Just as the title says...
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Frankly I'm glad there's at least one game that wants you to think about your character carefully before creating it.

But if it hasn't happened in 18 years, I'm not holding my breath that it will change.

If you really want to do it, there's ways of doing it.....
    (0)

Player
    I don't get why they refuse to offer this.

I get that they probably don't want to pay an engineer to make a specific program to interact with the database to do it automatically, but can't they just pay someone to do it manually once a month during maintenance? It's literally just changing numbers in a database.
    (1)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I don't get why they refuse to offer this.
    If's for the exact reason I stated, they wanted people to think about their character and the decisions they make carefully, therefore they did not make any plans to offer the ability to change these things as it would be an immersion break, something they were really serious about in the early days.

I mean you and I know that man is a fickle creature.

For character customization, there's no system for that, but there's no technical reason why they couldn't allow name changes because a system already exists to do so- it just requires that you transfer servers and the system forces you to change names if a character already exists with that name. GMs also have the ability to require inappropriate names to be changed.

That said, I'm kind of against name changes for the potential for abuse to escape bad reputations.

Edit for addendum: I see this all the time, particularly in the FFXIV PvP community,, where some people play on multiple alt characters and regularly change their names so it's harder to identify the particular person who's inting/throwing/being a jerk (Why they want to throw so much money at staying anonymous in content only a few people care about is beyond me, but it happens really often. Everyone knows everyone in the community, so whenever you see some new name in a match and they play like a god, you know they are not new). I imagine that this stuff happens in the raiding community as well over there.
    (1)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 01-27-2021 at 07:10 AM.

Character
    Focaccia
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 75
    I just wanna post and say I agree with wanting an option to change appearance, at least insofar as hair for your race goes. For example with my Elvaan, I really like the sporty slickback look the face I chose has, but I'm the kind of person to dye my hair and change it often IRL, so I do get an itch to change it somehow often! I know that hair is tied to face though... But you know they say that a hairstyle can really change how your face looks, haha, that could be an excuse for it.
    (1)