Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Player

Small required change for /assist.

The warning button is basically nothing more than a thumbs down feature, the issue with it is that a) it's anonymous b) it can be used by any mentor for any reason they feel like c) it's called "A Warning!" and d) Nobody else can see it except the person who gets it, which encourages bullying behavior.

This means one person that obtained mentor and hates people or just enjoys trolling can give people warnings for any reason they want, and due to the nature of the wording they can think it's far more serious than it actually is and that they did something wrong.

A new player asking for help and getting a warning is not going to use this feature again, and is going to be pretty mortified. Not knowing it was some mouth breather that did it for fun.

This feature is custom made for a handful of people to discourage use of this chat system over time and bully users who are using it properly.

I would suggest:

Either remove the warning system (why is it even necessary when you have the silence option) or make them viewable by all when someone gives one out (or at least all mentors so we know if someone is abusing it and know who is doing it).

The main argument for its removable is, why is there no downvote system on this forum? Because it would be abused, it's the same in the game. People are abusing it.
    (6)
    Last edited by Pixela; 04-06-2021 at 08:11 PM.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    why is it even necessary when you have the silence option
    I remind you that the ability to suppress bad behavior with a feature (i.e. language filters for chat, etc) is not a license to engage in bad behvior, these are things people should only have to use as a last resort, ideally people don't behave bad and thus the feature isn't necessary in the first place.

FFXIV has the novice network, and mentors can kick each other as well as the sprouts, the reality is the threat of account bans or suspensions is enough to prevent most misuse. Occasionally something stupid happens like a kick war where someone thinks the other person's kick wasn't justified and thus kicks them for abuse of the kick feature, and it repeats til people realize how stupid that is. But for the most part, the novice network has served the game well despite the periodic stupidity.
    (0)

Player
    I noticed the Famitus interview:

https://www.famitsu.com/news/202105/14220565.html

translated by a player on ffxiah

Changing tracks a bit here. Assist Channel. Ain't nobody using it! What do?
    Fujito: I don't think you can say it's not being used, but it certainly isn't the helpful tool we envisioned. However, the tool's power is really in the hands of the community, not on our side. We can do things like expand the areas it can be used in, but we're not sure it will be used even if we do. We want to limit our participation in the channel as that would change the role of the channel. The assist channel can be a place to ask for help or ask simple questions. We received feedback that it's hard to hold a conversation with the limits on the channel, but remember you can always use /tell or join a party.
    You need to address the issues I posted in OP, when one person can warn others and basically stop them using it then people are going to stop using it.

Also yes, do as suggested and allow it to be used in all areas.

Also, increase the amount of time new players can use it. One of the biggest problems is there aren't many people outside of mentors that can use it for very long.
    (3)

Character
    Zehira
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Good point and yes expand the areas it can be used in but keep it out of all the battle areas (like BCNM, DynaD, Omen, etc.) so that doesn't bother players fighting.

/Assist channel seems to be useful on Asura only.
    (0)
    Last edited by Zehira; 05-19-2021 at 02:52 AM.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Zehira View Post
    Good point and yes expand the areas it can be used in but keep it out of all the battle areas (like BCNM, DynaD, Omen, etc.) so that doesn't bother players fighting.

/Assist channel seems to be useful on Asura only.
    Asura isn't the only server with people on it.
    In fairness, too many new people are being given advice to go to Asura, we need to start steering them towards other servers to improve everyone's experience.
    (3)

Character
    Zehira
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    Asura isn't the only server with people on it.
    In fairness, too many new people are being given advice to go to Asura, we need to start steering them towards other servers to improve everyone's experience.
    If I recall correctly, the OP came from Shiva so...

I don't call your servers "dead", I call them "small" servers just to be more polite. They seem only care about their old friends and soloing the content. Um, it does sound like a depression to me but on Asura we are supposed to focus on teaming up doing any further content. To improve your server you have to do something like I used to be, you know, Haruhi Suzumiya with bunny outfit recruiting players to join our server.
    (1)

Character
    Haldarn
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    /sea all on Shiva on Sunday returned over a thousand players. Maybe I shouldn't be advertising the fact though - keep all those gilsellers uninterested and on Asura.

Adding more people to my server will not improve it! I think the server populations are well-spread. If you want an Asura experience: gilsellers, mercs, overcrowding - go for it. If you want an experience with a normal population server those exist too. If you want play alone or with a small group, you finally have that option.

However, it is frustrating when Asura players complain that something is wrong with the game without taking a moment to think that actually it's just a problem on their server. Unfortunately, the best solution for you is a server transfer (or changing the attitudes of people on the server en masse). I do sympathise with the cost and have always thought that you should get one server transfer for free per year (or five years) or something.
    (4)
    It all began with a stone...

Character
    Zehira
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Unfortunately, the best solution for you is a server transfer (or changing the attitudes of people on the server en masse).
    To be clear, I am totally fine on Asura as it is. I supported the argument that created the /assist channel last year.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Haldarn View Post
    /sea all on Shiva on Sunday returned over a thousand players. Maybe I shouldn't be advertising the fact though - keep all those gilsellers uninterested and on Asura.

Adding more people to my server will not improve it! I think the server populations are well-spread. If you want an Asura experience: gilsellers, mercs, overcrowding - go for it. If you want an experience with a normal population server those exist too. If you want play alone or with a small group, you finally have that option.

However, it is frustrating when Asura players complain that something is wrong with the game without taking a moment to think that actually it's just a problem on their server. Unfortunately, the best solution for you is a server transfer (or changing the attitudes of people on the server en masse). I do sympathise with the cost and have always thought that you should get one server transfer for free per year (or five years) or something.

Shiva's really not in a bad spot. But I think everyone would benefit from the server populations being more balanced. We have basically 3 servers with like 75% of the population. Asura is the reason they created a second zone for Ambuscade. But you make a good point, don't want to compromise the relatively RMT-free experience.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    Shiva's really not in a bad spot. But I think everyone would benefit from the server populations being more balanced. We have basically 3 servers with like 75% of the population. Asura is the reason they created a second zone for Ambuscade. But you make a good point, don't want to compromise the relatively RMT-free experience.
    No, because some people want a very busy server and are willing to take the negatives for that and some people want a very small server they can play with their friends on.
    (1)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast