Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic Servers

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Stompa View Post
    You can start a new LS, and invite only members who want to play at level 75 cap.

Then all LS members start a new level 1 mule character. Avoid all Raptures missions / quests to avoid xp bonuses.

Don't use XP-boosting rings. Don't do RoE assignments, to avoid xp rewards. Don't complete "mounts" quest, use chocobos instead. Don't use home-point warps or survival-guide warps.

Level to 75 in all your favourite classic camps, and help each-other with limit-breaks and Artifact quests, and ROTZ / COP / TOAU / WOTG missions.

At level 75, stop doing limit-breaks, lol. Now you can start doing Merit Point parties and other level 75 content, almost like in the old days.

I made a lot of friends while levelling up in the old game. Resting MP, resting weakened, gave us time to chat and joke and make friends. We got to know who was a skilled WHM, THF, NIN, etc. People were recognised for their gaming skills, not just their gear.

I really loved the old levelling-up, xp parties, making new friends, seeing what amazing things people could do with their main jobs, even though they had NQ lol-gear.

However, that was in the pre Big Social Media / Netflix era. We didn't mind xp-ing on beetles for hours in Altepa desert, because getting level 75 was the biggest online thrill.

Basically, if you can't find a dozen friends to join a special level 75 cap LS in 2021 on your current server, and play a more old-school style FFXI, that doesn't offer much incentive for the creation of a whole new pure level 75 classic server.
    There is a middleground to be found there. Something not so spartan and classic, while still not being so streamlined and rushed as it is today.
    (0)

Player
    Then it wouldn't be classic.....
    (2)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharly View Post
    Then it wouldn't be classic.....
    Many MMORPGs did this already. Classic servers with some small changes here and there. Even WoW Classic is like that.
    (0)

Player
    Everyone seems to voice wanting a CoP era classic server and maybe include TAU with none of today's QoL enhancements and the ability to spend time doing content rather than spending 45 minutes waiting for the replacement tank to get to Kazham and the party disbanding while tank is on the way. I just cannot see how a server that is less player friendly would be worth the time for the Devs to work on at the expense of keeping the game alive and adding content for everyone to do.
    (4)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharly View Post
    Everyone seems to voice wanting a CoP era classic server and maybe include TAU with none of today's QoL enhancements and the ability to spend time doing content rather than spending 45 minutes waiting for the replacement tank to get to Kazham and the party disbanding while tank is on the way. I just cannot see how a server that is less player friendly would be worth the time for the Devs to work on at the expense of keeping the game alive and adding content for everyone to do.
    Not NONE of QoL improvs just not ALL.
    (0)

Player
    They can't afford to do classic builds (not that there is much demand anyway). It's all hands on deck to update the main game, most of their time goes into the updates planned for the 20th.
    (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Lortheron View Post
    Those have been removed?
    The areas are still there but Dynamis is changed significantly from back in the 75 days.
    (0)
    It's your server.

Player
    Not NONE of QoL improvs just not ALL.
    Then it's not classic. It will never be the same as it once was. Why should they spend resources to remove things from the game when they can add instead? You can already play a style that could be considered classic, but nobody does. People cannot even agree on what classic would mean.
    (0)

Character
    Nebula
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    There is a middleground to be found there. Something not so spartan and classic, while still not being so streamlined and rushed as it is today.
    WHM taking the time and effort, to quest their Teleport scrolls, and then being able to Teleport the party, made them a unique part of the team. Now almost entirely useless thanks to HP/SG warps, and mounts.

The connections made, when asking for a Teleport. You met a new person. You chatted. It felt nice.

This is a small example of Lost Culture. You can't pick-and-choose with Culture.

The new game lacks those bonds of friendship and reliance, bonds which were forged in adversity. I describe the new game as basically solo-player. I think that is tragic.
    (2)

Character
    Silcrow
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Stompa View Post
    This is a small example of Lost Culture. You can't pick-and-choose with Culture.
    Literally this. Probably why private servers are held on such a high pedestal for some. They represent that connection that community, but I doubt the server pops make that a reality. It seems almost like they're virtue signalling when they say they're on a private server.

Personally I like where the game has gone and how the community has changed. Fawning over the past, trying to emulate it does not make sense to me. There is still community it just operates differently now.

But that's just my hot take
    (2)

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast