Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
    Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    The only thing working against FFXI is its age and SE's level of comittment.
    Not at all, it's doing great for what it is. People have stupid expectations in modern day is all.
    (1)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixela View Post
    Not at all, it's doing great for what it is. People have stupid expectations in modern day is all.
    The message here wasn't t hat FFXI i sn't d oing well. If it wasn't, I wouldn't be here. That doesn't mean it doesn't have issues either though. But the message was those are the reasons FFXI isn't "mainstream", it isn't so much because of it being "old school' or "niche appeal."

Like I mentioned before, I have conversations about it on a regular basis in FFXI. Some people aren't even aware it's still running. Others express interest. Age is one of the primary deterring factors, people just don't want to play old games that badly unless they're like all time classics or something.
    (0)

Player
    The age of the game is part of the reason it's good, it didn't add all the zoomer trash mainstream players love these days. If they ever do remake ffxi, they will add all that garbage into it.

14 players can enjoy their 8 year old mmorpg with overpriced baseball caps and whale mounts in the cash shop, while playing the latest Nier Automata or PSO dungeon in a FF game. They can enjoy the ridiculous over the top blinding skill effects that take up 99% of the screen every time you press 1 and being in fear of interacting with the community because it's full of twitter potato people offended by everything.

I watched the latest 14 trailer a few days ago and the zoomers were like woooow look at all those big swords when he does a skill!!, that's so cool! and I was thinking how stupid it looked to have all that ridiculous over the top nonsense every time you use a skill. Then keeping in mind everyone else in the party is doing those over the top nonsense effects too, and all the time you have to dance out of red circles for the whole dungeon like you're playing a dancing simulator.

Yeah, let those people stay over there please. I love "old game" filter, it's working great.

FF14 players who can appreciate FFXI as it is are playing, the rest...no thanks
    (2)
    Last edited by Pixela; 09-22-2021 at 04:30 AM.

Character
    Lilymon
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 1
    XI exists for XI players, its here as a service to us. It's an old school mmorpg with appeal to a niche of hardcore mmorpg players, if they were to alter XI to appeal to XIV players enmasse it would be crap and none of us would want to play it anymore.

Why do people lust after mainstream audiences when you don't like mainstream products?
    I don't want them to change the core of the game, but if they revamped the graphics and got rid of the terrible cooldown on everything where you are spamming to do something and it feels very clunky, it would benefit the game. More people playing the game is more years this game will be alive, I don't want it to do die so we need a middle ground.
    (0)

Character
    Nebula
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    I compare it to a Bus Journey. You are going home after work, the bus stop outside your home is halfway between the bus stop outside your place of work, and the bus station terminus final stop.

A sensible person would get off the bus near their home, half way along the bus journey. A not-sensible person would ride the bus to the bus station, just because they want to go "all the way" and have the maximum possible bus journey. The sensible person spends the night in their comfortable home, the not-sensible person spends the night hanging around the bus station.

Just because we can go "all the way" and make games that are louder and more visually overwhelming than the older games were, doesn't mean that the new games are better than older games that were back down the road. The new games are the final bus stop, the bus station terminus. Who would want to live there? It is better to get off the bus near your home, the place where you feel comfortable and happy.

It is a modern psychopathy, the notion that that nothing is beautiful unless it has been pushed to the maximum limits, the idea that only the latest shiniest toy is worth playing with. It is a form of cultural madness.
    (2)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    The age of the game is part of the reason it's good, it didn't add all the zoomer trash mainstream players love these days. If they ever do remake ffxi, they will add all that garbage into it.

14 players can enjoy their 8 year old mmorpg with overpriced baseball caps and whale mounts in the cash shop, while playing the latest Nier Automata or PSO dungeon in a FF game. They can enjoy the ridiculous over the top blinding skill effects that take up 99% of the screen every time you press 1 and being in fear of interacting with the community because it's full of twitter potato people offended by everything.

I watched the latest 14 trailer a few days ago and the zoomers were like woooow look at all those big swords when he does a skill!!, that's so cool! and I was thinking how stupid it looked to have all that ridiculous over the top nonsense every time you use a skill. Then keeping in mind everyone else in the party is doing those over the top nonsense effects too, and all the time you have to dance out of red circles for the whole dungeon like you're playing a dancing simulator.

Yeah, let those people stay over there please. I love "old game" filter, it's working great.

FF14 players who can appreciate FFXI as it is are playing, the rest...no thanks
    You really need to get it out of your head that there's any way an FFXIV player could like or want to play FFXI. Just because they're enjoying their fanservice hotbar MMO doesn't mean they can't enjoy something different. I know because I'm one of those people.

The game needs at least the occasional new player to be sustainable. This idea is simply one way to help find and secure those people.

You might hate the idea of some younger person playing "your" MMO, but again, for the 45th time, you do not speak for the community.

Quote Originally Posted by Stompa
    It is a modern psychopathy, the notion that that nothing is beautiful unless it has been pushed to the maximum limits, the idea that only the latest shiniest toy is worth playing with. It is a form of cultural madness.
    The thing is, the people who are wowed by the stuff that comes out today will be saying the same thing you just said about whatever comes out 15-20 years from now. There's nothing wrong with today's generation liking today's things. (There's also nothing wrong with today's generation liking yesterday's things, unlike what Pixela seems to think)
    (1)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 09-22-2021 at 10:01 AM.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8