Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Character
    Siegmont
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    GEO Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    I wasn't really saying that it did, I"m just pointing out that you're running an officially obsolete windows version. That's why I said "side note."

Generally, the game will work fine regardless, but Square Enix won't provide any official support if you contact them about technical issues, or they will offer no guarantee their help will work.

Your issue is almost certainly being caused by one or more add-ons you are using. Since you are clearly using some from your screenshot.

Load the game without any third party tools, and see if you are able to leave then.

It's a fact, regardless of what words you choose to say in response. The only exception is corporations/businesses can pay money to get extended support, but even that will end in 2023.
    1. I am running the game from Linux via Wine (Which I might add runs FFXI far better than Winblows). I have been since 2011. The game has run fine up until this last update.
    2. Now the NPC's either have no name, or the name "NPC" . When you interact with them any options you would have had are now missing as I showed in the screenshot.
    3. Visual effect addon to affect the actual game files what I have there is visual overlays and they again do not affect the game functionality.
    4. This issue persists on the base game as well as it does on Windower. That was the very first thing I tested.
    (0)
    Last edited by Ultimoore; 08-14-2021 at 01:00 PM.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    1. I am running the game from Linux via Wine (Which I might add runs FFXI far better than Winblows). I have been since 2011. The game has run fine up until this last update.
    Linux and wine is an entirely different ballgame, and it goes without saying that Linux is totally unsupported by SE as well, whether it objectively "runs better than winblows" to you or not.

Rest of the points: You never actually said you tested that already, so how would I know?

3. Visual effect addon to affect the actual game files what I have there is visual overlays and they again do not affect the game functionality.
    many windower features are knkown to affect the game whtehr the'yre "visual" or not. I've had multiple cases where i couldn't progress through a battlefield cutscene but running without any external tools allowed me to proceed. Hence why I made that suggestion, and you didn't tell me before just now that you already tried that.

Something about your the environment you're running the game in must have something to do with it, because obviously, it isn't happening to me even with more "visual effect addon" than you have, using the "winblows" 11 beta channel:

The only other probable explanation is that this happened to you when the glitch with NPC names was still happening.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 08-14-2021 at 02:14 PM.

Character
    Saruhiko
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    They reverted the fix for the sunbreeze festival not working correctly in certain areas to address this problem

Side note, windows 7 is no longer supported, so you won't get any official help from support with any issues you may have.

You also really shouldn't use it anymore because it is no longer supported by Microsoft, even for security updates.
    I'm already aware that windows 7 is not supported, but the bug was not dependant on my Operating System, as many other players in my group had the same issue.

With that aside, at present I cannot afford a new machine that can run Windows 10. So I'll be sticking to what I've got.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that as of the Sunbreeze music fix, this issue has been solved on my end. I don't use any third party tools, so maybe uninstalling those until a compatible patch is out might be a solution for those who still are running into issues.
    (1)
    Last edited by Kjara; 08-15-2021 at 02:53 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    San d'Oria, Windurst, Bastok: Rank 10
    ZM:O CoP:O AU:O ACP:O
    Italian Dragoon FTW! <3 Azure 4Ever. (Roleplayer)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I'm already aware that windows 7 is not supported, but the bug was not dependant on my Operating System, as many other players in my group had the same issue.
    I didn't say it was. it was a Side Note. I never suggested or implied it was the cause of your issue.
    (0)

Character
    Siegmont
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    GEO Lv 90

I think I have figured out the issue.

Okay so I have been racking my brain the past week on why names were coming up weird and why certain dialogues were empty. So I was like "Hey lets try and validate the file through the game FFXI config program". So I open up FFXI config and clicked the validate files button and began launching the game as per normal. Guess what? It noticed that a few files were missing. It ran a proper download of all the missing files and everything works again.so here are your steps:

1. Boot up FFXI and find the "Validate game files" button and click it, then exit FFXI Config.
    2. Boot up Playonline and let POL run the validation process.

If this doesnt work for you try reinstalling the game entirely.
    (1)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimoore View Post
    Okay so I have been racking my brain the past week on why names were coming up weird and why certain dialogues were empty. So I was like "Hey lets try and validate the file through the game FFXI config program". So I open up FFXI config and clicked the validate files button and began launching the game as per normal. Guess what? It noticed that a few files were missing. It ran a proper download of all the missing files and everything works again.so here are your steps:

1. Boot up FFXI and find the "Validate game files" button and click it, then exit FFXI Config.
    2. Boot up Playonline and let POL run the validation process.

If this doesnt work for you try reinstalling the game entirely.
    I wasn't aware there was another way to check files besides the button in the login menu of the playonline viewer. And it produced different results? very weird.
    (0)

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    I wasn't aware there was another way to check files besides the button in the login menu of the playonline viewer. And it produced different results? very weird.
    It's new... ish. I think it was implemented with the changes in the May. 10, 2019 (JST) Version Update.

I don't think it should produce different results however, but it is different in that if you trigger it from the config utility, the game client acts as if there was an update available, and performs the steps similar to that when launching the game. I would not be surprised though, if it checked entirely different things than what the check via the PlayOnline Viewers start screen checks... but it would be at least a bit weird.

That said, testing them out now after a long while, I do notice that the start screen check mentions going through 59464 files while the "version update check" went through a little over 47000 files, so there's that.

It is interesting that there was such an issue here, since the changes to the areas seemed to be a server-side only, meaning there was no game client change required, and only the areas in question were unavailable for a short while. Perhaps there was something else going on as well that managed to upset the local files.

(As a sidey-note, I also play on Linux, via Wine, but I don't use anything that would alter the game behaviour or otherwise interact with its data. I was online in game during the time the change was reverted, checked the areas in question after they were done, and indeed the issue was gone with that for me.)
    (1)
    ...or so the legend says.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2