Player

Money making for new player?

SO a buddy got me into the game about a month ago. We only play on the weekends and between kids and family responsibilities we don't get much of that. He's taken me to places, no idea where or what I was doing, and just had us farm mobs to get some leveling in. 50 white mange, 28 black. All I've done is follow him around, killing with the few spells he has given me to use.

Now, I want to try and play some on my own. Downside: I've only got my white spells to about level 24 and the same on black. Stuff just isn't dying. We went through the quest to get me the summonable NPC party members, but they can only do so much. I need money. Not just for spells, but for proper gear. What's the best way to go about this? We tried farming the grass you need for the chocobo license quest, but it's drop rate is pretty shoddy and splitting it between us didn't go far.

TLDR: Need $ to get proper spells and gear. In some low level vendor gear. What can I farm/do to earn the hundreds of thousands I'd need just to get my spells? more for proper gear.
    (2)

Player
    Whm isn't a terribly good job for making things dead quickly and that will become more apparent and frustrating as you continue to rise in levels. I would suggest leveling war or mnk first to 99 so you can kill things more efficiently. Thf being leveled would help the gil situation also. Many people level alts/new characters to 99 on melee jobs with just a weapon bought with sparks so they are also gil efficient to level.

For gil, set Records of Eminence objectives to earn the sparks to get your gear and you can also buy acheron shields and sell them, with a cap of 1m gil a week being made from them. Repeatable ROE like crystals are a good passive source for sparks. Starting out, you will not be making millions of gil. In few weeks, you can try your luck at Trove and you can possibly get some money drops.
    (2)

Character
    Holthaus
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    I'm like you, short on time from family, teaching, writing, play-by-play, and voiceover commitments. I think it's time to reboot just a little bit to target where you want to go from here. Since you obviously like the game, I recommend you build on that and work your way into the gil at the end of your run to level 99 and item level 119. There are low-level money things out there, but they're more of a time impact on progressing through to end-game or enjoying missions and storylines on the run up to 99. All good things come to those who are patient yet doing deliberately repeatable things in the game.

First thing you need to do is get up to speed on a few resources to use for your research. BG-Wiki.com, FFXIclopedia (with a McAfee ad block on for auto-plays of their ads), and FFXIAH.com will give you some places to look up playing/gil-earning guides and items from time-to-time. BG-Wiki's quick start guide to 119 (link on the main page) is a good one. I also recommend Cloudchief Arcade on YouTube and, after 99, NextGames. Cloudchief has developed straightforward videos you can watch of his mule leveling streams and a gil guide that covers the Acheron Shield sparks burn mentioned above. The Limited-time Objective for Earn EXP is repeatable and will help you reload sparks most quickly. NextGames does a good job posting reviews and sample fights on the new Ambuscades each month plus guidance on how to farm at lvl 99.

Second thing you need to do is get your Mog Garden going. 10 minutes a day is around 30k gil a day (resetting at midnight JST) through NPC-only sales when all HELM, Fishing, and Gardening Furrow nodes are at level 7. Plus, Monster Rearing has a thing where you can raise up to 4 sheep at a time for a few weeks and cash in by sending them back home, let alone other benefits from monster rearing momentos and monster-specific item harvesting. Overall, you can AH some of the items in singles and stacks or just NPC them, just depends on your research.

You don't have to be in Adoulin to level up the Mog Garden nodes, but it helps as you can convert your RoE copper vouchers to bayld and talk to Zennica in Adoulin for key items purchases. You can do the early node levels with gil (10k, 20k, 40k for levels 2, 3, and 4 respectively), but levels 5-7 should really be purchased in Adoulin with bayld to save some money.

As a side note, it's worth using login points and doing seasonal events as some of the obtainable armor/weapon items have specific area warps you can use in the future (separate from the Warp Ring, which is Home Point specific) and items you can generate and NPC (although not for much, but just being able to say you know how to make Moogurt and Mog Pudding is fun). Plus, they're just plain fun to do, even if it's just to get a costume enchantment.

You're looking at up to 24 active leveling/mission/questing hours to get from 1 to 99 on the first lvl 99 run-through on any characters these days using an Echad Ring. Make sure you get the Rhapsody in White ASAP to run out four trust NPCs instead of three with each leveling run. Bank the Copper Vouchers with the Sparks Vendor for later use to convert to Bayld and run to Adoulin to pick up your beginner iLvl 119 gear once you hit 99. Get Sparks iLvl 117 gear for any other complementary needs. Finally, Having a 99 THF with the treasure hunter bonuses and the ability to pick coffer and chest locks helps in a farming economy like this game. Most people are trading on things that will help them upgrade their REMA weapons and armor, and it's better to have THF at 99 to help out with that as a gil fountain option then most other things.

For crafting, if you choose one, be deliberate about what recipes you use, and take your time. Don't blow gil just to level it up, HELM what you need to do it for free over time, save what you need for later recipes as you need to.

Overall, in this game, pick your path according to what you are comfortable with, and learn your main 99 job wisely with the help of YouTube and lots of questions.

Hope this helps. Stay safe, be well, and Happy New Year!
    (1)

Player
    @Tharly - BLM will be my main, or was intended to be. We were leveling my WHM up so that I wouldn't have to come back and do it later as my secondary. I'll look into....all..that stuff that you mentioned. Looks like I got alot of googling ahead of me.

@edsports1 - I'll begin looking into all of those sites. I didn't even know we had a garden. It will take me some time to go through all of that, but here's to hoping it helps.

Thank you both for the responses. I'll work on them as I can over the next few weeks.
    (0)