW.

It can be fun to take a trip down memory lane, but the reality is, it isn't sustainable. You'll play it for a while, get bored from the lack of new content, and go back to the main game or play another game.

Look, You have to give them points for the new master level system- the XP gain is very much like the old days, needing to kill stronger mobs in a party to get a meaningful amount, trusts aren't terribly great for it, and XP loss is something of a threat again. And the people who have access to master levels are already the people who enjoy the lengthy grinds of the olden days the most.
    (1)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 11-12-2021 at 04:42 PM.

Character
    Lilymon
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lortheron View Post
    I don't know... honest question: you really think so? All those players just play there because it's free? I mean, when I think about it: they do need massive donations to keep private servers fast, bugless and up and running to begin with...

I just really think it's a missed opportunity for SE, even one acquires 30%~50% of all those private server population, it would still be a great win for this game. Clearly there is a market.
    Bugless? Cmon man, those servers are filled with bugs. They are all reverse engineered garbage, things don';t work as they should and if you think they are they probably aren't and the DEV didn't notice.
    (1)

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast