Thread: in Game GM call

Character
    Tzanbatsu
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 95

in Game GM call

I called a GM last night about a dropped item and haven't heard ANYTHING back its been over 8hrs and not even a message? this is crazy! I've placed called this am also and nothing.

Edit: Finally got back to me after calling last night (so 8-9hrs?) to tell me a Musa is NOT a recoverable item and "Out of their scope of practice"
    (4)
    Last edited by tzanbatsu; 07-30-2021 at 09:46 PM.

Player
    How simple it would be to simply HELP A PLAYER WHO MADE A MISTAKE.

But no. You're unworthy. That's how much the company thinks of you.

Nevermind the fact that it takes multiple hours to even be told no. Inexcusable support.
    (4)
    Last edited by Yvone; 07-30-2021 at 10:28 PM.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Recovering a lost item is an "out of the goodness of your heart" type of deal. The game has tons of are you sures and confirmations, so their perspective is it's your fault. That's why they grant item restores, but only once, and it has to have been reported right after it happens. The rules are strict on this to prevent exploitation. Further, if they just casually restore any item someone throws away, everyone would do it and it would literally take up all the time they have for providing any other kind of support. A line has to be drawn somewhere. They just drew theirs in a conservative location.

It's not inexcusable, and most games would treat you the same way. If you don't want to be put in this position, make sure any gear items you truly care about are in your wardrobes where they can't be thrown away without being moved to the inventory first.

Also: FFXI's GM staff is shared with FFXIV's and that game is experiencing a period of unprecedented demand, leading to all GM calls taking much longer than usual Your wait time is definitely not unusual. Even in the best of times they usually take at least half an hour.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 07-31-2021 at 02:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    Recovering a lost item is an "out of the goodness of your heart" type of deal.
    Please don't white-knight SE over this. The one-time item recovery is a service they offer, but due to supposed technical reasons they won't even attempt to restore some of the most costly (time and gil) items in the game. Don't you see how this is a problem?
    (4)
    It's your server.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Catmato View Post
    Please don't white-knight SE over this. The one-time item recovery is a service they offer, but due to supposed technical reasons they won't even attempt to restore some of the most costly (time and gil) items in the game. Don't you see how this is a problem?
    No, I don't. Many games don't offer the ability to do this at all. Which is why you should be more careful. I really don't understand how anyone can even get to the "Are you really sure you want to throw away BIG IMPORTANT ITEM THAT SHOULDN"T BE IN YOUR REGULAR INVENTORY ANYWAY"?

To throw something away, you have to select it, select drop (which isn't the default option), select yes (which is deliberately swapped so you have to conciously select it, and stackable items require you to set the number by pressing left/right), and then for rare/ex items there's a further prompt which requires you to press in a different direction from all the previous menus. How do you get this far without being totally and utterly careless? I'm going to assume you had a lot of junk you wanted to get rid of so you repeatedly pressed up enter up enter. But the different prompt for the R/Ex item should have stopped you. If it didn't, well I don't know what to say. I don't think SE has an obligation to protect someone who ignores like three opportunities to cancel tossing something. And if you DO toss something important, you at least ought to realize the mistake right away. They give people a week to make a claim.

I mean, I sympathize with you- it really sucks that you lost something valuable, but they aren't under any obligation to help you. Ideally they'd make an in-game system for this i.e. the Calamity Salvager in FFXIV, which records any one-time-obtainable items you get and allows you to buy a replacement if lost. I'm not white knighting them here, but they have rules and a policy laid out. Personally, I have accidentally sold stuff to vendors before while mass-selling prize powder. But REMAs are also immune to that since they can't be sold. There's a certain irony to this because a frequent suggestion that used to come up was us asking SE to remove confirmation prompts. Well, this is why they exist.

And for anyone reading this, I can';t stress it enough: Don't leave REMA weapons in your regular inventory. Put them in the wardrobe. The wardrobe is a super shield of can't-accidentally-toss-it.

If you had an augmented weapon, that's the technical reason they can't restore those. You can potentially have them give you back an unaugmented weapon so you don't lose ALL work. but the in-game system to conjure up items can only create plain items, there's no way for them to input data for the aumgents (Players had access to this on the Test Server back when we had that)
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 07-31-2021 at 07:08 AM.

Because people make mistakes. People are on autopilot when throwing stuff away. Sometimes something enters your inventory when you have something highlighted, causing the highlight to shift to another item. People aren't perfect. That's the ENTIRE REASON THE SERVICE EXISTS. And where are you getting the idea that OP waited over a week to make the GM call?

Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    If you had an augmented weapon, that's the technical reason they can't restore those. You can potentially have them give you back an unaugmented weapon so you don't lose ALL work. but the in-game system to conjure up items can only create plain items, there's no way for them to input data for the aumgents (Players had access to this on the Test Server back when we had that)
    Then why didn't they do this for OP's weapon? I bet he would be thrilled to get a 70mil item back, even if he'd have to re-augment it.

Other people have had stuff like relics restored to their pre-augmented state, but it's not consistent. I'd bet that most of the support staff knows so little about the game, they'd have no idea where to start so they just deny it. A significant percentage of valuable items are augmented, much more than when the policy was implemented. It needs to be revisited, but that won't happen if people keep white-knighting them, claiming it's fine the way it is, claiming we should be thankful to have the service in the first place. If the service won't replace the most valuable items in the game, it may as well not exist.

Also, for reference, it's not even a one-time deal.
    (2)
    It's your server.

Character
    Tzanbatsu
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 95
    The thing is that it WAS reported right after it was dropped... I had to re-call in the AM after waiting all night. They used to be able to restore an item NP and/or roll back your account(Had this done on another char when I was hacked back in the day) IDK if they gave me back an unaugmented item I was willing to use the "Item restore" which I CAN use on another item just CANNOT use on the Musa as the GM said specifically was a shitty mistake, but was hoping I wouldn't have to be out another 90m to buy it and augment it... not really left to do then re-get it though; The thing is it took them 8-9hrs to even answer my call after I had to call back then without an investigation just said they could not restore it.
    (2)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Catmato View Post
    Also, for reference, it's not even a one-time deal.
    That page doesn't mention it but it's been well established that they will only do it once, with the only exception being if your account was compromised despite having a security token. Unless you can point to a time (wayback machine might help) where it said that to show that it's been changed. When they first announced that they would offer this service, they had stated then that they would only do it once per account. And there have been GM calls where GMs ask if the person is sure they want to use it.

If there was no limit on this, people would be calling GMs every day for help withe very little thing they vendor or toss by accident and that would dominate all the support requests.

And where are you getting the idea that OP waited over a week to make the GM call?
    I never specifically said they did, however a lot of the times this has come up it turned out the poster hadn't made a GM call until long after the item was lost (possibly because they didn't know it was missing until they went looking for it) From what I've seen this is the most common reason these requests are denied.

Then why didn't they do this for OP's weapon? I bet he would be thrilled to get a 70mil item back, even if he'd have to re-augment it.
    Negotiation is key, if the GM says something like "we wont do this" despite that you do meet the conditions outlined by support, then I would say "Can you do [this thing] instead?"

Also, you can always ask for your support call to be escalated to senior staff if the GM that responds can't/won't resolve your problem.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 08-01-2021 at 10:11 AM.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by tzanbatsu View Post
    The thing is that it WAS reported right after it was dropped... I had to re-call in the AM after waiting all night. They used to be able to restore an item NP and/or roll back your account(Had this done on another char when I was hacked back in the day) IDK if they gave me back an unaugmented item I was willing to use the "Item restore" which I CAN use on another item just CANNOT use on the Musa as the GM said specifically was a shitty mistake, but was hoping I wouldn't have to be out another 90m to buy it and augment it... not really left to do then re-get it though; The thing is it took them 8-9hrs to even answer my call after I had to call back then without an investigation just said they could not restore it.
    In your case I would probably request escalation to an SGM/LGM. They will honor such requests but it can take longer to get a response. That said, there is the possibility that they will be more empathetic to your circumstances.
    (0)

Character
    Tzanbatsu
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 95
    I did they told me I would need to write an email to support to appeal of the claim. I told them I didn't care if it was augmented I would just like to save myself the Gil for a pure accident ><
    (1)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast